"Long" Range racing quad

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help figuring out which video transmitter I should buy.
I am fairly new to the fpv market, but have many flight hours planes,quads,3d helis etc.
I bought a phantom 3p and it's a nice camera platform but it's definetly not fun to fly, so I wanted a racing quad for my high speed shots and I'll be using a gopro to shoot the video. But what I need help with is figuring out how to send and receive my video feed.
I want about 1mile range won't be needing much more, almost line of sight might be small trees blocking the signal.
And also is the gopro a good camera for "live view" or should I buy a cctv camera also?

Looking at a ~250size quad

Hope you can give me some tips and excuse me if my English isn't perfect=)

Are you interested in actually racing, or just flying through FPV style through trees/parking lots/etc?
The reason I ask is because I've read that anything more than 250mw output is too strong for racing as it will affect the wifi of the people around you.

I agree with you though, flying a p3 is kinda boring, and I reckon learning how to fly a 250 racer in acro mode would make you a much better p3 pilot too.

Hi.
No I will not use the quad for actual racing, a bit of amusement for me but mostly because I shoot mainly high speed events, gocart, trackdays etc. And I feel I could get some interesting shots if I can better keep up with the action on the track, hoping for ~60mph speeds out of my quad, but I only have a guestimation on the weight yet.

Cool stuff. I recently installed a simulator called "FPV Rider" that lets you practice flying a racer. It's really tricky when you put it into acro mode, but I feel like ultimately you want to be able to fly perfectly in acro mode as it gives you the most control over performance. I don't even think Phantom 3s have an acro mode at all.

FPV racer footage would go really well together with p3 footage I reckon, where the longer/higher/more majestic shots are done with a p3 and the racer can get in there on the action.

Hi Tendo, I have built a few fpv racing quads in the past and think i have a reasonable handle on what makes them tick ;) Just as a work of warning you are going to crash these things (if you are anything like me, a lot...) as they are a completely different bird to fly compared to the phantoms. Firstly they will not have gps control unless you shell out for a naza or similar. Best bet is to go with a cc3d flight controller. Its really easy to set up and comes with most of the functions you are going to need. For your VTX (video transmitter) if you want 1km range a immersion 600mw is what i use and have achieved 1.5km out of it but again bear in mind you will want aftermarket antennas for it, like ibcrazy or horizon fpv ones. this should get you out to your 1km mark.

The only other thing i would mention is that if you want to use the for filming at long range a 250 sze frame with a go pro is probably not going to be suitable... With my 250 size racer I struggle to break 7 mins of flight time with it... laden with a go pro. What might be better is to go for a 300 frame or 350 even. Means you can run bigger props for better efficiency and carry a bigger battery for more flight time. This is my new rig for doing exactly what you described TILT Hexacopter - Armattan Quads i built up a frame only but they have a full kit coming out soon. This is a lovely airframe when can even take a front mounted gimbal to stabilise your shots, as a hard mounted go pro on a frame like this gives very jerky results.

As for using the go pro for fpv that will be fine if you are not racing in all likely hood. The cctv cameras have a lower latancy and change between high and low light environments much faster than a go pro, and thus are much better suited to fast pased racing enviroments. If it was my money though I would (and have gone for using both). Use a go pro for hd recording and use your cctv camera for viewing. the beauty with the armattan frame i suggested first is that you can easily run both with no need for modifications.

Here are some other (and cheeper alternatives)
Emax 300 FPV Pure Carbon Racer Combo Kit - Quadcopters.co.uk
Emax Nighthawk Pro 280 Ready To Fly Racing Drone
Lumenier QAV400 Quadcopter Frame with Aluminium Arms

Also do not forget that you would be well of buying an osd to go with your fpv to monitor voltage/ speed etc

If you have more questions just let me know!

Ps, since you will be using 5.8ghz for your fpv it will not cut through trees well atall. Make sure you fly LOS as much as poss!

#joesrevolution
Thanks a million, great tips and links. Will definetly opt for a larger frame, I will use my 250size only for fun =)
The immersion tx sound like a good option.
I have a spektrum radio now for my planes and 3d helis, but cc3d might be worth an upgrade.
Armattan was a little pricy but looks like it's worth the money. Will do a little more investigation tomorrow, then it's the horrible wait before the package arrives =)

Thanks again for your help and I think you may hear from me again =)

No worries! Glad I could help :)

You would be able to use your spektrum radio with one dont worry about that. The cc3d is the pcb on the quad which controls how the rotors run (like the naza).

I love the armattan but it is not cheap! however you do get a lifetime warranty on the carbon parts if you crash and break one (hopefully you wont but just in case...)

I know right! why i always use next day shipping ;-)

where are you based by the way?

No worries! Glad I could help :)

You would be able to use your spektrum radio with one dont worry about that. The cc3d is the pcb on the quad which controls how the rotors run (like the naza).

I love the armattan but it is not cheap! however you do get a lifetime warranty on the carbon parts if you crash and break one (hopefully you wont but just in case...)

I know right! why i always use next day shipping ;-)

where are you based by the way?

Ok, maybe I'll wait with the transmitter, good if I can save $$, next day shipping would probaply leave me waiting anyways, live in the northern parts of Sweden =)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen