Look at number of satellites INDOORS!

fastsmiles said:
Any V+ users with this mod notice if there is any loss of sats when starting video record?

for that you shield the gps module with foil --you can find plenty info here on that

also use alum foil to shield the gps connector wire all way to black connector --then use easy mod to tighten the plug -- look for flynfrank fix

then shield between camera body and phantom body --again search here

All that is really easy and cheap added to gps antenna you can only do better, in my case specifically ---WAY better!

Not indoors but with these mods this is the most I have ever got !
Took this this morning !

Attachments

• IMG_0612.PNG
    IMG_0612.PNG
    716.6 KB · Views: 388
dirkclod said:
Not indoors but with these mods this is the most I have ever got !
Took this this morning !

15 satellites!

What is that white stuff in the screen capture?

terrylowe said:
What is that white stuff in the screen capture?

Dirk, you put up with 100 degree weather and 100% humidity in Mississippi so that you don't have to put up with snow! You let it SNOW on you????

Hi guys

reading this with interest , and decided to go for it .....

Just tried to order the 931-1126-ND GPS Ant from digi-key's "UK" website ....

And got a bit of a shock .... £3.68 for the ant .... and £12 for postage !!!

Is this going to come from the States or Oz or somewhere further afield ...... I dont mind the price ....but i dont like feeling ripped of .... I get the impression i am ordering from a uk company , with uk stock etc ..... but in no way can 12 quid postage be thus justified ....

And there is nothing else i feel like buying to benefit from the "free" postage if i give them £50 !!! ..... that just adds to the being ripped of feeling.

If they said the Ant was 12 quid and 3 quid for postage that would be fine .... I have just posted a 1.8 Kg small computer signed for , insured for £500 england to scotland ...for £11 .... postage on this cant possibly cost more than a fiver .....

Sorry , am i getting carried away here .....

saturday morning rant over ... .maybe i should have stayed in bed ... hopefully some will start to crop up on flea bay soon :)

cheers

Ian

I purchase from digikey for most of my hobbies. And yes, the shipping is often more than the part. I added foil tape, insulated tape, various connectors, etc so that the RELATIVE shipping is not so painful. But I agree. I don't like it when the shipping is obviously overpriced. It's a principle thing.

wolfm4n said:
Hi guys

Is this going to come from the States or Oz or somewhere further afield ...... I dont mind the price ....but i dont like feeling ripped of .... I get the impression i am ordering from a uk company , with uk stock etc ..... but in no way can 12 quid postage be thus justified ....

And there is nothing else i feel like buying to benefit from the "free" postage if i give them £50 !!! ..... that just adds to the being ripped of feeling.

If they said the Ant was 12 quid and 3 quid for postage that would be fine .... I have just posted a 1.8 Kg small computer signed for , insured for £500 england to scotland ...for £11 .... postage on this cant possibly cost more than a fiver .....

saturday morning rant over ... .maybe i should have stayed in bed ... hopefully some will start to crop up on flea bay soon :)

cheers

Ian

Welcome to the forum.

And yes I thought exactly the same about their postage. It stopped me in my tracks.
And then I though, well I dont actually have a problem with sats, so I wont bother.

... yet :D

And then I though, well I dont actually have a problem with sats, so I wont bother.

... yet :D
I said the same thing before I added the antenna and tinfoil mod But now gonna try the copper mod to see if I get even more !!
Just got to mod ! :lol:

wolfm4n said:
Hi guys

cheers

Ian

I noticed that if you check the estimate shipping box a large pull down menu pops up with over a dozen ship choices.

I found standard postage first class in middle of the list and it was 3.99 for in usa shipping on a gps antenna I ordered.

Many much higher prices offered!

wolfm4n said:
Hi guys

cheers

Ian

They look to be coming from the US. £12 is about right for an international UPS shipment, they aren't cheap. I found the part on some other sites, it is made by Taoglas Ltd, part number CGGP.25.4.A02. Still the same price for shipping.

Edit ... just found it here with lower UK shipping http://ava.upuaut.net/store/index.php?r ... uct_id=111

dirkclod said:
I said the same thing before I added the antenna and tinfoil mod But now gonna try the copper mod to see if I get even more !!

Dirk, the thing won't read over 15 sats. You already pegged that!!! You "modder" you! I grounded mine copper mod too. ;) A couple of people who are way smarter on the topic that me said it was unnecessary, but it is amazing how grounding certain parts of my FPV setup improved video. So grounding the copper shield has gotta help with satellite reception too, huh?

I spoke to someone on digikey uk live chat asking about where stuff is sent from and the £12 postage. Everything comes from US. Also there is vat to add too which only gets added near the end of checkout.

MrC said:
I spoke to someone on digikey uk live chat asking about where stuff is sent from and the £12 postage. Everything comes from US. Also there is vat to add too which only gets added near the end of checkout.

Whaaaaat :eek:

terrylowe said:
dirkclod said:

Dirk, the thing won't read over 15 sats. You already pegged that!!! You "modder" you! I grounded mine copper mod too. ;) A couple of people who are way smarter on the topic that me said it was unnecessary, but it is amazing how grounding certain parts of my FPV setup improved video. So grounding the copper shield has gotta help with satellite reception too, huh?
I don't know but will research it ! I just don't know where to ground it. Yet ;)

This is a great thread! I purchased the 1126 and installed it today. My GPS lock has always taken 5-10 minutes no matter where I am outside. Recently I have been unable to get any satellites. I installed the new antenna today and still no GPS at all. Any ideas on what else may be causing that problem? I have a P2 non vision version 3. Just got it in December. No crashes or any problems. Thanks!

Ericf said:
This is a great thread! I purchased the 1126 and installed it today. My GPS lock has always taken 5-10 minutes no matter where I am outside. Recently I have been unable to get any satellites. I installed the new antenna today and still no GPS at all. Any ideas on what else may be causing that problem? I have a P2 non vision version 3. Just got it in December. No crashes or any problems. Thanks!

:x HATE it when that happens! Worse case scenario, you hurt your gps module some way. Best case scenario, your gps module plug in wire came loose as you wiggled your top to get it back on (which is more likely). Also you have to make only one solder connection when installing, but that connection may be faulty. After checking to see that your plug is not loose, I would take down the soldered connection and re-do it.

" Edit ... just found it here with lower UK shipping http://ava.upuaut.net/store/index.php?r ... uct_id=111 "

Cool , thanks for the link Landmannnn ..... they are only about 5 miles from me here !!!

And shop collection is listed as an option , so I will be popping along in the next couple of days for one :)

cheers

Ian

terrylowe said:
Ericf said:

:x HATE it when that happens! Worse case scenario, you hurt your gps module some way. Best case scenario, your gps module plug in wire came loose as you wiggled your top to get it back on (which is more likely). Also you have to make only one solder connection when installing, but that connection may be faulty. After checking to see that your plug is not loose, I would take down the soldered connection and re-do it.

Thanks for the info! I am sure the wire connection is good. I used the tip of a plastic wire tie to keep pressure on it, so it won't easily come loose. I was getting zero satellites before the solder work so I'm thinking it may be something else...but I may try re-soldering. Have you heard of the issue of the tiny little battery/capacitor in the GPS puck going dead therefore eliminating the ability to store sat info? I measured the voltage of this battery and it looks like .25 volts. Seems dead to me. My phantom is only 2 months old and has worked flawlessly up until this week. This is what propted me to do the GPS antenna mod. Thanks for any thoughts!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj