London Drone Flying Experience Request

Reaction score
Hi, I am investigating the purchase of a drone (for the sake of the conversation lets say the Phantom Pro 4) . The drone will be used for my company to record various construction sites that we have been working on as a structural engineer. These locations are based throughout London, from Central London and Westminster to further out in the suburbs. My question is if anybody has any good experience in using drones in the centre of London? Without getting in trouble with the law or their drones locked? doing a bit of research and talking to DJI I get different responses. The rules say drones below 7kg can be flown anywhere but within sight and not near to crowds.

Drone laws in the UK – what are the rules?

DJI has locks on their drones where in some areas the thing just wont start I have found out. Does this happen in London? If so is there a place where I can find these sport. DJI told me I can ask to get these locks removed, how easy is it to get this done?

Can anybody tell me how feasible it is to use a drone around confined areas such as construction sites in London. Just going up, spinning a bit around might be enough to inspect some sites and produce some stunning images. But yes technically it will be 150m from perhaps a busy road. The rules might seem bendable but I'd like to hear from a experienced drone flyer what can and can't be done.

Thank you all very much.

As I understand it, without a PFAW from the CAA you shouldn't be flying over a "congested area" which London is and pretty much any town, and city.

and I hate to be "that guy" but Doing it for commercial purposes also requires a PFAW.

But if you're a competent pilot, do it hush, hush, apply common sense and you should be ok ;)

The "locks" are geo-fencing and you can self-certify yourself on the Go App if I remember right and the lock will remove for the flight. These will be operating above sensitive areas like airports and prisons etc

Last edited:
Hi, I am investigating the purchase of a drone (for the sake of the conversation lets say the Phantom Pro 4) . The drone will be used for my company to record various construction sites that we have been working on as a structural engineer. These locations are based throughout London, from Central London and Westminster to further out in the suburbs. My question is if anybody has any good experience in using drones in the centre of London? Without getting in trouble with the law or their drones locked? doing a bit of research and talking to DJI I get different responses. The rules say drones below 7kg can be flown anywhere but within sight and not near to crowds.

Drone laws in the UK – what are the rules?

DJI has locks on their drones where in some areas the thing just wont start I have found out. Does this happen in London? If so is there a place where I can find these sport. DJI told me I can ask to get these locks removed, how easy is it to get this done?

Can anybody tell me how feasible it is to use a drone around confined areas such as construction sites in London. Just going up, spinning a bit around might be enough to inspect some sites and produce some stunning images. But yes technically it will be 150m from perhaps a busy road. The rules might seem bendable but I'd like to hear from a experienced drone flyer what can and can't be done.

Thank you all very much.

Providing you hold your permission for aerial work. You will need to speak to the drone desk at the CAA in London and they will tell you if you can fly or they will have to amend your pfco to give you permission. This normally takes 12 weeks for the clearance to be approved.

Providing you hold your permission for aerial work. You will need to speak to the drone desk at the CAA in London and they will tell you if you can fly or they will have to amend your pfco to give you permission. This normally takes 12 weeks for the clearance to be approved.
Only a government agency would believe the rest of the world can wait ~90 days for a response. That sort of response time undermines most people's desire to act according to the law. Same issue with the FAA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic