Looking for a (cheap) FPV Setup

Reaction score
Good evening. I've owned my P2 for about a year now. I haven't flown it much in the last 6 months as my friend and co-owner has been having a lot of health issues and it kills me to fly it without him. But fingers crossed he should be much better soon, and we're looking to get back into the skies.

We would really like to get a FPV setup to go with our P2, H3-3D and Hero 4 Black combo, but we would like to do it for very little cost. Any suggestions on some low-cost options to set up? I don't want to buy sub-standard parts, we still want quality. But I think we can live within a 1/2 mile radius range if that brings down the price. We're hoping the resale of our old broken and repaired H3-3D can cover a lot of the cost (really glad his cousin is a machinist, he bent that aluminum back like it never happened).

Previously I had been looking at a Black Pearl screen/receiver, 600mW ImmersionRc transmitter, mini iOSD, and a few antennas. Anyone have any cheaper alternative setups?

Good evening. I've owned my P2 for about a year now. I haven't flown it much in the last 6 months as my friend and co-owner has been having a lot of health issues and it kills me to fly it without him. But fingers crossed he should be much better soon, and we're looking to get back into the skies.

We would really like to get a FPV setup to go with our P2, H3-3D and Hero 4 Black combo, but we would like to do it for very little cost. Any suggestions on some low-cost options to set up? I don't want to buy sub-standard parts, we still want quality. But I think we can live within a 1/2 mile radius range if that brings down the price. We're hoping the resale of our old broken and repaired H3-3D can cover a lot of the cost (really glad his cousin is a machinist, he bent that aluminum back like it never happened).

Previously I had been looking at a Black Pearl screen/receiver, 600mW ImmersionRc transmitter, mini iOSD, and a few antennas. Anyone have any cheaper alternative setups?

Here's the prices for the FPV equipment.
Black pearl monitor/receiver $229.00 from www.bhphotovideo.com
immersion 600mw TX $69.00 ebay
dji mini iOSD $69.00 ebay
plug n play cable to connect both $14.99 ebay
P'n'P cable for DJI Phantom 2 connecting iOSD Mini with ImmersionRC fat shark

For the hero 4 black search ebay for best used price for camera w/battery without all hardware that is how I bought mine saved $200.00. The gimbal new is $284.99 and if they one used they'll go for around $229.99 from B&H

I would suggest that you either add longer landing gear or snap no extensions so as not to repeat the damage to your repaired gimbal.

Good quality products do not come cheaply

Its funny, I just purchased FPV stuff for my P2. I pretty much purchased all the items you listed on EBAY. With a couple of the items (higher priced ones) I went with "best offer" listings. I was able to grab the Pearl for $150/shipped, ImmersionRc 600mW for $69/shipped, mini iOSD for $40/shipped, the cable for $12/shipped, monitor mount for the Black Pearl for $22/shipped, and the Spironet Antenna's for $35/shipped....all new items.

As for the GoPro 4...check EBAY as well, which is where I got mine.

When you get the Black Pearl monitor hopefully you don't get a monitor with a bad battery, known issue that I found out about. I just received a new battery today from the seller.

Sorry I may not have been very clear. We already own the Hero 4 Black. And we don't actually use the repaired gimbal, we use a new one. But we're going to try and sell the repaired one. It was damaged when my buddy got into a nasty encounter with a tree early in our experience. It resulted in many hours of repair work for me and many dollars for him.

So I was looking for everything else, like the transmitter, receiver etc. But I wanted to know if there were any items that were cheaper than the ones I listed. But if that means stepping down to unreliable quality we'll be fine spending that amount. From what you guys have said it seems like the listed items are pretty standard.

For budget FPV, another option is Quantom DIY goggles. It comes as a styrofoam kit that you assemble with a screen and fresnel slider for $50. Here
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
is how to enlarge the view using larger fresnel sheets that are ~ $7 for 5 (I use 3 in mine, and the view is much larger). Then add a boscam rc832 receiver $30 (or combo with transmitter for $45 total), a 2S 7.4v lipo with a JST connector $10, some zip ties and velcro/tape/creativity and you have FPV goggles for under $100.

Also on Amazon you can get a $10 pair of 5.8gHz cloverleafs that seem to perform better than the stock antennas in my limited testing.

I just stumbled across this "bundle kit" for $209

FPV All-in-One Package (Starter Kit)

I was going to ask anyone if they have any experience with this setup, or heard of any problems with it?

Edit: I just realized that this kit does not include the iOSD... so add on another $50 or so for that!

I just stumbled across this "bundle kit" for $209

FPV All-in-One Package (Starter Kit)

I was going to ask anyone if they have any experience with this setup, or heard of any problems with it?

Edit: I just realized that this kit does not include the iOSD... so add on another $50 or so for that!

You can use it if you're on a tight budget but you will have to hard wire (solder) both iOSD and transmitter and it is not the best equipment available.
The three most commonly used FPV manufactures are boscam, flysight and immersion and all the equipment can be connected together using a plug n play cable which requires no soldering. Prices can range from $325 - $400 usd depending who buy from.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice!

i have a kit for sale very similar. to the pearl except its a sharp vision screen 7"!. i have all the stuff and actually am trying to sell it to get the vision 2/3 camera . let me know all the stuff is practically new i have flown it maybe 5 times.

i have a kit for sale very similar. to the pearl except its a sharp vision screen 7"!. i have all the stuff and actually am trying to sell it to get the vision 2/3 camera . let me know all the stuff is practically new i have flown it maybe 5 times.

You would probably be better off putting this in the classifieds then here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers