Locked props & not shutting down right away

Reaction score
Questions about stopping prop rotation. When practicing and flying slowly & low, I fell and the props were caught and locked from rotating, I pulled the left stick all the way down to stop the motors right away. I understand that it should take about 3 secs to shut down. Today, however, one of the motors stopped and the others kept going. I even pressed the battery button twice to shut it down and finally pulled the battery to stop the rotation. I restarted the Phantom 3P and one of the motors did not rotate. It was free wheeling. I finally shut P3 down and restated it again and finally everything seems to be normal. The motors heated up and you could smell them. Can anyone tell me is this normal? What is going on in the circuit? The crash was not bad at all since the Phantom was going slow (about 1 mph) and at about 2 ft in the air. But the motors not shutting down, the high temperature and smell and the one not starting up again right away was a frightening experience.

Holding the left stick down ONLY works if the Phantom is safely landed on the ground. In an emergency situation, to stop motors, you want to do a CSC (Combination Stick Command):
startmotors.png

Its not clear from your description but im guessing the phantom was inverted when you had the left stick down with three props managing to turn and one locked.

The locked motor probably did not start on the first power up as the ESC had been overheated and needed time to cool down

As detailed abive you need to perform a CSC in theae situations.

Does it fly?

What caused the crash?

Its not clear from your description but im guessing the phantom was inverted when you had the left stick down with three props managing to turn and one locked.

The locked motor probably did not start on the first power up as the ESC had been overheated and needed time to cool down

As detailed abive you need to perform a CSC in theae situations.

Does it fly?

What caused the crash?

You hit it exactly. It was inverted. I was running through gates I had made to practice my piloting and hit one of the uprights of the gate and it flipped. I now realize I need to use the CSC command. In reading the instruction manual, I must have missed that the CSC can also be used to shut the motors down. The gates have foam protection on them and the horizontal is only 4 ft high, so I am not too concerned that I will break something or crack a prop.

I am using a cheap Syma X5C-1 for aggressive training (less than $50 if I ruin it). The little thing is nearly indestructible if you fly it over grass and shut down the props as soon as you get into trouble. The control sticks are very close to the pattern of the Phantom, so I think it will help my muscle memory when I get into trouble and my knee jerk reaction may not be the best approach.

Last edited:
When I flipped my P3A it did the same thing... The motors had a smell too... But they were fine. They just got hot

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You hit it exactly. It was inverted. I was running through gates I had made to practice my piloting and hit one of the uprights of the gate and it flipped. I now realize I need to use the CSC command. In reading the instruction manual, I must have missed that the CSC can also be used to shut the motors down. The gates have foam protection on them and the horizontal is only 4 ft high, so I am not too concerned that I will break something or crack a prop.

I am using a cheap Syma X5C-1 for aggressive training (less than $50 if I ruin it). The little thing is nearly indestructible if you fly it over grass and shut down the props as soon as you get into trouble. The control sticks are very close to the pattern of the Phantom, so I think it will help my muscle memory when I get into trouble and my knee jerk reaction may not be the best approach.
I also used a syma for awhile before getting the phantom. I think it helped a lot. But unfortunately my phantom came from the factory with the controls set up exactly backwards from the syma. I flew it for two months that way, until I found out you could change them around. They are still backwards, since I've gotten used to them, and somebody on here said something about not very many people being able to fly my phantom, so if anybody says can I fly it, I guess I have the perfect excuse...LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan