Look at number of satellites INDOORS!

Reaction score
I know this is covered in other threads, but I got excited when I saw this. I was modding my P2 and came across a thread that suggested that changing out the GPS antenna would improve satellite reception. So, I HAD to try it.

Look how many steady satellites I locked inside my house! And from a cold start as well.

I could have flown around IN the house as it was picking up 7-9 satellites in all the rooms, but my wife was against that for some reason.

I purchased the antenna from digikey, part number 931-105-ND. Snug fit into the existing "socket" but fit well. The shipping is more than the part, so get some copper foil tape while you are there for your next mod. ;)

I am in a rural area, but outside, it fixed on 12 satellites, and hit 13 one time. Could have been a good day/time to hit a lot of satellites.

Attachments

• 8 satellites.jpg
    8 satellites.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,062
I put one of those on my puck and just did the Tin foil mod and it does help !! More on the older puck than the V3 I have now but just the same it doe's work !!
Edit / Here's the thread on the mod if any of ya don't have it .viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31054

Here is mine form last nights Stage 3 upgrade. On a side note I removed the Video WIFI antennas all together from the bird. Even with the 4mm antenna and the foil mod I could loose 1 or 2 sat when I hit the video record button. However with the mods the antennas are now outside and its rock solid in keeping them after acquiring them.

Attachments

• indoors.jpg
    indoors.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 915
Bluethundr said:
Here is mine form last nights Stage 3 upgrade. On a side note I removed the Video WIFI antennas all together from the bird. Even with the 4mm antenna and the foil mod I could loose 1 or 2 sat when I hit the video record button. However with the mods the antennas are now outside and its rock solid in keeping them after acquiring them.

Yikes!! I might just have to fly inside with that many satellites.....

I hope to copy your results.... I ordered DigiKey part number 931-1126-ND which has 2dB more gain than your part...

I would be ecstatic to see similar performance as now I have crap....

mad in nc said:
I hope to copy your results.... I ordered DigiKey part number 931-1126-ND which has 2dB more gain than your part...

Following this....I wonder if this will work. The other ceramic Patch antennas have the Freq of 1575.42..The one you ordered shows only 1575.
If it does work you will see that UAV hold those Sats like a fat kid with cake...

No, it too says 1575.42. See below. Also, much more importantly, it also covers GLONASS sats as well as GPS sats. Im not sure if the phantom can use the glonass sats mind you. + as mentioned 5db gain instead of 3.5db.

I saw someone on a forum somewhere that had fitted one with the glonass and all was good. *edit* here is the thread, they used that exact one - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29100&start=20

I've been watching all this with interest too and I'm pretty sure this is the one im going for.

Would be VERY interested in your results mad in nc.

Digi-Key Part Number 931-1126-ND
Price Break Unit Price Extended Price
1 5.08000 5.08
100 4.96880 496.88
Quantity Available Digi-Key Stock: 23
Can ship immediately
Manufacturer
Taoglas Limited
Manufacturer Part Number
CGGP.25.4.A.02
Description GPS GLONASS PATCH 1575.42MHZ
Lead Free Status / RoHS Status Lead free / RoHS Compliant

The one mentioned in 1st post (gps only, 3.5db gain) says just 1575 in description but if you check further, it too is 1575.42.
And all so cheap :D

This is the part I was talking about..When you look at the longer description on the left side it states..1575MHz ~ 1610MHz

The upper description states the 1575.42...But the lower states a wider range of Freq covered. If it works out this would be the Antenna to have and install.

Im pretty sure that is because it is in the section 1575MHz ~ 1610MHz if you are narrowing them down with their search.

Ok, looking at the data sheet for it, it does says its wide range covering from 1575-1610 MHz. Still, looking at the thread I linked to above, it seems to work fine.

So, they are both ok I would guess. I may get the glonass one just in case DJI add glonass to the system firmware. (not sure if they need to do this but I would imagine so)

MrC said:
I may get the glonass one just in case DJI add glonass to the system firmware. (not sure if they need to do this but I would imagine so)

I'm not sure that this can be done with a firmware update, but who knows?

Today my satellite count was resting at 11 throughout two flights. The GPS antenna upgrade is really impressing me!

Sounds good. I always get 0 sats inside. Not sure how many outside as only just got iosd mini and fpv. I'm itching to get this done now :p

Bluethundr said:
mad in nc said:

Following this....I wonder if this will work. The other ceramic Patch antennas have the Freq of 1575.42..The one you ordered shows only 1575.
If it does work you will see that UAV hold those Sats like a fat kid with cake...

fat kids everywhere are outraged at your insensitivity. :lol:

This mod is awesome. I did it and went from struggling to get 6-7 satts to getting 11!!!!

Attachments

• 11sats!.PNG
    11sats!.PNG
    587.8 KB · Views: 476
  • satts mod.JPG
    satts mod.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 453
I may have to do this. Where is the thread that explains this mod, the different antennas and the process?

You may want to be careful flying indoors with GPS. There is this thing called multi path, basically as the signal bounces around off walls and such, it adds that distance to where the GPS thinks you are. So if you pick up a signal that has bounced 10 extra feet, it might be sending you 10 feet into a wall :) :shock:

tbwester said:
You may want to be careful flying indoors with GPS. There is this thing called multi path, basically as the signal bounces around off walls and such, it adds that distance to where the GPS thinks you are. So if you pick up a signal that has bounced 10 extra feet, it might be sending you 10 feet into a wall :) :shock:

Funny.....that's what my wife thinks she said. :lol: No....Just kidding about flying it indoors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4