Looking for good gps tracking device...

Reaction score
I hear and see a lot of things about trackimo but is it true that if I landed in an area that had no GSM signal that I would not be able to locate the drone?

I own two Trackimo's. It needs the cell signal to send GPS tracking data to the website mapping feature (net connection) or to your phone if you have Google Maps. So if you land out of reach of a cell system (I believe they use AT&T but not positive) then I don't see it sending you tracking date. Not sure where you would fly/land in the USA that doesn't have cell coverage, but I'm sure there probably are some. Still, I believe it's the best tracker on the market.

I don't have cell service where I'm at so I have the Marco Polo.

Seems to work fine, I've only tried it once in a wooded hilly area and it had a good signal at 150-200 yards away.
I need to do more test in my area at a longer distance .

Marco Polo works pretty much as advertised, very good line of sight range (1-2 miles easily) and less depending on terrain, but it's hard to imagine a case where you wouldn't have at least some idea where the aircraft went down so I don't think range would likely be an issue. Advantages are no need for cellular service (a big one for me because I fly in areas with spotty cell service) and no fees, plus multiple-day battery life in full track mode and a month or more in standby so you aren't having to charge it all the time, also points exactly to the tracker so you'll find it easily even in heavy brush, and lastly the tracker module is very light (only 12 grams.) I've been quite satisfied with mine. I think some kind of tracker is a good idea since in many types of foliage or terrain you could be 20 feet from the aircraft and still not see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: gagabriella
thank you for your input.. i also like that you can purchase seperate tags which is perfect because i have 3 drones..

Marco Polo seems to be a better route to me. You'll know within 1 km where it was (I'd hope) and it should have no problem locating it.

I have Trackimo and work well!

Marco Polo works pretty much as advertised, very good line of sight range (1-2 miles easily) and less depending on terrain, but it's hard to imagine a case where you wouldn't have at least some idea where the aircraft went down so I don't think range would likely be an issue. Advantages are no need for cellular service (a big one for me because I fly in areas with spotty cell service) and no fees, plus multiple-day battery life in full track mode and a month or more in standby so you aren't having to charge it all the time, also points exactly to the tracker so you'll find it easily even in heavy brush, and lastly the tracker module is very light (only 12 grams.) I've been quite satisfied with mine. I think some kind of small GPS tracker is a good idea since in many types of foliage or terrain you could be 20 feet from the aircraft and still not see it.

I would rather choose Marco Polo or SpyTec than trackimo. Especially Marco Polo, it is the best choice. There are not many trackers designed for drones. Marco Polo is the best tracker currently. It's a good thing both in terms of installation and tracking features.

Here’s a question- if the phantom goes down and there’s no cell service, is there a way to get the gps coordinates of last known position from DJI Go?
The last 2 crashes I had (not lost, just crashed) the battery popped out on impact. So even “Find my drone” feature in Go wouldn’t have helped.

But having the map coordinates would have been helpful if it was out of view. You can plug those into a phone or google maps when you get cell service back to at least show you where to search.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers