Looking at a used macbook pro.. advice

Reaction score
I can purchase a 2012 MacBook pro for 625. The specs are as listed:
2.5 i5 Processor
500gb hard drive
8gb RAM - upgraded from 4gb
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Is this a suitable laptop for video editing? I have a p3a so the most I can shoot is 2.7k. Any other recommendations?

That should work, you may deal with some jumpy playback (super technical term) when editing in full resolution. You can always lower the preview resolution for a smoother work flow and will have no impacted on your final result.

How much do you think upgrading to a retina display with fcp installed already would be worth?

Too expensive... I saw a groupon today for a pro 16gig, i7, 15.4", 750hd for $800. Look around more, even Apple sells refurbs.

Too expensive... I saw a groupon today for a pro 16gig, i7, 15.4", 750hd for $800. Look around more, even Apple sells refurbs.
A refurbished 13 non retina is 829 from apple. Can't touch a retina refurbished for less then a grand.

Well, to be fair, if you are looking for a retina display you are looking at current models, so yeah, they are gonna cost ya. About $1100 on Apple, about $925 on Amazon.

I found a late 2012 13.3 retina with fcp x already installed for 800. My mentality is if I can find a good condition used I can use the saving to upgrade ram. And make it better then new. Am I way off?

I can purchase a 2012 MacBook pro for 625. The specs are as listed:
2.5 i5 Processor
500gb hard drive
8gb RAM - upgraded from 4gb
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Is this a suitable laptop for video editing? I have a p3a so the most I can shoot is 2.7k. Any other recommendations?

Video editing? Definitely no. If you want the most bang for your back, build a hackintosh. You can build a decent video editing machine for $600.

Last edited:
No, not at all. Seems like a solid plan to me. I have only owned & used Macs since 1982 as I went to school for Lithography and the industry used Macs... I have been hooked ever since. So I alway buy a new Mac with the lowest amount of anything I can upgrade myself. My last one, a 27" I bought with a large hard drive as it was tough to replace (display has to come off, etc.) but the ram was easy to do through an access panel so I got the lowest ram configuration and installed 24gig of my own. I alway buy the configuration with the best components to future proof (best processor, best graphics, etc.). Don't forget if you go with the newer models some have USB3, so unless you already own a lot of FireWire stuff, go USB3, Thunderbolt stuff it still to pricey.

Video editing? Definitely no. If you want the most bang for your back, build a mackintosh. You can build a decent video editing machine for $600.

Hackintosh. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31