Loose motor after flight

Reaction score
Greetings -

I just recently purchased a Phantom 3 professional from an individual who had only flown it twice (allegedly). The story appeared to be true as everything appeared to be brand new. On my second flight I noticed that the top of aircraft cover had a wear mark in it, turns out it was from the propeller constantly hitting it as it rotated. After further inspection I discovered a completely loose motor were almost all of the screws were ready to fall out. It also turned out that all of the other screws on the other 3 motors were loose as well. Just wondering if this is common, a manufacturing error or something that might have happened before I purchased it. Everything is tight now and it seems to all be good, just curious if this is something that I should constantly be on the look out for!

I've heard of the motor screws possibly being too tight from the manufacturer which was causing cracks in the plastic shell, but haven't read anything about the screws being too loose.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Gaylen Bartlett
That is not a common issue, but it's not a bad idea to check the screws every X flights.

Maybe the previous owner had prop guards and never sufficiently tightened after removal?
I have never had mine come loose on any of my Phantoms.
Fix the problem and inspect regularly.

Greetings -

I just recently purchased a Phantom 3 professional from an individual who had only flown it twice (allegedly). The story appeared to be true as everything appeared to be brand new. On my second flight I noticed that the top of aircraft cover had a wear mark in it, turns out it was from the propeller constantly hitting it as it rotated. After further inspection I discovered a completely loose motor were almost all of the screws were ready to fall out. It also turned out that all of the other screws on the other 3 motors were loose as well. Just wondering if this is common, a manufacturing error or something that might have happened before I purchased it. Everything is tight now and it seems to all be good, just curious if this is something that I should constantly be on the look out for!
As noted by @N017RW , it could have been previously installed prop guards. Since you've already tightened them, please check carefully that none of the motors were damaged. We've seen several reports of people removing prop guards and then using incorrect screws (too long) which end up damaging the windings. Hopefully this didn't also happen to you.

Great advice above.

But because DJI required longer screws for use only with prop guards we have to deal with these other cautions which can become overlooked. Since it has been a problem for so long one could assume everyone knows about it by now.

I'm sure M-coptertech would agree that... be careful with LocTite around plastic. Use a type rated for plastic exposure or allow it to cure on the screw before using. The fumes, VOCs, etc. can make the plastic brittle and then your looking at a new shell or some home-brew repair techniques.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I will add that if the screws were over tightened, the threads may be stripped. If they can be tightened, I would add a very tiny amount of blue loctite to keep them secure.

I don't know about that last part. It was reported how loctite will actually MELT some types of resins used in our industry. I know that at one time BLADE quads were having prop issues and it was later determined and proven (in a verified laboratory setting) that it was due to Loctite being used on the screws. The compound was in fact weaking the plastic and causing in air prop failures.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj