Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Long Flight Time Modifacations Phantom 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by funtimegrandpa, Apr 14, 2015.

1. funtimegrandpa

I wanted to do something with my older Phantom 1 rather than just watch it sit on the wall. I decided to first see how much flight time I could get after I modified it to hold a larger battery. As you will see in my video I opened up the backside of where the battery goes allowing for a 5100ma battery. It does come out the back, but that actually allows me to adjust the balance so when it powers off the ground it goes perfectly straight up. I moved the sensor light to the side which required me to extend the wires. It does not look to pretty, but functionality was what I was after. I flew a few times using the 3Drobotics Iris+ 5100ma battery. Each of the flights lasted 26 minutes. These flight were not just hovering, but actually cruising around at good speeds.

I then installed a Tarot T2 Gimbal, 2 24 led lights, 250ma FPV transmitter, Trackimo GPS tracker, Gopro Hero 3+ camera and a voltage buzzer. The total weight with battery was exactly 3 pounds. The flight time with this setup came in at just over 16 minutes which I was very happy with. The other change was my motors had been changed out awhile back with the iPower dymanicaly balanced motors from iFlight-rc.com I just found out a week ago they now have a new online store called http://www.funtobuyonline.com

I know many people have the Phantom 1 and I just wanted to find ways to make it very useful for those that don't have the budget to buy something new. It takes a bit of work for this mod, and you should be good at soldering, but I feel it is now a very stable and useful multi-rotor that can take some great video.

You are more than welcome to stop by and check out the video

I am also going to post a video which will be an updated one to my Tracker video. I believe I have 2 options that people can use for tracking a lost Aircraft. I should have that up in a few days.

Wishing Everyone The Best
    Grandpa Jake

SilverStone641 likes this.
  2. capodrone81

hey grandpa jake I'm a huge fan... !!! welcome to the board!...

Im modding my spare P1, i watched the review on those black motors you bought and installed, did you swap out the esc when installing them? i forget the name of the company but they seemed decent quality, are you still using them ?

3. funtimegrandpa

Thanks Capodrone, I am still using the black motors they're called IPower. Made by iFlight-rc.com they have been totally fantastic run cool have a lot of power and smooth as silk. You can get them from their online store http://www.funtobuyonline.com Or look for them on eBay they're really inexpensive but truly work great.

4. capodrone81

did you swap out the stock P1 esc? or no just reused with new motors.

5. funtimegrandpa

I kept the stock esc's. I did bump up the PID's. Some, not sue exactly but I think to 150. I will check tomorrow.

6. capodrone81

yes please I'm gonna do this upgrade to my p1.. what battery did you find worked best? i think you said you didn't like the dual battery setup due to instability. what battery are you using these days on the p1?

7. IflyinWY

Sweet numbers,
    Which props are you using?
    I'm very interested in your field elevation. I only wish for flight time like that, here at 6,000 feet.
    That's the first 3 pound P1 I've ever heard of. So I guess that makes you the "Heavyweight" on the block.
    Thanks for sharing :D

8. funtimegrandpa

I am using the phantom 2 props and it flys very fast and stable. I have tried a few different batteries, but the Iris+ battery 5100 ma from 3drobotics lasted the longest. I use them on my Iris+ and thought I would give them a try, they are also smaller than similar batteries. My Phantom 2 non vision with 3axis gimbal, gopro 600ma fpv transmitter and gps tracker gets about 12-13 minutes,

9. funtimegrandpa

look up 3drobotics.com and go to batteries, you will see the 5100ma listed. it is $39 and for me has worked great. The footprint is smaller than others which is nice.