Looking for some seasoned advice

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a 3-day shoot coming up in a few weeks. I have volunteered my time and Phantom (through a friend) to film a town's historic landmarks, outdoor artwork, and popular locations that will be used as part of a video being made for the town's bicentennial Fall celebration. The town council has not only approved the use of the drone, they seem to be super excited about it -- which is a refreshing change. So this will fall under non-commercial use as I am not being paid for it, and I will also have a number of spotters to help me avoid any obstacles if I become engrossed in looking at my tablet as I fly and film. Heck, it is even being arranged for police to control traffic at one of the video locations for safety reasons. It looks like I will be filming approximately 12 locations time permitting. I have 5 batteries that are in very good shape and will have a helper recharge them as needed, using two chargers at a time. (I will have to take some breaks to recharge my tablet, though.) I have upgraded the GPS puck and it works great. I have also reheat-sinked the original non-holey wifi unit and hot glued the ESC wires (even though stranded) to buffer any long-term vibration and breakage. I have extra props and a set of prop guards if needed for possible tight quarters between buildings. Also two 32GB cards and the 4GB card (I think) that came with the bird. Also extra AA batteries for the RC and a Marco Polo tracker that will be all charged up and ready to go -- but pray I don't need it.

My concerns are the following, and I would appreciate any advice on each.

CONCERN #1
My bird is a P2V+_v2 and currently running the 3.08 firmware. Seems to run fine without upgrading to the latest (3.14?) as I have been afraid to upgrade and maybe fall victim to firmware glitches that might be causing the latest control losses and skyfalls. My POV software will be Kenargo's "Ultimate Flight" and Ocatcr's "Vision Pilot" (for POI). I still have to practice the POI. Is there any reason to upgrade the firmware?

CONCERN #2
It's a fairly small old town with a lot of overhead pole to pole street wires. For the most part, I should be flying well above those, but there will be locations where I will be ascending or descending close to a few wire runs to get the shot I need of a landmark. Aside from the obvious "Hey don't hit the wire, idiot.", how likely is the compass to be affected by a close proximity to street wires? (I'm not talking the super high voltage transmission towers, just typical pole to pole electrified street wires.)

CONCERN #3
Not really a concern, but I'm planning on shooting video using 720p 60fps for maximum smoothness. Sound about right?

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Advice let it sit an cool down before u take it up again ESC get really hot on summer and do los

After each flight feal the motors. If they start to get to warm to the touch let em cool off. They will get warm and that's ok but hot is not! The batteries really need a rest to cool down after flying before charging. At least 20-30 minutes. That will keep the optimum. The standard utility power pole is 19.9 k voltage. Try to stay 6 ft. Or more away. Other than that just take your time and be careful, enjoy the shoot. And don't forget to start the video recording. Can happen.

Thanks for the cool down warnings. Hadn't considered that but will build it in. Yeah, I've forgotten to turn on video, once, and had to re-fly and film. Felt like an idiot. Now I have it set to automatically start video when the motors start, just in case I forget. I also have gotten into the habit of recording my screen with the free Mobizen app whenever I fly.

Jep roy is right press record and sen bids have fun b safe

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4