Looking To Buy - Pros & Cons - P1 Vs. P2

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
So I've been searching the web, and I have yet to come up with a comprehensive list of the differences between the Phantom 1.1.1 and the Phantom 2. My purposes for wanting a new phantom are for aerial photography and videography. My main question is, what besides the modular battery, internal circuits for first-person view and upgraded props does the Phantom 2 have that the Phantom 1.1.1 doesn’t. I do not plan on FPV at this time, but, it will be something I plan on doing in the future. I am trying to decide whether to get the Phantom 1.1.1 then upgrade to dual battery mounts ($20) and batteries, then when I am ready for FPV I would install the needed electronics ($70). This option seems to be cheaper in the long run but seems to still provide me with many of the benefits that come with the Phantom 2. Or should I just get the phantom 2 and hope that somebody comes out with a conversion for the battery packs to allow the running of dual batteries instead of the expensive modular DJI battery pack. The whole battery thing has me thinking hard. The stock module style batt on the P2 is expensive, adds additional circuitry and has a slow recharge time. Standard batteries are cheap and recharge faster. A video I watched showed a P2 getting only3 or 4 minutes longer flight time than a dual battery P1 and they were able to charge 5 standard batts in the time it took one P2 batt to charge. I want to make an informed decision to get the best bang for my buck. Any insight would be welcome and appreciated.

Reactions: dirkclod
So apparently no one else knows either. Anyone one out there who owns both the P1 & P2 that could give me a little input? :?:

LuvMyTJ said:
My main question is, what besides the modular battery, internal circuits for first-person view and upgraded props does the Phantom 2 have that the Phantom 1.1.1 doesn’t.

Not much other than the fact the Phantom 2 is a more efficient way to lighten your wallet...you can do it in one single purchase rather than a bunch of smaller ones :D

You probably want to at least have a skim through this thread if you haven't already: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7017

There's some good discussion in there regarding using various combinations of batteries (regular and/or P2 batts) as well as upgrading a P1 to nearly everything the P2 can do, and more. Based on what you're describing, you may find that converting a Phantom 1 to a "1+" gets you the best of both worlds.

Thank you for the reply. I am leaning towards a P1 and then do the mods (I enjoy doing mods) but I don't want to miss out on newer tech that is not available for the P1. Thats why I am trying to determine if there is anything I will miss out on. Even the DJI site is lacking in details, it doesn't even show the P1 1.1.1 specs. I will be sure to check out the link you provided, thanks again.

The only "new" tech you'd be missing out on is the magic in the battery (which even beyond the proprietary setup is quite impressive in terms of power/weight). Although the software and firmware are a little different between the P1 and P2, it's the same core hardware (NAZA v2), so you won't lose anything there. The P2 does come with the new props that are much better, but those can easily be used on a P1 as well, you'll just have to purchase them separately.

Thanks for your input OI Photography. I bought the P2 w/Zenmuse gimbal. Very excited to get it. Got a feeling my X525 is gonna be lonely for a while. :)

Dear Folks,

I'm in the same quandary as LuvMyTJ.

Do I go for V1.1.1 or V2 - The batteries for P2 at over £100 ($160) is a possible deal-breaker for me.

The dual battery Mod appears to reach the flight time of the P2.

I WISH there was a simple answer!

This is my first foray into flying, I have miobius and Innovv cams that I would like to use.

If anyone can provide convincing evidence of which way to go (P1.1.1 or P2) I would be eternally indebted :)

ANDREW (Yateley, UK)

I have a phantom 1.1.1 and its absolutely fantastic

I'm no expert by any means but here is my honest opinion

I can buy 4x batteries for the same price as 1 spare for the p2 , if your not bothered about flying then landing to change ,go for the p1 .

p2 are a bit easier to upgrade to gimbal fpv ect. other than that i can't see the extra benefit really ....

I added up the extras then considered the different firmware of the P2 and future exploits like aftermarket batteries, etc., and decided on the P2. If you want the P1 today is the last day to score one on woot.com for only $399 and its version 1.1.1. Great deal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4