Looking for input. Please read. Toilet bowl Update.

Reaction score
I have my phantom, all calibrations done, read everything everywhere, and got maybe 20 flights so far.

I have the toilet bowl effect. Now many of you have the same. It turns out the NAZA manual explains how to fix this (page 29). You find your magnetic declination of your area and you fix it accrodingly (you either turn it left the number of degrees if you are negative or right the number of degrees if you are positive. Check yours here:

http://magnetic-declination.com/

Easy enough. Should fix the toilet bowl effect but does anyone believe this may have some correlation to flyaways or loss of control? The GPS and compass are tied together and fight for true and magnetic north, so if all the GPS modules are installed the same way but needs to be adjusted depending on your location (which the NAZA manual on page 29 clearly explains), then anyone think it might be related??

As anyone done this procedure?

Re: Looking for input. Please read.

Unless you are in the arctic circle, mild TBE doesn't really do anything. If your compass is REALLY whacked, extreme TBE can feel nearly uncontrollable and can definitely contribute to a crash. We're talking about more than 45 degrees off though, you can't get there unless you remove your compass manually.

So, after reading up on the toilet bowl effect TBE, decided to turn my compass 17 degree CCW because of my 17% negative declination.

It now hovers like a pin after takeoff. It bearly moved at all.

Combined with balanced props, it is now a pleasure to fly. I didnt try if it still hooks right, but will eventually when I have room.

Tested on 4 batteries. Never seen it behave like that.

ElGuano said:

LOL in other words, "great, but i still don't believe it had anything to do with that" :lol: :lol:

Or maybe that's just me reading into things ahahha

I think you may be. TBE is clearly documented (even DJI calls it that) and if you're outside the calibration range the compass rotation is the documented fix.

I've spent a lot of time in artificially induced TBE, it's not a fun flight experience especially if you're out at distance.

The funny thing is a lot of people are sceptic about this easy fix and it does indeed work incredibly well.

Takes only 5 minutes, what is there to lose?

It's the best and easiest mod I did so far.

Liftoff, it hovers right over the launch pad, and stays there.

ericdes said:
I have my phantom, all calibrations done, read everything everywhere, and got maybe 20 flights so far.

I have the toilet bowl effect. Now many of you have the same. It turns out the NAZA manual explains how to fix this (page 29). You find your magnetic declination of your area and you fix it accrodingly (you either turn it left the number of degrees if you are negative or right the number of degrees if you are positive.

What do you mean turn it right the number of degrees ? I checked mine and it's positive 13 degrees. What am I supposed to turn ?
Sorry I'm getting a big toilet bowl effect to the left while in GPS. It goes straight ahead in ATTI mode.

Not sure what I did wrong pulled up the Naza manual and on page 29 it shows the settings for Battery. I must not have the right manual. What manual did you pull up? lefty8415

Type in magnetic declination in Google.
It should be the first link
Look to Dee the declination of your location.

Ex: 17 negative

That means you will turn your compass 17 degrees router clockwise

17 positive

Turn the compass 17 degrees clockwise

Make a compass calibration. Test.

ericdes said:
You turn your compass left or clock wise 13 degrees.

Ok thanks I got it. Yes!!! I actually had to turn mine about 26 degrees right. Now it hovers much better and goes in a straight line however it still does a drifts to the left but not as bad. I'm happy with that for now. I just know what to expect and act accordingly.
Thank you so much. I'm located about 40 min. East of SF. Pittsburg, CA

ericdes said:
The funny thing is a lot of people are sceptic about this easy fix and it does indeed work incredibly well.
Takes only 5 minutes, what is there to lose?
It's the best and easiest mod I did so far.
Liftoff, it hovers right over the launch pad, and stays there.

The compass bracket and Phantom leg are both D-shaped, so they pretty much mate one way. You've left out the detail of how you got the compass to stay in a new position. You should attach a picture of what you did, or at least describe how were able to rotate a D-shaped connector.

I cant speak for the P1, but for the P2/P2V rotating the compass is a bad idea. If you're trying to get your P2 to fly straight, it doesn't work. And the Phantom wasn't designed to have its compass rotated. And at least the P2/P2V has a bug with respect to magnetic declination.

Read here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10317

Watch here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BUilGeH74Q[/youtube]

joeflyer said:
Look at the manual. The fix is to rotate the GPS module, not the compass.

You do know that the Phantom GPS module has no notion of orientation, right? You could turn it sideways and backwards. No difference.

joeflyer said:
Look at the manual. The fix is to rotate the GPS module, not the compass.
You're probably looking at the Naza manual. The standard Naza puck had the compass and gps in the same module. That's not how the phantom is set up, the gps and compass are separated.

Rotating a GPS antenna/receiver itself does nothing, there is no orientation to it. What they want you to do is rotate the compass, but on non-phantoms you can only do that by rotating the entire puck. On the phantom you can just rotate the compass itself.

Loosen the 4 screws.

Turn the compass to the degree required.

Tighten the compass so it doesn't move easily.

Wedge something (i used carboard) tightly in the opening behind compass. You will see you can fit a piece nivley in there as the leg is hollow.

Tighten.

Enjoy nice solid hovering.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav