Long distance filming

Reaction score
Guys

Something a pal asked me about last week got me thinking about a project - I wonder what your thoughts would be on it.

There is a disused 20-mile canal that runs from a lake near where I live and I'd be interested in filming the whole length of it. The country footage could then be sped up to make a shorter edit, with slower sections around the lock gates. There is a towpath that runs the length of the canal alongside, so I could possibly be a passenger on a motorbike or quad to control the craft while traveling along slightly behind it.

I realise that I would have to stop to change batteries and therefore would have to edit the clips together - but that shouldn't be an issue. It could be done over a number of days if needs be.

However, what would be the potential pitfalls in doing something like this? I assume I'd have to set the maximum distance range to whatever a full battery's worth of distance would be, but what about the RTH function when the craft detects that there won't be enough juice to return to the original home point. I could always pause and reset the home point and then continue?

Any other issues that I have glaringly not thought about?

It will tell you when it's "coming home" at that point you could either reset the home point or, if your battery is getting low, take it out of rth and land.

happydays said:
Guys

Something a pal asked me about last week got me thinking about a project - I wonder what your thoughts would be on it.

There is a disused 20-mile canal that runs from a lake near where I live and I'd be interested in filming the whole length of it. The country footage could then be sped up to make a shorter edit, with slower sections around the lock gates. There is a towpath that runs the length of the canal alongside, so I could possibly be a passenger on a motorbike or quad to control the craft while traveling along slightly behind it.

I realise that I would have to stop to change batteries and therefore would have to edit the clips together - but that shouldn't be an issue. It could be done over a number of days if needs be.

However, what would be the potential pitfalls in doing something like this? I assume I'd have to set the maximum distance range to whatever a full battery's worth of distance would be, but what about the RTH function when the craft detects that there won't be enough juice to return to the original home point. I could always pause and reset the home point and then continue?

Any other issues that I have glaringly not thought about?

Or you can do it in 20 or so steps..
Sounds like a fun one..

I like the idea...have already talked with the wife about driving me to the next town so I can fly the phantom the 16.4 miles from the car. Just something to do. I think it would be great to see the video. Good luck with your project.

If that RTH screen pops up when bat is to low you can select GO HOME or CANCEL and continue flight or land.

Assuming P2V+ can reach 15km range per DJI spec, you may need to set max. radius to 20km or so. Theoretically, 3 batteries (maybe 2 batteries if you push it hard and fly at high speed) should get the job done. May need to plan 3 sets of take-off and landing spots like playing a par-5 hole with proper course management.

Good luck ;)

happydays said:
I could possibly be a passenger on a motorbike or quad to control the craft while traveling along slightly behind it.

I would try to think more towards a larger/smoother ride... Like a pickup truck or convertible... Keeping smooth on the controls on a bumpy road is hard enough in a moving vehicle let alone trying to balance on the back of a moving dirt bike or quad... If you are going max speed in a straight line it's no big deal... But if you are trying to moderate your speed and be smooth about it... You need a firm control point :ugeek:

DBS said:
happydays said:
I could possibly be a passenger on a motorbike or quad to control the craft while traveling along slightly behind it.

I would try to think more towards a larger/smoother ride... Like a pickup truck or convertible... Keeping smooth on the controls on a bumpy road is hard enough in a moving vehicle let alone trying to balance on the back of a moving dirt bike or quad... If you are going max speed in a straight line it's no big deal... But if you are trying to moderate your speed and be smooth about it... You need a firm control point :ugeek:

I have a 2-seater car, but the problem is that the pathway alongside the canal isn't suitable for road vehicles. Good call though...

Been out of action for a while with a faulty RE700 which wouldn't charge. I am currently using an RE500 as a temporary measure.

Since I was grounded, the new software has been announced. with the adjustable home point function made available. I guess (but would seek your opinion on it as the weather in Ireland is crap and I can't get out to test) that the above thread is now obsolete, and that I will be able to fly along while following in the car without any of the aforementioned worries?

I really need to get out and test this idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic