Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Long exposure pic help

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by CafeRacer, May 7, 2016.

1. CafeRacer

Does anyone know how to take long exposure pics with the P3P. This was posted in the P4 topic, just curious if anyone has taken pics like this with the P3P or P3A. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. alokbhargava

Wow this is superb, I also want to learn the process.

3. dino

It makes for great photos

Attached Files:

4. dino

Another one

Attached Files:

5. CafeRacer

Ok Dino, now your just bragging. I believe this is a how to thread so spill the beans!!! Lol

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

6. MasterBlaster

In camera settings change it to manual and the shutter to 1" or 2" etc. this is how many seconds the shutter will stay open. You can go up to 8 seconds, but it is likely to drift. I find 3 seconds to work for me. Also, make sure you turn your forward red lights off. Take a few shots to get a good one. I love using it.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alokbhargava and Noodle like this.
  7. bLaStErAiD

There are nice "how to's" in the photo and video section of the forum, that's where I got the help I needed to take some long exposure pictures myself

8. Multicoptertec

Drag the shutter. [​IMG]

9. L0v3

10. YoshiK1

I'm not sure what settings can be changed on the P3 camera as I've only just got mine and not looked into it much but I am a photographer and hopefully the following can help out.

1 - use low ISO I.e 100 as the higher it is the more noise (grain) is introduced.

2 - A slow shutter speed. The low ISO will help with this a lot because it's then darker and for the sensor to fill to the correct exposure the shutter needs to stay open for longer to let as much light in as possible. Using an ND filter can help to slow it further. Check limitations on how slow the shutter can actually be though on the camera.

There are other things like focusing to infinity etc but I don't think they can apply to the P3.

I'm impressed with the quality of those pictures because long exposure should be done on a tripod to minimise movement as even the tiniest of movement ruined the shot! It'll be a lot of trial and error on a phantom but fly on a not so windy day haha! Good luck and can't wait to see the photos

11. MasterBlaster

For those in the US - Make sure everyone spends some time practicing your night photo settings to get them the way you like. The 4th of July is right around the corner and I know I can't wait to be in the air and get some long exposure shots of the fireworks. Yes, I will fly from a safe area that gives me views of at least 5 firework displays going off in the distance. I am sure we will all be sharing some great photos. Again, I can't wait!

Takeoff_Smith likes this.
  12. alokbhargava

Wow, this forum is full of experts. I m biting my nails now.

13. alokbhargava

Exactly, I had that in my mind when I saw the first picture :)

14. Roamer105

Cool pictures!
    The P3P has the same shutter limits as the P4 (8 seconds to 1/8000). So, one way to do this is to set the ASA to 100 manually (least grain) and figure out what shutter speed will do the trick once the bird is in the air and stable (needless to say, it really has to be stable).

15. MasterBlaster

I was just out playing with my settings and realized with the last DJI Go app update (I think it is new) you can now set the red LED lights on the front of the phantom to the right trigger on the RC. You just have to set it up in the Go app RC settings. This works great for when you are out taking eve/night photos as you can easily turn them on to fly up/down/around, and then easily turn them off to take pics. If of course you are not using it for anything more important.

16. MasterBlaster

Here are a couple from 2 nights ago. The sunset colors were amazing. These were having the shutter open for 3 and 5 seconds. You can even see the moon and stars in the sky. I love taking night photos with it![​IMG][​IMG]

Digdat0 likes this.
  17. JJPhantom3Pro

Fplvert likes this.