Looking to start flying in Atti mode on Phantom 3

Reaction score
I have about 15 flights under my belt after starting fresh and am looking to practice flying in Atti mode to improve my flying. I have read the manual inside out and am planning on taking it out tomorrow to give it a shot. Is there any advice that anyone can give me? Stuff to watch out for? Anything that the very brief P3 manual might not have mentioned? Even the steps in preparation for take off. Been unable to find anything else on here, sorry if I have started a repeat thread. Cheers

Make sure you have Multiple Flight Mode enabled in the DJI Pilot application -- and, stay above the trees and any other obstacles until you get a feel for flying in ATTI :)

Reactions: snowghost
Get a V262 quad copter from ML Toys for $89 and have loads of fun learning to fly ATI. Then go try it on the Phantom. You will like the toy V262 better for just playing around.

Reactions: snowghost
Go to a really big farm field. If you find yourself panicking, flip the switch to GPS mode and it will basically stabilize where it is. This should be your panic response. Practice switching back and fourth.

The big difference is that in ATTI the quad will drift. It's not a huge difference, but you will see that you have less control.

Absolutely more difficult, but that's where the fun is - that, and flying around obstacles! Everyone can capture the 400' panoramic shot, but it takes skill and practice to get the difficult ones. So I practice in ATTI, but shoot in GPS. Also, one can shoot in ATTI while drifting with the wind for a unique video...

I also practice reacting to pending threats (imaginary, during practice), so I don't need to think about it when that tree looms near....

I have flown my three models of Phantom, 1,2 & 3 in ATTI 99% of the time.
I use GPS for take off and landing.
Atti is alot faster speed wise.
I believe it uses less battery in Atti, as it isnt constantly correcting.
But as earlier stated IT WILL DRIFT like a boat.
Have had many run ins with trees.
The shop I bought my 1.1.1 from reckons you are not a drone pilot until your flying
ATTI.
GPS = Granny gear.

I've tried it twice now................ both times I quickly switched back to normal! The boat analogy is right on.......... when you let go of the sticks, it just keeps drifting. I decided I'm not quite ready yet.

Its awesome to apply those editing for the atti mode. Its help you bird to not drift to much while your moving it.

I have about 15 flights under my belt after starting fresh and am looking to practice flying in Atti mode to improve my flying. I have read the manual inside out and am planning on taking it out tomorrow to give it a shot. Is there any advice that anyone can give me? Stuff to watch out for? Anything that the very brief P3 manual might not have mentioned? Even the steps in preparation for take off. Been unable to find anything else on here, sorry if I have started a repeat thread. Cheers

Flying in ATTI mode is not much of a leap from flying in GPS mode. The MAIN difference you will notice when flying is there is no position hold. Your Phantom will drift as the wind sees fit. Another thing is you can go slightly faster but if you go full tilt on the throttle in ATTI mode vs GPS you can possibly loose some altitude which is something to be mindful of when flying low. Other than that it's all the same, your quad still uses it's flight controller IMU and such to keep your quad balanced and easy to fly.

i was thinking if i fly up high max altitude and somehow want to get down fast....is by switching to ATTI mode i can make my p3 drop a bit faster?

quasimodo, the max descent speed is 3 m/s no matter which mode you're flying in.

Reactions: omarkatwe
quasimodo, the max descent speed is 3 m/s no matter which mode you're flying in.
OIC...in that case why at the first place DJI made the ATTI mode? please tell me if others pilots use this ATTI for something that i dont know. FYI other brands they reserve this 1 mode is for sports flying...everything is fast response from the stick input....intend to do acrobatics but still have GPS lock. how good is that? or this mode can be used to fly inside rather than outside no GPS lock of course. so the response will be sensitive but distance travel will be limited. so easy to move in tight spaces.

so DJI please make this ATTI mode usable to pilots. if the mode is without GPS lock who wants to use it? as a pilot sometimes I need that speed to get away when i want to....and also i need the accuracy if im going to tight spaces.....its either one or make it both...

thanks DJI.

so DJI please make this ATTI mode usable to pilots. if the mode is without GPS lock who wants to use it?
That is the whole point of ATTI -- to fly without the assistance of GPS.

Reactions: bobmyers
From my experiments, I don't think the Phantom 3 is any faster in ATTI mode compared to GPS mode.

This is unlike my Phantom 2 Vision+ (with old v1.08 firmware), where the maximum angle of roll and pitch was greater thus allowing more speed (even if altitude was lost at maximum speed).

For those of you who own other types of multi rotors, especially the racing FPV quads, you'll know that ATTI is a piece of cake compared to full manual-only gyro mode (they call this acro mode). There is only the gyro maintaining your angle, no barometer to maintain altitude, no accelerometer to level you out, no GPS. It's not practical in a camera drone like the Phantom 3, but it is the norm for racing drones.

I would recommend purchasing a small quad like a Syma X5c and practice with that until you get the hang of it. I fly my X5c all the time while the P3P is charging up.. Great fun [emoji57]

Reactions: Itay

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl