LONG, detailed review of extended range options

Hello everyone. I have completed extensive tests on various extended range modifications and I am here to give you the background, results, and experiences that I believe have been missing for some time. Beware that this is lengthy, but I want to share everything. I have developed explanations for my results- which is helpful because mod results are dependent on environment. Needless to say I know how to point antennas and I know the settings to promote range in DJI GO.

Here is my story:

I live in an urban area- not suburban. I am around loads of interference, and I am in the middle of a fairly large United States East Coast City, with a harbor. I do my flying in an urban environment. I originally had a P3Advanced, then a Professional. I was fortunate enough to have the ITElite remote from the start. I never flew either one of them stock. I was very satisfied with the ranges and penetrations I got. I was easily able to go 2-2.5 miles with no issues in this environment. When flying outside of town in other environments, the range was only limited by battery life. I always read about FPVLR, other modifications, etc, but I was happy with what I had.

Enter the P4:
I enthusiastically sold my entire P3 setup and snapped up a P4 as soon as it came out. I flew it, and was happy with its craftsmanship, etc- but on range, I was crushed. I couldn't go more than a couple thousand feet without weak and ultimately lost signal. I was disappointed, upset, and frankly pissed. Yes, DJI claimed the range was the same, but any evidence of decent range I could find were people flying over the ocean, lakes, or desert! What about a city-dweller like me? Surely not every person is going to drive an hour to fly their drone! So I immersed myself in the world of range mods, wanting to know every option, every explanation, every detail about what I could do to resurrect my P4 and resume my happiness that I had before. I am a physicist by profession, and I figured I would apply my sense of experimentation to meet the needs of MY environment. I watched videos of 9 mile flights. I spent hours reading explanations, arguments, claims, and animations. I studied RF behavior, signal strength implications, antenna design. I wanted something clean, yet effective. I decided to do what it would take. My journey was beginning. I started with Freddy:
FDR Drone Mods:
I began speaking with Freddy Del Rosario who runs FDR Drone Mods. I was intrigued by his promotional video for a product (not yet released) called the "Titan". We spent time discussing on the phone what he wanted in a setup. Something clean, not inconvenient, bulky. Something effective. What I so desperately sought. This guy knew my taste! Freddy was a very nice guy, and he took the time to talk. As time dragged on, I began to realize that he wasn't as developed in his plans for the "Titan" as was desired. Although it wasn't a pipe dream, it was still a ways off. But, Freddy offered a modification that he promoted well. It was the standard SMA modification through the original holes- well crafted, and using what he claimed was an incredibly shielded cable. With his 7 and 9dbi antennas, he claimed he could surpass itELITE range. He showed me many, many tests that he did. I wondered how any omni setup would surpass a very directional antenna, but somehow he did! And I believed him. In the back of my mind, I was aware that all his tests were in an environment far more flat, suburban, and with less interference. But nonetheless, I hurriedly shipped him my P4 remote.
As promised, he did his mod. The SMA connectors looked good, OEM. And I purchased some 7 and 9 dbi antennas that he recommended for long range. A week later I was able to fly:
Disappointment. It flew better than stock, but only a little. I was able to go maybe 3500-4000 ft, sometimes 5000ft before the weak signal and return to home. A small improvement, but nowhere near what I was hoping. I was really bummed. I don't dispute Freddy's results, but they just didn't work in my environment. Now I had to go all out----the other way. Screw it- I would buy the mod that people claimed got them miles and miles and miles of flight. The bulky time bomb, the Frankenstein itself- the amped FPVLR!

FPVLR/Tony:
I figured, "hey- who cares if it is ugly. If it blasts through everything with these amps, I will be one happy camper!" So I began talking with Tony. He explained his ideas of circular polarization versus linear polarization, his design, etc. (I will get into this in a bit) He spoke quite a bit. Tony is a nice guy and he seemed reasonable. Hell, people swore by his product!! So this was going to be my savior of the P4! I purchased the big kahuna itself- and my FPVLR arrived!

I excitedly installed it. I really tried to look past how cumbersome it was, the Velcro patches to add, the extra weight and all the cabling. The battery pack to charge, etc. I realized that it is VERY difficult to remove the cable from the RC USB port once it is set up. If there is a firmware update, it was going to be not very ergonomical, but if this was the sacrifice, so be it. Off to the races I went!
Uggghhhh!!!!!!!

Yes, there was improvement. Yes I noticed a larger improvement than prior. But I was still only getting 5500-6000 feet in this extremely congested environment. I cursed!!! Alas, my dreams were back to just that. Back to the drawing board. This time, simple and cheap:

Windsurfer:
Threw on this, got about 4000 ft. Similar to Freddy's setup. Blah. Needed more. Wanted more.

Argtek:
Then I purchased the "Blue Proton/Argtek" flat panel patch antennas. I was intrigued. I came across them on Amazon. They looked interesting. Could this be my salvation? If so, they would be easy, simple, what I wanted!! Around 4500ft. Great bang for the buck, but not that much of a bang.

Full Circle:
Sigh. At this point, I figured what the hell!!! Let's go back to what worked months ago! I came across Jake's site posted on PhantomPilots and ordered the ITelite (unboosted) from him. Prior to ordering, we spoke on the phone. I told him what I was doing, where I was, my experiences, etc. I was taken aback by him. He didn't promise ranges- he said they are environmentally dependent. His straightforward nature impressed me. He was honest, fair, very responsive. I went through his site many times. He clearly was talented and could create a good setup, good design. He stood out from the rest because he was matter of fact and just came across as honest. I can't quite describe it in words, but I am usually a pretty good judge of character, and here was a guy who simply wants to add to the enjoyment of the hobby and help others out. A mensch. I ordered the tried and true (in my case) itElite.

Boy did I put it through its paces. And boy did it deliver. In my environment, I was back exactly where I was with my P3. I was so excited that I got my bird back that I called Jake and told him how happy I was!!!! I was back to getting 12000ft and over the most dense and interference-congested areas, 7000-8000ft no problem. NONE of the other setups gave that to me. I couldn't believe it. And I had the added benefit of finding someone who is a great asset to this hobby. Jake will always be my go to person in the future, and subsequent to my tests I have noticed many, many others openly praising their dealings with him, which further validates my impression of him. I'll always give someone like that my business.

I actually sent the FPVLR to Jake and said- take this! I don't want it! It's yours. Experiment on it if you want.

Explanation/some more technical speak:
Here's the thing: the ItElite antenna basically has a 180 degree field. It is flat and directional. The high gain puts its signal straight forward, like a wall bulging out.
FPVLR is more"conical". A bit more directional.
This tells me that if I were in a totally empty environment, like where people post 9 mile FPVLR flights, sure, high range is possible. But in an urban environment where even boosted signal can bounce, be attenuated by structures, be redirected, etc, it's increased directionality and ability to be distorted supersedes the benefits of the reduced interference between the circularly polarized antennas. In THIS environment, a linearly polarized 180 degree flat panel works best.
Anything omnidirectional like Freddy's won't go as far because signal is being broadcast behind you- now a higher gain means signal might go farther, but the "donut" shape of the signal is narrowed- envision a washer. Outside of the washer, you're out of luck. And I actually WANT directionality. How many people actually fly while facing the opposite direction of their drone? I would rather have all my signal pumped forward as I am always facing in the general direction of where I am flying.

Now as I said, I am extremely happy with my setup. I went full circle. I will probably get Jake's amped setup in a few weeks, out of curiosity. I suspect it will boost the range even further, although I'm at a point where I don't really need it. But the evidence shows in an urban environment, this would probably give the most effective result. Remember that with boosted signal comes boosted noise, so it isn't a simple benefit of a proportional rise in strength=proportionate increase in distance, etc, but I suspect added benefit.

I had/have no "dog in the fight" other than that I wanted to get the ranges and capabilities that I had prior. I wanted to share all of this with you so you know my experiences, my environment, and what I did.

Last note of caution:
There is a company out there, "Drone World" that claims a "extended range modification" which they sell at $499. I have confirmed through multiple sources and independent verification that they are simply selling the ItElite modification at a more than 300% markup. It is not "their" modification. They just are taking advantage of newbies, which is unconscionable. It isn't any different a modification to the ItElite.

There you have it! I probably could have gone on in even more detail and even longer, but I want this out there so people can refer to this when they are deciding what to do, especially if you are in a real-world environment, as opposed to looking to score points by showing a long flight in the middle of nowhere.
All the Best,
David

Thank very clear and concise DOE. I have been waiting on this before I pull the trigger on a range mod. This cleared things up for me.

Going to compare my ITElite from my P3 RC to my stock P4 RC. Bought the DBS and couldn't have been less impressed. In my area it yielded a 10% increase over stock on my P3P. Nothing more.

Fair enough. But you may not get what you want ......
Hey Davphys, would you mind a few questions so I can get a full picture of your extensive testing? Great info you provided. I think it sealed the deal on a DBS setup for my P4.

1. Regarding the channel used for your testing...... were you using Automatic or CUSTOM? If CUSTOM, what channel were you using when you did your tests? Do you have the 32ch mod?
2. What Transmission Quality did you have Go app set to? The transmission quality shows up on the channel screen (click HD icon) when you select CUSTOM.
3. Were all of your tests run with the same channel and Transmission Quality?
4. Would you mind sharing the location you did your tests so we can see the environment you were dealing with? An address near your location is fine, we can use street view to see the area.

EXCELLENT questions John:
(1) I used custom channel 31. I do have the 32 channel mod.
(2) I used the lowest (4Mbps) transmission setting
(3) ALL tests were run with these exact specifications.
(4) I did all of this in Baltimore, MD. Middle of downtown. Google map 10 Light Street, Baltimore MD. The Bank of America building. This was the environment I tested in. Yes, the middle of downtown- buildings, high rises, antennas, etc.

Hey Davphys, would you mind a few questions so I can get a full picture of your extensive testing? Great info you provided. I think it sealed the deal on a DBS setup for my P4.

1. Regarding the channel used for your testing...... were you using Automatic or CUSTOM? If CUSTOM, what channel were you using when you did your tests? Do you have the 32ch mod?
2. What Transmission Quality did you have Go app set to? The transmission quality shows up on the channel screen (click HD icon) when you select CUSTOM.
3. Were all of your tests run with the same channel and Transmission Quality?
4. Would you mind sharing the location you did your tests so we can see the environment you were dealing with? An address near your location is fine, we can use street view to see the area.

PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't fully understand the total Long Range upgrade nor the components used but I hope to hear from some experts. Bear with me and I'll get to my question, lol. I have a Phanton 3 Pro and have lots of miles on it. The day I ordered it, I also ordered this $20 windsurfer as well.
7f1ad1d26ec52c670532a2153273ca77.jpg

I've tested with and without the windsurfer and the results are obvious. I had no idea it would increase my range that much. I can pretty much out fly the battery. In downtown Oklahoma City, I've went 16,000 ft. On the outskirts, I hit my record high 21,000ft. I got lucky and landed with 15% battery. I'm so happy I bought it! A friend bought one on Amazon but it's a copper color, and it isn't as good. My question is-I almost purchased a crazy expensive range extender from www.droneworld.com. They claim for a $599 upgrade, you can go over 5 miles. By the looks, Drone World is a reputable UAV seller, so I'm wondering if this is a ripoff or at least why so darn expensive?
fd67694d71afb3e842399d126c52428a.jpg

I'm wanting to know because I'm thinking about purchasing the Phantom 4. The guy that started this Topic tested the windsurfer on the P4 and range was not satisfying to me either. Will you guys look at the picture links I've attached and see if you know of this product and if it's legitimate? The Drone World P4 LR upgrade is even higher than the P3P version, at a ridiculous price $999! It would be pointless to buy for the P3P because I would think your battery would run out at that distance unless modified. I'd kill my self if I bought it with a new P4 and had more success with a windsurfer! Lol! Hope to hear some replies! Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a Phanton 3 Pro and have lots of miles on it. The day I ordered it, I also ordered this $20 windsurfer as well.
I've tested with and without the windsurfer and the results are obvious. I had no idea it would increase my range that much. I can pretty much out fly the battery. In downtown Oklahoma City, I've went 16,000 ft.
I also love the windsurfer on my P3P, I have over a million feet logged and it works fantastic, given it only cost $25. However the same windsurfer on my P4 doesn't work quite as good. Although I've demonstrated 15,000' with my P4 using windsurfer under ideal conditions, I constantly get sudden NO SIGNAL scenarios with no warning, meaning no control to the craft and no video. If the NO SIGNAL lasts more then 3 seconds RTH kicks in. I have NEVER had a NO SIGNAL scenario with my P3P, only weak signal, and I will start to lose video, but I've never lost control signal. My SOP with my P3P when I get weak signal is to ascend 100' to get my video signal back, which usually works. It's as though the control signal on the P3 is way stronger and more reliable than the video signal. I go 2mi with my P3P all the time (300' high at least) and rarely lose video, only rarely. But with my P4, I'm lucky to get 1.5mi, and many times I'll get dropouts at 3000-4000'. I'm disappointed in the step backward DJI has taken with the P4 Lightbridge, what they have coined "Enhanced Lightbridge". That's a joke, I would call it "Lightbridge-Lite". Otherwise I like my P4, I just wish it had the same signal integrity and distance as my P3P.

I had similar issues. My 2 cents:

-Windsurfer, for what it is and what it costs its awesome. Cant go wrong with that. Increased my I1 range from 4 km to a solid 8 km. And most important, NO sudden Aircraft disconnect, the only that did not do that.
-Argtek, piece of junk. REDUCED my range from 4 km to 2 km.
-FPVLR, unboosted, is good but not great. Range increased from from 5 km to 9 km, on a P3P. But connection was shaky. Too expensive for what it is.

Now waiting to get and test DBS. Anyone knows where to get a DBS in black ?

Awesome! Another tester- I wonder if you'll see the same results as I did (if you are in an urban environment). What craft are you using? I got much better results with the DBS on my P4 than the windsurfer. Agree with you on Argtek and as stated in my extensive review, the FPVLR boosted is a very expensive setup and not necessarily ideal in an urban environment (notwithstanding its ergonomic issues/ weight/clunkiness/Frankenstein-time- bomb appearance).

-Windsurfer, for what it is and what it costs its awesome. Cant go wrong with that. Increased my I1 range from 4 km to a solid 8 km. And most important, NO sudden Aircraft disconnect, the only that did not do that.
-FPVLR, unboosted, is good but not great. Range increased from from 5 km to 9 km, on a P3P. But connection was shaky. Too expensive for what it is.

i'm also planning to buy this. i just have to hope you the topic starter isnt the only person achieving these results :p
The modification seems easy, i just dont like to see a tiny improvement for something so expensive so i hope it's as awesome as described.

I anticipate you will be very happy. It makes sense from an RF perspective. Making the signal directional and higher gain will give you increased range in the direction you point it. And the ITElite seems matched to the linear polarization of the Phantom itself. While results are obviously dependent on environment, physics is physics :) You may want to start with the unboosted setup and verify your improvement with the less expensive option before moving forward on the boosted setup. That's what I did. And Jake is great.

i'm also planning to buy this. i just have to hope you the topic starter isnt the only person achieving these results :p
The modification seems easy, i just dont like to see a tiny improvement for something so expensive so i hope it's as awesome as described.

Reactions: phantom13flyer

Man, white controller, white DBS panel - its a match made in heaven!

You can't really compare apples with apples if you don't get the DBS one that everyone is using.... Your review would not have merit if you don't get the same kit. Please get the same kit and then paint if you dont like black (after you done the review).... but white drone, white controller - come on...

Last edited:
Awesome! Another tester- I wonder if you'll see the same results as I did (if you are in an urban environment). What craft are you using? I got much better results with the DBS on my P4 than the windsurfer. Agree with you on Argtek and as stated in my extensive review, the FPVLR boosted is a very expensive setup and not necessarily ideal in an urban environment (notwithstanding its ergonomic issues/ weight/clunkiness/Frankenstein-time- bomb appearance).

I got this antenna here on my standard, would I see better results with the DBS antenna? I have gone out to 9000ft.

PHANTOM 3 STANDARD KITS | FPVCustoms Antenna Uppgrades For Drones

80bc7f8587214dbfe7357f1e942a3982.jpg

394d741b11c8e4dbfb1f73ad7f7d05ee.jpg

My p4 run with Dbs mod..... 4 miles out.... 8 total [emoji848][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Reactions: Sim597
I'm thinking of getting the dbs antennae mod by sending my p3 advance with the hdmi module in for modification. Can I pair the p3 advance controller to the p4 without having to update remote controller firmware and can I use the same modded dbs controller to pair to either the p3 and p4 without a problem?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Not sure about firmware as if they two don't sync up, or no signal until both the RC and the P4 are upgraded.
But yes, I've only used my P3P remote to fly my P4 so far as it's the one with the antenna mod. So you can easily switch between the two as needed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav