Looking for advice locating a lost dog -

Reaction score
Hi

Not even sure I'm in the right place here but hoping someone could help or point me in right direction.

Our rescue greyhound escaped from our garden on march 31st after climbing a 6 foot fence when she was spooked by gunshot from a nearby fire range.

We've spent the last 10/11 days looking for her with no success.

It has been suggested that a drone maybe able to help particularly thermal imaging.

I know absolutely nothing about drones and their capabilities and hoping to get some advice about drone flying restrictions it's capabilities in a situation like this and who would you contact to carry out such a thing if feasible.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated as we are running out of ideas on how to locate our much loved pet.

I live near Blantyre in South Lanarkshire. There is a lot woodlands and farm land around the area but we have had possible sightings in urban areas.

10/11 days!! Think your a bit late with the drone.
How so? Dogs can survive for along time in the wild. Especially a greyhound that has the ability to hunt its own food. There is a possibility she's still holed up locally in woodlands. This is common behaviour for a dog that has taken flight after being scared.

Here's a valuable resource. It's possible they have someone near you who can assist you:
SWARMcritters

Good luck and let us know if you find anything please.

10/11 days!! Think your a bit late with the drone.
You'd be surprised how many lost animals are found weeks or months later. We once found our missing black lab (well she found us) after being lost for 2 months. She had walked 45 miles through forest, rivers, and interstate highways all on her own instincts.

Reactions: dirkclod
Try just searching "drone" on your local Craiglist. You'll probably come up with a million and one service ads. At that point it's just a matter of finding out who has a rig with thermal imaging.

The issue with drone search for lost dogs (which, oddly to me, I get requests for all the time), is the small coverage area. I think people are picturing some kind of DoD drone that can makes sweeps over vast search areas. Unfortunately that's not the case for anything in the realm of being affordable for a lost dog search. If you have a very specific area (like 50 acres MAX) then thermal imaging might be useful for finding a dog hunkered down in light forest/brush. The woods is full of animals though. Suburban areas are full of animals, people, etc. It makes for a very difficult search without a well-defined and specific search area.

Try just searching "drone" on your local Craiglist. You'll probably come up with a million and one service ads. At that point it's just a matter of finding out who has a rig with thermal imaging.

The issue with drone search for lost dogs (which, oddly to me, I get requests for all the time), is the small coverage area. I think people are picturing some kind of DoD drone that can makes sweeps over vast search areas. Unfortunately that's not the case for anything in the realm of being affordable for a lost dog search. If you have a very specific area (like 50 acres MAX) then thermal imaging might be useful for finding a dog hunkered down in light forest/brush. The woods is full of animals though. Suburban areas are full of animals, people, etc. It makes for a very difficult search without a well-defined and specific search area.

You'd be surprised what can be located with an experienced UAS/FLIR operator at the controls.
Dog goes missing for five days. Then rescuers fund a ‘drone’ and find her

Reactions: AyeYo
A dog lost for that amount of time is probably living with another family, ask me how I know.
After 3 weeks I happened to see a post in my local food mart- Found- A loveable Australian Blue, seems to like it here but, we feel for you if she is yours- Call this ##.
So, after 1 month, we got our wonderful dog back. Their children begged them not to post a found dog poster, but, the wife's conscience got the better of her & made Dad post the found dog poster!
Check local stores for notices & have to posted a Lost dog notice in papers & your local pound?

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4