Long IMU warm up solved!

Reaction score
I know some on here will know this technique well, but I thought for anyone searching topics, this title my help them in the future.

If you are like me, and experiencing long IMU warm up periods, there is an easy solution.

First an explanation:
When an IMU calibration is performed, the calibration sets the operating temperature to the same temperature that the IMU is at DURING calibration. Therefore, a very common mistake is to boot the phantom up, let the IMU warm and then perform a calibration. This was my mistake and ended up resulting in 2-3 minute warm up times.

The solution:
You will want to perform a cold IMU calibration. Here are some simple steps.

1. Make sure the drone has been turned off for at least 30 minutes
2. Place the phantom in cool location. (Perhaps outside, a fridge, etc)
3. Allow entire phantom to cool to a reasonable temperature
4. Find a perfectly level surface that will not move or be disrupted during the duration of the calibration
5. Prepare the RC by connecting your mobile device. Power on RC
6. Launch App and open camera view
7. Open the Phantom settings menu, then open the sensors menu.
8. Power on the Phantom.
9. As soon as the RC connects to the Phantom, start the calibration. --- do not wait for the IMU to warm up.
10. Allow calibration to run until 100% complete
11. Optional: perform a gimbal calibration

I realize this is old news to a lot of those here, but I am hoping this post serves as a quick stop for futures searches.

Thanks.

There are already numerous threads and videos to this end. But I am happy that you have a Phantom which is free of the problems many on here, are continually dealing with.
We are Definately the fortunate sons. ;-)

Fly free, Happy landing.

RedHotPoker

It works, well.... issue is if the calibration temp is significantly below that if flight conditions you may find your actual altitude is significantly lower than that reported by the AC at the end of a flight. That was my experience. GO said i was at 25 metres while actual was less than 10.

Thanks for the post,
I was not aware there was a fix for the problem I will definitely give it a try, because 2-3 mins every time it's quite annoying.

Thanks a lot brother!

Got my bird in the fridge next to a few home brews. It's enjoying its time.. going to pull it in about 5 minutes and do an IMU calibration. Fridge time of 30 minutes

How about setting it directly over the A/C vent on the hardwood floor? Let it get good and cool and perform the calibration while over the vent with the cool air blowing on it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Got my bird in the fridge next to a few home brews. It's enjoying its time.. going to pull it in about 5 minutes and do an IMU calibration. Fridge time of 30 minutes
Fridge for 15 minutes and immediately started the calibration. Warming up notice comes up, but by the time I check the battery info, sensors and settings, it is gone. Probably not more than a minute.

I learned the cold IMU trick when I had my Phantom FC40 . Living in Florida and doing a "hot" calibration sucks. It takes too long for the IMU to heat up when ready to fly. I pop the Phantom 3 in the fridge for a bit and calibrate after a firmware update.Takes about 15 seconds to get ready to fly.

Thanks for post! My IMU takes more than 3min to warm up in hot Texas heat and will try this trick as soon as I get home today to see if this helps

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here's a great video

It works, well.... issue is if the calibration temp is significantly below that if flight conditions you may find your actual altitude is significantly lower than that reported by the AC at the end of a flight. That was my experience. GO said i was at 25 metres while actual was less than 10.
What kind of temperature differential are we talking about? "Significantly below" could be 10 or 100 degrees.

In my case- AC at 4°C with ambient at 24, so 28°C difference.
OK, I could believe that. Barometric pressure is affected by temperature and a couple of degrees isn't going to make much of a difference, but 28 degrees is about 5 mm Hg difference.

We have window unit air conditioners. I put mine on dining room table with battery out and drift the air conditioner at it for 15-20 min.
Works fine in Chicago. If I lived in the south or southwest, I'd do the fridge too.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav