Locked experienced members section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
phantom_medic said:
the decline.

when the uber experienced don't want to help what they think is a idiot post.

Posting a question does not entitle you to a reply.

Stupid idea. Even new fliers have something to contribute.

If all the subscribers to this 'locked' section were all equally experienced- what would the talk about? :roll:

Fact is- this is an internet forum- sifting through the rubbish is inherent.

I'd be disqualified by name alone :) You'd miss out on 35 yrs of IT knowledge on both PC's and Mac's, and many years of video and photo editing. Since my purchase of this camera platform, I've gained a vast amount of knowledge pertaining to this technology as well. Thanks to my many stupid questions :)

Cool Adam set it up already. Why am I the only one there? :lol: Just kidding

Not too keen on this idea but I do wish people would try and help themselves a bit more before starting a new thread. I don't mind pointing people in the right direction but I am not going to spoon feed people too lazy to read the manual or do a basic google search first.

Example:-
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16970
Drives me nuts lol

xgeek said:

Not too keen on this idea but I do wish people would try and help themselves a bit more before starting a new thread. I don't mind pointing people in the right direction but I am not going to spoon feed people too lazy to read the manual or do a basic google search first.

Drives me nuts lol
I've never looked at that section of the forum. What on earth is going on there :eek:

xgeek said:

Drives me nuts lol

I agree with xgeek. The noob asked: "anyone using a iPad for the vision app/controls. (is there even a iPad vers?)"

I think a number of you are assuming the experienced will stop helping the inexperienced. I don't think that will be the case if such a filter exist. And for the record, lockout was never something I endorsed. If you search my posts, you will see a mix of reaching out to help/inform noobs, and seeking counsel of the Obiwan's out there. I think that's general human nature by many on the forum. Noobs coming up the learning curve can (and do) help other noobs. But some times we just get tired of the low hit rate on quality new topics. Having to scan through 20 topics, 19 of which are same old same old, looking for something new and interesting. Perhaps simply a topic rating system that has nothing to do with any one person. Would that raise less hackles amongst you? Looking for the same efficiency, NOT elitism, that I get when shopping on Amazon or the Google Apps store. Linear scrolling through everything that comes to anyone's mind is not the answer.

Kelly

Okay... I'm a little confused about this. How does one obtain membership? Who maintains the section? How do you prove you're an experienced member?

If someone has thought this through thoroughly, I'd love to hear the answers, as I can somewhat appreciate the sentiment behind this... :)

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Okay... I'm a little confused about this. How does one obtain membership? Who maintains the section? How do you prove you're an experienced member?

If someone has thought this through thoroughly, I'd love to hear the answers, as I can somewhat appreciate the sentiment behind this... :)

-slinger

Ozzyguy started this topic. I don't mean to hijack it, but my recommendation is a topic rating or post rating option, and a mechanism that would let ANYONE sort and/or filter what they see by quality of rating. No membership, no qualification or inner circle, nothing personal about who you are, how long you have been on the forum, and how many posts you have submitted. Simply a facility for anyone/everyone to rate a post/topic, and then utilize (or not) that collective group opinion as you see fit. Very similar to Amazon shopping facility where I may only want to see products rated above a certain threshold.

Linear/random search through everything out there is an algorithm practiced by dinosaurs millennia ago. There is a better way.

Kelly

I think some of you are being a little hard on the members asking this question. I think their motivations are sincere in that they just want a place to hang out and speak with their peers. That said, I don't know how you foster inclusiveness by exclusion. Perhaps a "members only" forum that one of the more experienced members could set up?

Setting something like that up here in a thread would be in bad taste, but there's always private messages.

Suggest an alternative: Set up a beginner's section.
Make sure it is easy to find and beginners can ask any question.
The first flight requires a lot of background information and steps.
  • Helpful knowledge on which bird to buy.
    New vs used. How to use PM to contact seller. Many including me thought PM didn't go through.
    Tips on buying: Finding DJI Dealers. Why is it better to buy from a dealer vs DJI.
    Videos / manuals to read while awaiting shipment.
    Video: Assemble bird - which propellers go on each type of motor.
    Video: Download and install software, firmware (propellors off).
    Video: Setting up Naza assistant - calibration, S1 (manual or Failsafe), check, suggested choices...
    Video: DJI Introducing the LED Indicator of Phantom
    Video: First flight: pre-flight checklist - transmitter on first, switches up, battery connected -
    Video: When ready (2-4 flights): ATTI mode
    Video: IOC - Course Lock and Home Lock
    Video: DJI Phantom - "25 Tips and Mods" for your Multi Rotor, Quad Copter, Drone!

The general area would then be free for other topics beyond Phantom 1,2 basics.

Great list. I would add a tutorial on how to google search the forum archives, and an overview of the general categories of topics. Where to look when you have a question not obvious from the first flight course work.

Kelly

If the big wigs, pros, veterans, don't want to be bothered with noobs asking questions and want a private chat area... then use email or your cell phone and have at it.

Look at all the fun we would miss Screwing with some of these ridiculous questions!
I don't mind helping anyone , but for gods sake read the manual , or do a google search. Plenty of information out there.

I've noticed at least one member on the 'elite list' make an ill educated guess and I suspect a few inexperienced members have contributed valid points due to bringing their own expertise that crosses over with UAV flying...

All you will achieve (IMHO) with an 'experienced members section' is a talking shop for the select few and a forum of the blind leading the blind for the rest, resulting in people going elsewhere for their advice.

I've been flying quads since 1925 as well as the Internet do I qualify? Pay no attention to my join date as the board got it wrong.

And my time is worth $10/min

lvzx14 said:
I've been flying quads since 1925 as well as the Internet do I qualify? Pay no attention to my join date as the board got it wrong.

And my time is worth $10/min

Didn't they have stone props in 25?

Even though I wouldn't qualify for the private part of this forum I do think it's a good idea, we have it in our racing club.

We do come down from high to help others that need it so nothing has actually changed, all you need is Ozguy to start it and allow him to invite with a password, this is no biggy really. It does work and you do infact get friendships out of it, I went to Oz 5 years ago and visited over 40 guys all around the country, it really does foster relationships and nothing wrong in that.

No one would know it was going on so no one feeling left out...it is fun in the end

FLGulf said:
Suggest an alternative: Set up a beginner's section.
Make sure it is easy to find and beginners can ask any question.
The first flight requires a lot of background information and steps.
  • Helpful knowledge on which bird to buy.
    New vs used. How to use PM to contact seller. Many including me thought PM didn't go through.
    Tips on buying: Finding DJI Dealers. Why is it better to buy from a dealer vs DJI.
    Videos / manuals to read while awaiting shipment.
    Video: Assemble bird - which propellers go on each type of motor.
    Video: Download and install software, firmware (propellors off).
    Video: Setting up Naza assistant - calibration, S1 (manual or Failsafe), check, suggested choices...
    Video: DJI Introducing the LED Indicator of Phantom
    Video: First flight: pre-flight checklist - transmitter on first, switches up, battery connected -
    Video: When ready (2-4 flights): ATTI mode
    Video: IOC - Course Lock and Home Lock
    Video: DJI Phantom - "25 Tips and Mods" for your Multi Rotor, Quad Copter, Drone!

The general area would then be free for other topics beyond Phantom 1,2 basics.

We have talked about this type of scenario a time or two and, IMHO, it makes a lot more sense than the topic of this thread and is very much easier to maintain...

-slinger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20