Looking to get into Racing Quads

Reaction score
So I've been flying drones for almost a year now, learning with the nano quad, then to the DJI Phantom FC40, then to the Phantom 3 Standard. With the FC40, I got into modding and learning how to use a phantom, and with the P3S I got into photography, video, FPV and recently distance flying.

Now, I am looking to get into racing quads, I just have no idea where to start. Does anyone on here fly racing quads? Any opinions on if I should get a ARTF/RTF one to start off, or should I just build my my own. I know how to put a quad together, I just dont know whats compatible with what in terms of Motors/ESCs/Flight Controllers/Transmitter. Not looking to spend too much money, but a solid 180 or 250 size quad for a reasonable price. Let me know if anyone can help. Thanks!!

There are lots of good cheap options for 250 frames. Hobbyking do a clone qav250 which i would go for if starting now.

I'd avoid rtf as they are either overpriced or junk or both :) Much better to build your own so you can easily fix as needed, they are pretty tough though.

Motors and esc depend if you will run 3s or 4s. For fun 3s is ample and simpler so your looking for 1806 or 2204 motors around 2300kv to run cheap 5x3 props such as gemfan. I like self tightening prop nuts so emax are good budget option but lots of choice depending on what you want to spend.

Esc look for oneshot firmware as everyone is going that way or escs you can easily reflash for future compatibility.

Motors and esc get 6 so you have spares from same batch.

Most fun is if you can get a few friends to build similar or identical quads to race against otherwise it gets very expensive as you each upgrade and go faster so they do etc etc.

Airgates can be cheaply made from pvc pipe and foam lagging if you google "helifreak setup fpv racing group" there is a ton of info i stuck up a while back.

One of my fave vids from this year.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolvesfc and Jay H
There are lots of good cheap options for 250 frames. Hobbyking do a clone qav250 which i would go for if starting now.

I'd avoid rtf as they are either overpriced or junk or both :) Much better to build your own so you can easily fix as needed, they are pretty tough though.

Motors and esc depend if you will run 3s or 4s. For fun 3s is ample and simpler so your looking for 1806 or 2204 motors around 2300kv to run cheap 5x3 props such as gemfan. I like self tightening prop nuts so emax are good budget option but lots of choice depending on what you want to spend.

Esc look for oneshot firmware as everyone is going that way or escs you can easily reflash for future compatibility.

Motors and esc get 6 so you have spares from same batch.

Most fun is if you can get a few friends to build similar or identical quads to race against otherwise it gets very expensive as you each upgrade and go faster so they do etc etc.

Airgates can be cheaply made from pvc pipe and foam lagging if you search helifreak start fpv racing group there is a ton of info i stuck up a while back.

One of my fave vids from this year.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the info, are you using naze32? and what transmitter are you using?

I'm using kk2.0 and naze32 fcs. any tx is fine as you don't need any special features really. I have a dx6 and a taranis still in its box. Whatever you have should be fine.

Still under construction but live :) Drone Racing Forum
dr-pilots-logo-150w.png

Reactions: dirtybum
If cheap is your goal then a diy 250 is a pretty safe choice. I built one for under 200 and could have gone cheaper(including fpv gear)

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

racing drone.jpg
So I've been flying drones for almost a year now, learning with the nano quad, then to the DJI Phantom FC40, then to the Phantom 3 Standard. With the FC40, I got into modding and learning how to use a phantom, and with the P3S I got into photography, video, FPV and recently distance flying.
Now, I am looking to get into racing quads, I just have no idea where to start. Does anyone on here fly racing quads?

Hey Jay, I was exactly in your shoes a month or so ago as far as the phantom experience and wanting a race drone. I found a seller on ebay and actually started emailing with him and bought straight from him. He's from Ireland, and his name is Joe, he also has a bunch of youtube videos. I agree with James, do not buy a pre packaged rtf drone, but...this Joe guy sells a 250 Storm and he builds it himself and sends it to you (almost) ready to fly, you have to get your own batteries and/or go pro. He has several different size packages, some are just the drone others have a lot of extras. I am TOTALLY happy with my purchase from him, he was very helpful via email questions, and I feel I am almost ready to build my own, just from using mine and questions/problems that have come up. Here is a link to the ebay page that I bought my drone package from, and his ebay seller name is valkmanrc, check it out. Hope this helps, have a great day.

RTF STORM "BUSTER" 4c Racing Drone =PRO BUILT= +AT9 radio + FPV Goggles etc

Here's a pic of mine...racing drone.jpg

Just to update when i said avoid rtf i should have said avoid cheap rtf from china. If you can find someone to build for you that's a good start.

There are some good rtf miniquads coming out now like the vortex 250 pro and new tbs vendetta which looks promising. you are paying a premium price but they have nice features like osd and stick tuning which you can't really diy.

Main thing is to get a few friends involved as flying around on your own soon gets dull. Flying with a few friends is much more fun trying to get through gaps or chase through trees or cheap pipe airgates is amazing fun.

Reactions: Jack Ley

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan