Log Footage

Yours is normal. When you use D-LOG and there are trees and grass, they look mushy. You can try filming at higher exposure. There are many posts that talk about this topic. In some situation, NONE is better than D-LOG. See this
D-Log Colour vs NONE - Detailed comparison
Good advice. I missed the 'log' reference. I shoot in none, not experienced enough or have the editing software to really 'fix' log videos.

Yours is normal. When you use D-LOG and there are trees and grass, they look mushy. You can try filming at higher exposure. There are many posts that talk about this topic. In some situation, NONE is better than D-LOG. See this
D-Log Colour vs NONE - Detailed comparison

Interesting - thanks for the link makes for interesting reading will post over there.

I have separately contacted a local repair place who have offered to service the drone but they have mentioned the lens may not have been focussed properly at the factory and have suggested replacing the sensor - I'm concerned about fixing something that isn't broken though they have said they'll diagnose first.

Thoughts?

Stills will confirm if the focus is ok. And try some video not in 'log' mode before you give it to a shop. And if you do, make sure it's someone who has actually works on Phantoms already. Any shop familiar with phantoms would know how to adjust the focus. Replacing the sensor to correct misfocus is IMHO overkill.

There's nothing wrong with the camera.
Put the original clear filter on and record at none setting with style on -1/-1/-1 or all on zero rather than trying to go very flat.
I downloaded the first clip and bitrate was under 4mb, I'd render 1080p at maybe 15mb though youtube might have knocked yours back more.

The very flat recording style needs considerable work - or a LUT applied - to get near normal looking results.
For this you really need now what you are doing at editing stage and it takes a lot of trial and error.

I put a DJI LUT on it and got this - though ideally it wanted a bit more time spent on levels and colour balance.
ND filters invariably cause colour balance problems which need correcting, I really don't like them at least not above ND8.
Controlling shutter speed is less of an issue than it is made out to be at youtube level.
In video there is no reason to use NDs other than trying to slow shutter.

There's nothing wrong with the camera.
Put the original clear filter on and record at none setting with style on -1/-1/-1 or all on zero rather than trying to go very flat.
I downloaded the first clip and bitrate was under 4mb, I'd render 1080p at maybe 15mb though youtube might have knocked yours back more.

The very flat recording style needs considerable work - or a LUT applied - to get near normal looking results.
For this you really need now what you are doing at editing stage and it takes a lot of trial and error.

I put a DJI LUT on it and got this - though ideally it wanted a bit more time spent on levels and colour balance.
ND filters invariably cause colour balance problems which need correcting, I really don't like them at least not above ND8.
Controlling shutter speed is less of an issue than it is made out to be at youtube level.
In video there is no reason to use NDs other than trying to slow shutter.

This is really helpful thank you. The footage straight off the aircraft is about 25mbps the clip I shared was two clips cut together by FCPX and is only 13Mbps (is that right that it should be so low?) I don't know how to render any higher?

Thanks very much - weather permitting I will shoot some footage with the above settings this weekend and share.

Try NONE. Wait for good lighted scene and see. I wouldn't repair just bcs D-LOG does not look right. I found this, which is a summary of what I wanted to tell you. For some reason, most people here recommends D-LOG. Most of the time when I use D-LOG I get mushy grass and trees.
"This is when it’s time to abandon log and go back to a conventional gamma curve. You don’t need log when the scene only has a limited dynamic range. If you use Rec-709, which has a 6 stop range (without any knee) instead of log, at the same ISO, then now instead of recording using only 35% of the available data you will be using almost 85% of the available data and that’s going to give you much more real picture information to work with in post production. You will get a much better end result by not using log."

Try NONE. Wait for good lighted scene and see. I wouldn't repair just bcs D-LOG does not look right. I found this, which is a summary of what I wanted to tell you. For some reason, most people here recommends D-LOG. Most of the time when I use D-LOG I get mushy grass and trees.
"This is when it’s time to abandon log and go back to a conventional gamma curve. You don’t need log when the scene only has a limited dynamic range. If you use Rec-709, which has a 6 stop range (without any knee) instead of log, at the same ISO, then now instead of recording using only 35% of the available data you will be using almost 85% of the available data and that’s going to give you much more real picture information to work with in post production. You will get a much better end result by not using log."

Thank you. Are you able to explain this is further detail 6 stop range?

Rec-709, which has a 6 stop range (without any knee) instead of log, at the same ISO, then now instead of recording using only 35% of the available data you will be using almost 85%

Thank you. Are you able to explain this is further detail 6 stop range?

Rec-709, which has a 6 stop range (without any knee) instead of log, at the same ISO, then now instead of recording using only 35% of the available data you will be using almost 85%
Well, I just copied and pasted part of an article on LOG footage, generally speaking. It is not Phantom related. In my personal experience, D-LOG only works under very well lightning conditions. Otherwise, NONE wins as this little camera does not have enough dynamic range to manage flat videos.
P.S.: REC 709 is equivalent to NONE

Last edited:
A photo.
DJI_0032.jpg

And a video shot using NONE -1,0,0. Again, atrocious quality!

And a video shot using NONE -1,0,0. Again, atrocious quality!

agree. You should get better footage. Are u downloading into your computer directly from the SD card?

agree. You should get better footage. Are u downloading into your computer directly from the SD card?
Yes I am..it's terrible right? What is the likely issue here? I doubt it's in warranty now as I bought it in March.

Yes I am..it's terrible right? What is the likely issue here? I doubt it's in warranty now as I bought it in March.
One last question, tell me the settings in the camera menu.

One last question, tell me the settings in the camera menu.
The video above was shot coplour profile NONE and -1,0,0 on sharpness, contrast and sat. Recorded at 2.7k 24fps (down resd to 1080p).

The video above was shot coplour profile NONE and -1,0,0 on sharpness, contrast and sat. Recorded at 2.7k 24fps (down resd to 1080p).
Well. Something is wrong. Time to use your warranty

As suspected. Bought in March - think it is still covered?
I think it is 6 months...but fight for it...specially if you did not do anything wrong. My experience with DJI is good but slow. I mean, they have repaired free all I ' ve asked for, specially related to camera. However, it takes several weeks to get your machine back,

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie