Looking for simple FPV system (no wiring)

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am really not looking at a solution that requires me to open the drone and solder wires to pull power and so on to get a FPV system installed.
Originally I was thinking to get a GoPro4 session with an anti vibration mount and just my iPhone as the ground station.
If the wifi range is as claimed to be 600 feet. That's plenty distance for me.

Any other simple / cheap / no wiring FPV solutions like this one ? Maybe another action camera with good wifi range and supported app?

Thanks
Eden

Hi edenclone,

What phantom do you have?

If its a standard phantom (not a vision series or fc40) you wont be able to use the go pros wifi as it runs on the same frequency as the controller (2.4ghz). If it is an fc40 or vision its fine as the controller runs on 5.8ghz as a pose to the 2.4 ghz that the go pro uses. The other downside to the go pros wifi is it has a lot of latency (delay) to the video. A proper fpv system as a much faster latency.

How much were you looking to spend on it? You could get a high end fpv system for the same price as a gopro session...

Hi guys

I am really not looking at a solution that requires me to open the drone and solder wires to pull power and so on to get a FPV system installed.
Originally I was thinking to get a GoPro4 session with an anti vibration mount and just my iPhone as the ground station.
If the wifi range is as claimed to be 600 feet. That's plenty distance for me.

Any other simple / cheap / no wiring FPV solutions like this one ? Maybe another action camera with good wifi range and supported app?

Thanks
Eden

Blade EFLA900 C-GO1 1080p HD FPV Camera 350 QX / Dji Phantom Quadcopter

I know its not exactly what you are looking for it does work fairly well. It is 5.8 and uses your cell or tablet for receiver(need needs 2.4 and 5) band wifi. I get about 100 meters sometimes more
around the house. I shut down my router when doing so.
FPV is not to bad but great for aiming shots and video. Video can be pretty decent when light and wind not bad.--I don't have a gimbal

I paid less about 10 months ago and have flown this over a hundred flights and a few crashes..still works

I have a plus so I never messed with any gimball etc on this, it is for fun flying
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Hi edenclone,

What phantom do you have?

If its a standard phantom (not a vision series or fc40) you wont be able to use the go pros wifi as it runs on the same frequency as the controller (2.4ghz). If it is an fc40 or vision its fine as the controller runs on 5.8ghz as a pose to the 2.4 ghz that the go pro uses. The other downside to the go pros wifi is it has a lot of latency (delay) to the video. A proper fpv system as a much faster latency.

How much were you looking to spend on it? You could get a high end fpv system for the same price as a gopro session...

thanks for getting back to me so quickly
yes its the 2.4 gig Phantom 2.0 ( i dont suppose i can change the transmitter and receiver to 5.8 :)
on another note, i am not too concerned about the latency, i want a good standing a alone FPV without needing to wire the planet.
Is wifi on the same frequency ? i didn't know that.. any other suggestion ?

The simplest would be to use walkeras ilook camera and a monitor such as the black pearl 32ch. Other cheeper monitors are avaliable but are not so easy to set up.

ilook
Walkera FPV iLook HD Camera. An action camera FPV ready - RC Groups

black pearl
Black Pearl 7" FPV No Blue Screen LCD Monitor with Built in Diversity Receiver 5.8GHz - Quadcopters.co.uk

thank you but black pearl is like 200$+ and the camera is 120$. I was hoping to avoid the 200$ for the receiver and display.

If you opted for an ImmersionRC 600 and iOSD Mini, there is a solderless cable you can get that plugs everything in with ease. Took about 10-15 minutes to get it all together.

thank you, i will look at the ImmersionRC 600 right away. maybe there is a good youtube tutorial

Hi Edenclone
I have a phantom 2 and wanted the same as you, no soldering or rewiring here is what i did.
I bought the gopro Hero 3 Sliver edition, then bought video transmitter which fits the gopro and is then attached to underside of the phantom, you can wire the transmitter up to the power cable of phantom that's the red and brown cable coming out of the phantom, i also purchased the black pearl 32c monitor and mounted it on to a cycle helmet (see pic), the transmitter antenna is a cloverleaf and the receiving antenna is also cloverleaf. Make sure you marry up the video frequencies of both transmitter and receiver, i get about 1.5k radius of video using this set up and it puts me right in the cockpit, hope this helps.

Attachments

• P9050009.JPG
    P9050009.JPG
    778.6 KB · Views: 386

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan