Looking for legitimate info on firmware and Dji Go versions

Reaction score
Dji Go - I understand Dji Go 3.1.2 has had trouble with home location, and also that some versions don't use Google maps. Other than that, I can't find release notes or real world explanations of the differences. I see people suggesting 2.9.1 or 3.0.1 or 3.1.1 yet nobody specifies why. They just say it's "preference" and I'm wondering if some people are just using outdated advice. Just looking for some clarification and up to date advice. I currently on 2.9.1 after getting scared away from 3.1.2, but have no idea what new benefits I'm missing from newer versions.

Firmware for the bird - seems some people have connectivity or signal issues on some firmware versions. But if you read about any version, there is somebody complaining about signal loss, and flashing a different version fixed their issues. But maybe just the act of flashing, regardless of version, is what fixed the problem? For example, someone complains about 1.8, flashes 1.7, problem gone. But another thread, someone complains of 1.9, flashes 1.8, problem gone. Maybe the version they are using was never the problem. Or maybe it actually does vary for each aircraft, which sounds like horrible quality control. Does anybody have any comments about this?

Firmware for the RC, I've read that 1.6 they made transmission power changes, but only for CE mode. Someone else told me I needed 1.6 because 1.8 reduces power output. I'm tired of the mixed information here. As a citizen of the USA I'm always flying fcc. Is there literally any reason I shouldn't have the latest firmware for rc, granted you are considering compatibility with the ac firmware?

Sorry for bringing this up again but it's kinda different. I'm not asking what's best yet again. I'm asking why people are suggesting things they are, and if they have any credibility, or just spreading rumors which isn't helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: zgembit
DJI Go - Nobody knows for sure. We all just have our own experience to go on. DJI doesn't give detailed descriptions of what changes (benefits) are included in updates. As far as we all know, you are not missing anything by not being on v3.1.2.

Same thing for FW on aircraft and controller. It's just personal experience as to what works best for each individual. There is no consensus of which version to use. As many people hate any given version, as people who like that version.

It's all just how people feel. Good, or bad... right, or wrong. It's all we've got. No facts... just feelings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
One thing to always keep in mind for anyone reading is that AC FW 1.8 and RC FW 1.6 were released together with an encryption change. If you have one (or later), you must have the other (or later) or you will have issues.

Reactions: kyrvas
One thing to always keep in mind for anyone reading is that AC FW 1.8 and RC FW 1.6 were released together with an encryption change. If you have one (or later), you must have the other (or later) or you will have issues.
Oso - do you mean that when upgrading to the latest AC firmware, the RC FW must be then upgraded? Is this because DJI determines that they work together?

Oso - do you mean that when upgrading to the latest AC firmware, the RC FW must be then upgraded?
I can't completely answer your question without knowing what you have now.

If you upgraded to the latest AC firmware (currently 1.10), you'd need to have at least 1.6 on your RC to avoid a mismatch. If you already had 1.6 or higher on your RC, then you would not need to upgrade. Does that make sense?

Is this because DJI determines that they work together?
It only began to matter when the encryption change was put in place concurrently with AC1.8 / RC1.6. Prior to that, you could mix and match versions without concern. Once the encryption was changed, we suddenly needed to be sure that both the AC and the RC were either pre new encryption or post new encryption.

In the early days, the AC and RC always had the same version so it didn't matter. That's because at the time they were both updated with the same downloaded .bin file. Once the process was changed so that the RC was updated only via the app, the version numbers between AC and RC began to diverge.

Did I answer your questions well enough?

Last edited:
Reactions: kyrvas and nssdrone
When I flew my P3S yesterday the DJI Go app said "firmware upgrade required". But I went ahead and flew with no problems. When I get that message should I upgrade or not. I upgraded a few months ago when I first got the drone. I keep reading that people don't like various upgrades and then downgrade (however you do that.). So far DJI seems not to user friendly and quite confusing.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You'll get that message anytime you aren't flying the latest FW on you bird or RC, probably in the "status" window. It's ok to just close that window and fly. Just DJI's way of letting you know there is a later version.

I can't completely answer your question without knowing what you have now.

If you upgraded to the latest AC firmware (currently 1.10), you'd need to have at least 1.6 on your RC to avoid a mismatch. If you already had 1.6 or higher on your RC, then you would not need to upgrade. Does that make sense?

It only began to matter when the encryption change was put in place concurrently with AC1.8 / RC1.6. Prior to that, you could mix and match versions without concern. Once the encryption was changed, we suddenly needed to be sure that both the AC and the RC were either pre new encryption or post new encryption.

In the early days, the AC and RC always had the same version so it didn't matter. That's because at the time they were both updated with the same downloaded .bin file. Once the process was changed so that the RC was updated only via the app, the version numbers between AC and RC began to diverge.

Did I answer your questions well enough?
Thank you Oso - you did answer my questions. It appears that I am in the post-encryption FW channel; my numbers:
AC 1.8.80, RC 1.6, DJI GO 2.8.3.

With my P3P and these sofware releases, everything works.
I wonder if, or when, I should upgrade any of the three?
When I read the DJI release notes, especially with the GO app, most changes do not seem to apply to the P3P.

Last edited:
Dji Go - I understand Dji Go 3.1.2 has had trouble with home location, and also that some versions don't use Google maps. Other than that, I can't find release notes or real world explanations of the differences. I see people suggesting 2.9.1 or 3.0.1 or 3.1.1 yet nobody specifies why. They just say it's "preference" and I'm wondering if some people are just using outdated advice. Just looking for some clarification and up to date advice. I currently on 2.9.1 after getting scared away from 3.1.2, but have no idea what new benefits I'm missing from newer versions.

Firmware for the bird - seems some people have connectivity or signal issues on some firmware versions. But if you read about any version, there is somebody complaining about signal loss, and flashing a different version fixed their issues. But maybe just the act of flashing, regardless of version, is what fixed the problem? For example, someone complains about 1.8, flashes 1.7, problem gone. But another thread, someone complains of 1.9, flashes 1.8, problem gone. Maybe the version they are using was never the problem. Or maybe it actually does vary for each aircraft, which sounds like horrible quality control. Does anybody have any comments about this?

Firmware for the RC, I've read that 1.6 they made transmission power changes, but only for CE mode. Someone else told me I needed 1.6 because 1.8 reduces power output. I'm tired of the mixed information here. As a citizen of the USA I'm always flying fcc. Is there literally any reason I shouldn't have the latest firmware for rc, granted you are considering compatibility with the ac firmware?

Sorry for bringing this up again but it's kinda different. I'm not asking what's best yet again. I'm asking why people are suggesting things they are, and if they have any credibility, or just spreading rumors which isn't helpful.

I agree that those issues are frustrating as well as lack of the legitimate info. After reading bunch of forum posts and expiriencing multiple issues with different drones, I have come to conclusion that = if you are happy how the phantom si flying, and if it does not have major issues, leave it as it is.
I found this site with version history on the couple of dji go former releases:
DJI GO Version History (dji.pilot) - APK4Fun

Its for android but the versions seem to follow same numbers, maybe somebody know more?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj