Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Loose motor after flight

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Gaylen Bartlett, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Gaylen Bartlett

Greetings -

I just recently purchased a Phantom 3 professional from an individual who had only flown it twice (allegedly). The story appeared to be true as everything appeared to be brand new. On my second flight I noticed that the top of aircraft cover had a wear mark in it, turns out it was from the propeller constantly hitting it as it rotated. After further inspection I discovered a completely loose motor were almost all of the screws were ready to fall out. It also turned out that all of the other screws on the other 3 motors were loose as well. Just wondering if this is common, a manufacturing error or something that might have happened before I purchased it. Everything is tight now and it seems to all be good, just curious if this is something that I should constantly be on the look out for!

2. beamerbuilder1

I've heard of the motor screws possibly being too tight from the manufacturer which was causing cracks in the plastic shell, but haven't read anything about the screws being too loose.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Gaylen Bartlett likes this.
  3. msinger

Approved Vendor

That is not a common issue, but it's not a bad idea to check the screws every X flights.

4. N017RW

Maybe the previous owner had prop guards and never sufficiently tightened after removal?
    I have never had mine come loose on any of my Phantoms.
    Fix the problem and inspect regularly.

Dronason and Gaylen Bartlett like this.
  5. Oso

Oso

As noted by @N017RW , it could have been previously installed prop guards. Since you've already tightened them, please check carefully that none of the motors were damaged. We've seen several reports of people removing prop guards and then using incorrect screws (too long) which end up damaging the windings. Hopefully this didn't also happen to you.

6. Multicoptertec

I will add that if the screws were over tightened, the threads may be stripped. If they can be tightened, I would add a very tiny amount of blue loctite to keep them secure.

7. N017RW

Great advice above.

But because DJI required longer screws for use only with prop guards we have to deal with these other cautions which can become overlooked. Since it has been a problem for so long one could assume everyone knows about it by now.

I'm sure M-coptertech would agree that... be careful with LocTite around plastic. Use a type rated for plastic exposure or allow it to cure on the screw before using. The fumes, VOCs, etc. can make the plastic brittle and then your looking at a new shell or some home-brew repair techniques.

#7 N017RW, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    BigAl07 likes this.
  8. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know about that last part. It was reported how loctite will actually MELT some types of resins used in our industry. I know that at one time BLADE quads were having prop issues and it was later determined and proven (in a verified laboratory setting) that it was due to Loctite being used on the screws. The compound was in fact weaking the plastic and causing in air prop failures.

9. Multicoptertec

Loctite 425 is safe for plastics.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

beamerbuilder1 and V tail like this.