Long Exposure Shots

Reaction score
Never got into the photo side of this hobby strangely enough, but like the look of these 5 sec exposure shots i keep seeing on facebook where lights in night photos look tricky. How are people doing this kind of photo, i have spent that long on the flying and the video side of the hobby that photos is not something i have ever got in to, in fact i have never even snapped one photo with any phantom i have so its about time me thinks. LOL

I don't think you can do those type of shots with the P3 camera. You need full control over the aperture/shutter speed like you would have on a DSLR. Not to mention many times these kind of shots are taken on a tripod with no movement.

Yea light trail blur kinda photos, similar to what you just showed but not as full on as that.

The answer i have got of facebook is this. " go into advanced mode for camera for manual control over the iso, shutter and exposure. Increase the exposure to max. Shutter speed to 5-8 seconds and decrease the iso to 100 to reduce noise and voila done.

doesn't mean a great deal to me but gives me something to go on and play around with so thought i would pass it on for others wanting the same kinda snaps.

Underneath the shutter button in the Pilot app, there's a button with a few horizontal sliders as its icon. Tap that and a panel with manual/advanced settings should appear on the right side of the screen. From there, you can control ISO and exposure length.

I've always used ISO 100 for the long exposures at night. My understanding is that anything higher will end up very grainy.

I've been able to get decent results up to 4", myself, but anything over 2" usually requires several attempts before one comes out sharp. On a calm night, I've heard that some folks have managed to get 8" to come out looking nice, but I haven't ever myself.

For me, the key has been to wait until the h/s and v/s movement indicators have read 0.0 for a second or two. The gimbal is so good that the Pilot app's view seems stationary a bit before the P3 truly has stopped moving, but that last bit of drift/momentum will ruin a long exposure. Then, take at least 2-3 shots for every scene you want to photograph. Even at 2", I usually end up deleting half of what I captured due to blurriness caused by slight movements (and you can't always see that until you view them on a larger display, so just take lots to be safe).

http://www.phantompilots.com/index....xposure-picture-thread!-Plus-pictures!.44797/

Check my thread i made, your welcome :)
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437422548.679691.jpg

You need ND filter and a bit of height to avoid the appearance of camera shake. The ND filter will allow shots to be held open for longer and compensate for lack of aperture control as it's fixed at f2.8 which is quite large really.

Underneath the shutter button in the Pilot app, there's a button with a few horizontal sliders as its icon. Tap that and a panel with manual/advanced settings should appear on the right side of the screen. From there, you can control ISO and exposure length.

I've always used ISO 100 for the long exposures at night. My understanding is that anything higher will end up very grainy.

I've been able to get decent results up to 4", myself, but anything over 2" usually requires several attempts before one comes out sharp. On a calm night, I've heard that some folks have managed to get 8" to come out looking nice, but I haven't ever myself.

For me, the key has been to wait until the h/s and v/s movement indicators have read 0.0 for a second or two. The gimbal is so good that the Pilot app's view seems stationary a bit before the P3 truly has stopped moving, but that last bit of drift/momentum will ruin a long exposure. Then, take at least 2-3 shots for every scene you want to photograph. Even at 2", I usually end up deleting half of what I captured due to blurriness caused by slight movements (and you can't always see that until you view them on a larger display, so just take lots to be safe).

Cool, just having a play about, and now i know what i am doing with the shutter and where to set it im up and running. Cheers Dave

Last edited:
You need ND filter and a bit of height to avoid the appearance of camera shake. The ND filter will allow shots to be held open for longer and compensate for lack of aperture control as it's fixed at f2.8 which is quite large really.

I haven't used an ND filter for any of my long exposures. Wouldn't using an ND filter for photo, vs. video, mean that you'd need the thing to hold still for even longer to let enough light in to get the shot?

Cool looks good that, these are exactly the sort of pictures i was wanting to know how to take. Dont know much about the photos but like you said i am sure a ND filter would mean you would need a longer exposure time making the job harder.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj