Long term "time lapse" dictated by set gps coordinates?

Reaction score
Hello all,

Would really appreciate yadvice/suggestions/expertise on how best to accomplish what I would like to do, if it is in fact somewhat easily possible for someone like myself to accomplish.

I am very soon about to begin work on a construction project that will last several months. I would love to document the process but I am not a serious photographer or rc flyer. However, I have seen first hand how awesome that combo can be. I am considering purchasing the p3 to capture an aerial time lapse sequence of the project. I tried researching the phantoms time lapse capabilities and found much information about the shots/time interval etc. but nothing specific to what I envision would be an awesome feat.

Is it possible to set an aerial position by gps coordinates, or by "saving" current location of copter, that I could then return the copter to, a couple times a day to take a photo, over the course of the months that the build would last?

Or is there a better/more reliable way to accomplish this task?

Would the quality of the stills captured by the standard camera on the advanced model be sufficient for print publication?

Many thanks for your assistance and suggestions.

S

Hello all,

Would really appreciate yadvice/suggestions/expertise on how best to accomplish what I would like to do, if it is in fact somewhat easily possible for someone like myself to accomplish.

I am very soon about to begin work on a construction project that will last several months. I would love to document the process but I am not a serious photographer or rc flyer. However, I have seen first hand how awesome that combo can be. I am considering purchasing the p3 to capture an aerial time lapse sequence of the project. I tried researching the phantoms time lapse capabilities and found much information about the shots/time interval etc. but nothing specific to what I envision would be an awesome feat.

Is it possible to set an aerial position by gps coordinates, or by "saving" current location of copter, that I could then return the copter to, a couple times a day to take a photo, over the course of the months that the build would last?

Or is there a better/more reliable way to accomplish this task?

Would the quality of the stills captured by the standard camera on the advanced model be sufficient for print publication?

Many thanks for your assistance and suggestions.

S
My suggestion.

Locate the exact spot you want to film from. Mark it -- set a wood hub. Use this as the Home point for the Phantom and be sure you take off each day from the same spot.
Take the Phantom up to the desired altitude, set your camera angle for the shot you desire and use the center screen alignment dot ( you have to turn it on in the settings.) to place on a ground reference. Use this same reference every day.

If you do this every time you film, you will be in almost the same exact location, give or take a couple of meters which wont be detectable in your video from day to day.

Reactions: NickCopter
Bobmyers has a lot of great info in there.

The most important parts are having a marked location to take off from each time, noting your elevation each time, and making sure you have the gimbal tilted to the same area each time.

There is no current way to use GPS waypoints with the P3.

I think I would write down the GPS cords of take off and take off from those cords everytime. Go to the exact same altitude everytime. Note your gimbal tilt. Any minor screen x and y adjustments can be made post production.

I've also been contemplating long term time lapse and I think that is how I would attempt it.

Reactions: bobmyers
I think I would write down the GPS cords of take off and take off from those cords everytime. Go to the exact same altitude everytime. Note your gimbal tilt. Any minor screen x and y adjustments can be made post production.

I've also been contemplating long term time lapse and I think that is how I would attempt it.
If you set a wooden surveyors hub, you dont have to write that location. You have already locked in the GPS ground location, fly to the same altitude vertically when you take off, rotate camera aiming the lens center dot on the camera to the preset target target location and you are there. The only thing you have to remember is to use the same altitude daily. Pretty simple.;) You may have to adjust the Yaw slightly to put the center lens dot on the ground target.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik