Long Range Mods In Canada

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm trying to gauge interest here.
I'm based out of Toronto, Ontario and through all my searches I have noticed a lack of options for us Canadians when looking for somewhere to a) get long range mods done to our transmitters b) buy long range antennas if we want to do it ourselves. We either have to order online and have them shipped to us which results in our bank accounts getting massacred due to the 35% exchange rate and then the expensive shipping on top of that.

What I'm looking for from all you great Canadian people in the forums here is, would you be interested in purchasing from me in Canada if I started carrying long range antennas and if so would you want them installed or just the hardware to do yourself?

If you wouldn't mind to comment with whether you would want:
1) Hardware + install or just hardware
2) which long range antenna brand you would want
3) which DJI model you would need modded.

If the interest is great enough I will start bringing them in & modding them in house.

If I get enough interest I will start bringing them in ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Having only had the phantom >7 days I am not ready for this but watching the forums I know one day my interest will spike. My preferences at that time would be:
1)install
2)unknown
3)standard

-a fellow Canadian an hour north of you

I think if I get the interest I need I will setup a pre-order. I want to cut the costs down as much as possible because right now our options are limited.

I have noticed a lack of options for us Canadians when looking for somewhere to a) get long range mods done to our transmitters

I hear ya on the 35% exchange rate that is headed for higher ground before long P3P - I'm not sure if long range mods for flying would interest me but willing to listen to any sensible reason why they would - seriously.

Not trying to be critical of your idea or being a pain in the you know what..........just passing along my own thoughts on this mod.

I really don't see the need/want for them other than just seeing how far you can fly and depending on the area where you are flying who knows what circumstances can arise for your Phantom.
Our displays show only so much and certainly not with any kind of depth perception as to distance from any objects be they ground level or airborne.

When you really get down to it - you really are limited as to "long distance" flying since ultimately the battery will decide the maximum distance as to just how far we are going to fly out and back again. No?

Good on you for trying to help yourself and others with coming up with a novel idea - hopefully all those Canadian flyers of Phantoms on here (in the last week I have noticed 5 on this forum) and who are interested in long range mods will take you up on it and make it all worth your while.

Since these mods are to enhance your ability to long range flying - tell me, will they give a stronger signal and better control to us who just want to fly LOS (or within the limitations we have now on the OEM controller).

I hear ya on the 35% exchange rate that is headed for higher ground before long P3P - I'm not sure if long range mods for flying would interest me but willing to listen to any sensible reason why they would - seriously.

Not trying to be critical of your idea or being a pain in the you know what..........just passing along my own thoughts on this mod.

I really don't see the need/want for them other than just seeing how far you can fly and depending on the area where you are flying who knows what circumstances can arise for your Phantom.
Our displays show only so much and certainly not with any kind of depth perception as to distance from any objects be they ground level or airborne.

When you really get down to it - you really are limited as to "long distance" flying since ultimately the battery will decide the maximum distance as to just how far we are going to fly out and back again. No?

Good on you for trying to help yourself and others with coming up with a novel idea - hopefully all those Canadian flyers of Phantoms on here (in the last week I have noticed 5 on this forum) and who are interested in long range mods will take you up on it and make it all worth your while.

Since these mods are to enhance your ability to long range flying - tell me, will they give a stronger signal and better control to us who just want to fly LOS (or within the limitations we have now on the OEM controller).

Thanks for the input,

Some people only fly LOS and that's great too. The long range mods have more than one benefit. For myself, where I fly the 2.4ghz band is highly congested, which causes me to lose video feel a lot sooner than I expected. When using one of the long range mods, they really help you cut through the congestion, and will also allow for better reception around trees etc.

I don't think they are for everyone, DJI did a great job with their products. But for those of us who want to step outside the comfort zone/ have a little more fun / etc then can be a huge help. I'm not going to try to sell you on them, but I do invite you to look them up and come to your own conclusions! The two best known ones to me are DBS and FPVLR not in any particular order.

Cheers!!

When using one of the long range mods, they really help you cut through the congestion, and will also allow for better reception around trees etc.

That answers my question with regard to a stronger signal using one of these mods, when flying within the constraints of the DJI controller - as mentioned the long range flying is not of interest to me - but the stronger signal and reception of same is of interest.

So, I am in also if you can come up with a good plan! Keep in touch - thank you.

Burlington/Hamilton area.

Awesome !! Will keep you in the loop !!

If you guys have anyone else who may be interested let me know so I can start working on pricing. I would also need to know if you prefer the FPVLR setup or DBS setup.

If you guys have anyone else who may be interested let me know so I can start working on pricing

Just let another Can flyer know about this deal. FYI his "handle" here is Mininiska

I would also need to know if you prefer the FPVLR setup or DBS setup.

I am busy reading up on both - right now I am leaning towards the DBS set-up - mostly due to its "clean look" and just seems less cumbersome on the controller.

Just let another Can flyer know about this deal. FYI his "handle" here is Mininiska

I am busy reading up on both - right now I am leaning towards the DBS set-up - mostly due to its "clean look" and just seems less cumbersome on the controller.

Perfect !! Thank you for spreading the word !! I'm thinking about ordering one of each and doing some side by side comparisons to see which one is going to be the best for us up here.

Anyone in Canada have a long range mod done ? I'm just wondering what your total cost ended up being so I can make sure my prices are aggressive enough.

Anyone in Canada have a long range mod done ? I'm just wondering what your total cost ended up being so I can make sure my prices are aggressive enough.

Where are you located? I've already ordered the DBS02. I'm paying $150 Canadian for the kit plus $60/hour for the install if I choose to have the install done by the shop.

I think it's the first time this shop will have performed this mod - so I was thinking - if you're close and have done the mod before - maybe I'd bring it to you instead?

I'm supposed to be picking up the kit Saturday afternoon.

Sorry Tenly I missed that opportunity!! But I sent you my # .. Text me if you want to boost it

Well I'm in BC, located very close to the US border. If the price range for a DBS will be comparable to US pricing/exchange rate I may be interested. I'll keep in touch.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It would be compararable

Well I'm in BC, located very close to the US border. If the price range for a DBS will be comparable to US pricing/exchange rate I may be interested. I'll keep in touch.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I spoke to P3P Canada last night and even if his prices were 20% higher than any alternative (and they're not), I think it would be worth dealing with him instead because of the depth of his knowledge, his friendly demeanour and the importance he places on determining and supplying the "right" system for YOU - as opposed to the system that provides the most profit for him. Highly recommend!

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Thank you Tenly!! It was a pleasure speaking to you !! Keep in touch if you have any more questions !!

Ok guys, everything is almost done.
Question for you !! Tough leash antenna or itelite antenna ??

Boosters are going to be Sunhans gold 3w
Battery pack will be a USB power bank
And for mounting it all cleanly we will have a 3D printed quick release mount!! Pics below of the two antenna options !!

bf14c6901056e6582cc03f86f12035bc.jpg

bbf4854efb5bc786eff2be6b5b24dc24.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic