Look boys, we got another New P2V Pilot to razz on!!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Forums are always full of great info and colourful people! Wish I had come here first, instead of just reading manuals.

I got a Phantom 2 Vision for my birthday from my Mum. She bought it a couple years back (when they were $1200) and used it a couple times. They love toys and technology, but don't really have the nack for piloting RC. They need a P3 or P4 with all the bells and whistles turned on. A friend on mine has a P3 Advanced? The most expensive one, which ever that is with the 4k. I have flown it a couple times, but I always hated the thought of damaging it and having to replace it, or fix it or whatever. So, cool... I got my own to mess with. The P2V is a lot.. um... less featured than his, so I have a bit of a learning curve to deal with. Plus with his, it was set up, and he hands me the controller, already configured, and ready to fly. I think that's where I am stuck.

I got the firmware all up to date, and charged everything, and got everything 'sync'd' up in my living room, of course, at night and living in the city, I had to wait to fly it. So I take everything out to the Farm, and get it all out and did all my checks, and such... and I think I am ready to go. Oh, let me give you a run down of gear...

Phantom 2 Vision
Nexus 7 (2012)
Litchi for P2
RE500 thingy

So I fire up the Litchi, and it crashed a couple times. Never did that at home, but whatever... rebooted the device, hoping a fresh boot would make it more stable... and it did! Good news. So unit is sitting in the driveway, huge open space. Blinking lights, beep beep beeps, and all is a go. I hit the Green Launch arrow, and it's asks are you sure... and I think I am.... GO!

If comes to life, and fires itself up in the air... to about 10 feet or so. I hit the sticks... nothing. It sat there, and just mocked me. Blinking and whirling... Jerk. Sooooo now what. It just hovers. (I got a great video of me standing there, looking up in confusion). I was going to go and get a ladder but just as I did, it started to climb again, out of reach... I though, someone is messing with me! It went up as high as the barn, rotated a couple times... and slowly set itself down on the drive. Serious? So I then figured out that the battery ran out and the return home function kicked in. Intradesting!

Fight number one... flawless failure.

Fight number two: I fire it up, and didn't use the tablet. It was under control again. I flew around a little, getting my bearings and it seemed okay, so I brought it home. Switched batteries, and fired everything up with the Tablet again. Hit the Launch Button... and it went up to 20' again. Been here before... yawn. Then the App crashed, and the drone took off, straight ahead, out into the field. Controller... useless. So I got the app fired up again, but it wouldn't show video. I went and got the 4 wheeler out to go on a drone hunt... and I go up the back field... and start my search...

An hour goes by... Nothing. So I return to the farm to get some help. I pull up in the driveway... and you can guess what I saw. The stupid thing is sitting in the driveway, about 5 feet from where it took off from.

Okay... It's like that is it?

Last edited:
Try it again without the tablet... no problem. Try it with the tablet, and this time I didn't use the LAUNCH button... but I do the stick start trick... and it was fully under control. I could see the screen so good, with the glare, but it seemed to handle properly.

Any suggestions? Should I try to get the DJI app working on the Nexus 7 (2012) or should I get a new tablet of some kind? Any suggestions would be helpful. I want this to work!

Thanks.

I would calibrate your controller - see if that doesn't solve your problem.

Also - you didn't mention anything about calibrating the compass when you got to the farm. Hopefully you didn't mention it because it's so obvious - not because you forgot.

I would calibrate your controller - see if that doesn't solve your problem.

Also - you didn't mention anything about calibrating the compass when you got to the farm. Hopefully you didn't mention it because it's so obvious - not because you forgot.
So... About calibrating the compass... I didn't actually calibrate... well... anything. That might have been the issue... you think?

(Side note: Do you like the Neutab? I see the N7 is on amazon pretty cheap... I don't think my Nexus 7 (2012) is going to cut it. Can't have it crashing all the time)

Well - the fact that RTH worked - maybe your compass was okay. But you have to remember to calibrate your compass when you fly in a new area that's a fair distance from your old area.

I would definitely calibrate the controller before you fly again.

In fact, you should read the manual from start to finish at least twice before you fly again.

No - don't get the Neutab. It doesn't have a compass in it! It also has inadequate memory IMO. My next tablet is a Nexus 7 2013 with 32 GB. People on this site rave about it.

Re the tablet you have, make sure you start your flight with a clean reboot. Maybe that'll help.

Well - the fact that RTH worked - maybe your compass was okay. But you have to remember to calibrate your compass when you fly in a new area that's a fair distance from your old area.

I would definitely calibrate the controller before you fly again.

In fact, you should read the manual from start to finish at least twice before you fly again.

No - don't get the Neutab. It doesn't have a compass in it! It also has inadequate memory IMO. My next tablet is a Nexus 7 2013 with 32 GB. People on this site rave about it.

Re the tablet you have, make sure you start your flight with a clean reboot. Maybe that'll help.

Thanks much, Marknmd! The last time it was flown, it was actually on the other side of the country. So a good Recalibrate is in order. I never thought of the fresh reboot. I will try that next time I get a chance to fly. I will search for a N7 2013 32gb. I'll need to download the manual, and read it twice. :)

Thank you for your guidance. :)

The app, either litchi or DJI has no control of the quad, other than to initiate take off. If your gonna get into this seriously you need to swap the RE 500 for the RE700, it gives better range. Search the vision mod forum for some great advice.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Imzadi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues