Looks like I have a jello gimbal! What can I do? :(

Reaction score
So my P3P arrived today, was really excited to try it out. First flight went well, took it really slowly, took some photos and video which came out well, except the video appears to have that "jello" effect I've been seeing around. What do you guys think:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have of course taken off the gimbal lock AND the foam protector.

Anything I can do to remedy this? It was taken at 4K default settings (and has been scaled down to 1080P, though the effect was still present in the raw footage)

Could it be: shutter speed, framerate, balancing, gimbal calibration, anything you think might help even if it might seem obvious to you!

Many thanks in advance

So my P3P arrived today, was really excited to try it out. First flight went well, took it really slowly, took some photos and video which came out well, except the video appears to have that "jello" effect I've been seeing around. What do you guys think:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have of course taken off the gimbal lock AND the foam protector.

Anything I can do to remedy this? It was taken at 4K default settings (and has been scaled down to 1080P, though the effect was still present in the raw footage)

Could it be: shutter speed, framerate, balancing, gimbal calibration, anything you think might help even if it might seem obvious to you!

Many thanks in advance
Did you go thru all the firmware and controller upgrade, do an IMU and gimbal calibration before you tried it out. Just suggestions.. you might try to use an ND filter also-- that helps with some jello effects.

Did you go thru all the firmware and controller upgrade, do an IMU and gimbal calibration before you tried it out. Just suggestions.. you might try to use an ND filter also-- that helps with some jello effects.

Thanks for the suggestions.
- Pilot app reports latest firmware
- I did not do an IMU calibration, I'll do one now and try again tomorrow when the sun comes up. Also gimbal calibration might help though I assumed that would just stop the tilted horizon. Anyway I will give both of those a try and report back tomorrow.
- I don't have an ND filter handy but I don't think I should see the jello effect without it anyway, since most people don't report jello without it. How does an ND filter help?

do the claibrations--both-- I have seen several recommendations from photographers who say that the ND filter will minimize minor jello-- it also protects the lens in that expensive camera. My filter came with a camera protection cap which I put on as soon as I stop flying.
There are also some other posts today regarding jello effects. You might want to review all those also.

Reactions: Trumple
Thanks for the help. I did a gimbal calibration and made a 3rd flight, it seems ot have improved though that could be due to the low lighting level. I'll investigate in brighter conditions when it clears up in a few days, but it looks like an ND filter might be necessary if the gimbal calibration hasn't solved it already.

Thanks for the recommendation

Maybe try to balance your props. Unbalanced props are also known for causing jello.

Hi trumple,

It looks fuzzy on my large screen, as if you had some dirt on your front lens.

Didn't you forget to remove the plastic film in front of the lens ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic