Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Log Cabin Video

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by DesertFlyer53, Aug 31, 2014.

1. DesertFlyer53

So... this is the first video I've done since updating from the Zenmuse H3-2D to the H3-3D. The subject was a friends log cabin up in the local Sierra Mountains. I think it turned out ok but... I must be aware of where the Phantom 2's shadow is at all times! Lesson learned. Comments on the video are welcome.

[vimeo]104834580[/vimeo]

2. DesertFlyer53

Bump. No comments?

3. sanderx

Your video is not available it says.....

4. DesertFlyer53

It's embedded in my first post. Just checked it again and it works fine from my end. Hmmm...

5. 750r

On my iPhone their is no video . I'll look on laptop tonight

6. DesertFlyer53

7. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The embedded link you originally posted works for me.

8. DesertFlyer53

Thanks.

9. q8f1

Nice video, beautiful place. How do you find the H3-3D as opposed to the H3-2D? And video settings on the GoPro?

Thx for sharing, cheers Mark

10. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Good cadence and nice smooth camera speed. There are some good shots there especially the ones that are continuous and without adjustments. It's a personal style but I think the best shots look like there's no one at the controls, as if it is on autopilot and is continuously and fluidly rotating, tilting, etc.

Amazing backdrop. Some long establishing shots tilting up to reveal the property and then the mountains in the background would be really cool. I bet there's some killer sunrises/sunsets there.

11. Khudson7

Khudson7 Guest

Very smooth videography, beautiful scenery, well done! Nice music choice too. I too, am considering upgrading to H3-3d. Your yaw turns seem very very smooth.

12. DesertFlyer53

I found the H3-3D to be MUCH better than the H3-2D. No more yaw wiggle! I love it. In the past I would have to do a fair amount of post production stabilization. I didn't have to do that at all on this video. :)

I use 1080 at 30fps with the medium FOV pretty much exclusively for all my video's. Protune on with auto WB, flat color and medium sharpening. Post workflow was GoPro studio first for Protune adjustments of color, contrast and sharpening, then opening those adjusted files in FCPX for editing.

13. DesertFlyer53

All good points ianwood. I'm still fine tuning the rates and expo on the T8FGS looking for the smoothest yaw motion possible. Right now on the yaw channel, switch down, I'm at 50% on the rate and 60% expo and I feel I can still crank those up more!

My only issue with this video, like I said in my first post, was the P2's shadow showing up in some of the shots. I need to be more aware of that in the future and try to avoid it.

14. DesertFlyer53

Thank you. The H3-3D has been a big improvement. :)

15. Bluegrass

I enjoyed watching your video. You have mastered flying your Phantom. Did you edit slow mo into the opening sequence, flying through the gate. I to thought the vide was very fluid. The backdrop of a million dollar ranch didn't hurt it any.

16. DesertFlyer53

Thank you. No slow motion. It was all at normal speed.

17. iversens

Very nice. I especially like the clip with your friend walking to the porch and sitting down while ignoring the swarm of bees bearing down on him. It almost looks cinematic with people moving through the shot while ignoring the camera.

I also liked the exit shot with the American flag waving in the breeze. Good choice.

18. DesertFlyer53

For a little backstory info... I met this log cabin owner (that's him in the video walking up to, and sitting on his porch) through my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Inyokernphoto?ref=hl. I met him in person the day of the video shoot. Nice guy. He was so impressed with my work that he vowed to let all of his neighbors know of me. Hopefully more work will follow as a result. :)

19. q8f1

"I found the H3-3D to be MUCH better than the H3-2D. No more yaw wiggle! I love it. In the past I would have to do a fair amount of post production stabilization. I didn't have to do that at all on this video. :)"

***** Thanks that appears to be the opinion of many, only done the P2/GoPro/filming thing for 2mths now, never done anything like it before, it's a steep learning curve but I love it. :)

"I use 1080 at 30fps with the medium FOV pretty much exclusively for all my video's. Protune on with auto WB, flat color and medium sharpening. Post workflow was GoPro studio first for Protune adjustments of color, contrast and sharpening, then opening those adjusted files in FCPX for editing."

Many thanks again, would you use 2.7k/25fps and crop to 1080? I'm in the EU we don't have 1080/30fps, so 1080@24/25/48/50fps? I use GoPro studio on windows, all new to me, my videos aren't too bad, they will get better, haven't really played with protune yet.

Thanks again, safe flying and thx for sharing. Mark

20. DesertFlyer53

I have yet to use 2.7k mainly because I don't think my computer could handle it. One of these days soon I'm going to test it out. What's the best way to crop from 2.7 to 1080? I use GoPro Studio and Final Cut Pro X on an iMac.