Longer flights and TX position

Reaction score
I'm considering a longer flight (~1 mile or so out) and while I know the TX should work that far I'm wondering which position antenna should be?

Secondly, if I'm flying in suburban areas, and at some point there may be a building between the drone and RX is this a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

wondering which position antenna should be?
Position the remote controller antennas like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

if I'm flying in suburban areas, and at some point there may be a building between the drone and RX is this a problem?
Yes -- the remote controller signal will disconnect. You should always fly LOS.

Anything between you and the aircraft will reduce the signal. Once the signal is sufficiently reduced then it will RTH.
Think of the radio signal like a source of light since the only difference is the frequency.

What about tree lines?
You really should always fly LOS. While it is possible to fly with some trees in between, it's going to degrade the signal.

I'm considering a longer flight (~1 mile or so out) and while I know the TX should work that far I'm wondering which position antenna should be?

Secondly, if I'm flying in suburban areas, and at some point there may be a building between the drone and RX is this a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Some of the drone flyers stay pretty close to home until flying by the seat of your pants sort of becomes second nature. Not really to discourage you, but a mile away, it will have been a long time since you have seen your drone. Win some local meets before you sign up for the Olympics.

So for folks making longer missions (over a mile) and you can't technically see the drone, the idea with LOS is that hypothetically you should be able to see that drone as nothing is the way between the TX and drone?

Yes. See it. Know orientation. And able to avoid other objects stationary or moving.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.