Loctite on prop nuts?

Reaction score
Well, yesterday, I received my new carbon blades, which by the way, have the correct fitting for the motor shaft.
I took the bird up and everything went well on the first flight. On the second flight, one of the prop nuts came off. I could hear it hit the prop, found the blade, but could not find the nut (imagine that!)

Any way, I ordered some more nuts, but am wondering if I should put a little drop of Locktite, the light kind, on the shaft?

By the way, today, I received an email ad from Dronefly about the new, self locking nuts. A day late and a dollar short.

Thanks, guys
Chuck

Best to just get nylock nuts and you dont need to worry about them spinning themselves loose ever again.

Liquid Loctite will melt the plastic parts!
If needed, use the tape one like below:

P1240760Custom_zps7b0307a3.jpg

P1240752Custom_zps007b048d.jpg

P1240753Custom_zps2105f12b.jpg

there's nothing wrong with using loctite,
just be extra, extra, extra sure to keep it away from any plastic (including the props).I would screw the nuts on upsside downs.
if used carefully and cautiously, it's certainly better than not having it at all.

But always make sure the nuts are on tight prior to going out and flying and in between flights (every 3 or 4) if you have time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyloc_nut

Why mess around with loctite when using these cheap and easily accesible nuts at any hardware store. If using liquid loctite around plastic it will destroy the plastic and cause it to fail, this is the same with plastic props or the phantoms shell. Though in the case of the op using it with carbon proos on the motors this shouldn't be an issue but using a locking nut is cleaner and easier. Taking off a prop with loctite may release some of the dried up loctite into the motor windings too.

L1120288Small_zpsee4b8a59.jpg

Here are some of mine. My favorite is the one to the right next to the last which is titanium low profile with nylon insert.

jumanoc said:
Dont mess with loctite, may be you'll need to unlock nuts and that will be a PITA with loctite, even some guys had broken props trying to unlock them.

I suggest to uses nylock nuts (short: it is a nut with an internal nylon base ring that ensures tight adjustment).

Here some I use from Pro-Bolt USA:
http://www.probolt-usa.com/aluminium-nylon-nuts-m6-pack-x-10-black.html#.Uk2JG4ZWyM4

nyn6-10bk.jpg

I can't seem to find the left-hand thread version of these. Don't we need some of both?

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers