Locked experienced members section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ive PM'd Adam about the need for a locked experienced members section. I'm worried some of the more experienced members will leave if they don't have a place where they can have a serious conversation free of the Idiotic remarks that some of the community are fond of.

Everyone that has flown is experienced....may not be good though at flying. I believe this is an open forum for all. What exactly
makes a person worthy of this locked thing you speak of? Who will be the judge of that.

I would be a big fan of some means of avoiding a lot of the unproductive noise out there, and yet still giving noobs a safe place to ask noob questions, and get help from whomever has the time to do so. It's a complex algorithm for determining what's a quality topic overall, and a quality post within that topic. Perhaps the forum could provide an optional filter that anyone could utilize that filters out posts from new members with low post counts that haven't spent a fair amount of time searching the archives before asking noob questions, unless that user or his/her post is "sponsored up" by a forum veteran who has earned their stripes. I think the thing most of the veterans roll their eyes at is having to page through the new posts of repetitive noob questions to find meaningful content from guys like The Editor, Ianwood, ElGuano, LadyKate, et. al. Occasionally I go to the home pages of those vets and hit the "search my posts" button, and just scroll chronologically through their recent posts to see if there are new topics they're active in that I am not aware of. Another useful feature would be a "topic quality index", some measure of participation by forum veterans, that would percolate those threads to the top of New Posts.

Kelly

Ozzyguy, I'm unfamiliar with such an arrangement, do you have a link to a another discussion group or forum similar to what you are suggesting. Thanks.

Oooo, Ooo.,... Pick me, pick me!
Great idea... who decides who is as experienced as you?

What I described would be open to everyone. It's just a semi-intelligent filter that says until you've posted a few times, searched a bunch, and been recognized by someone who has been around a while, your posts will not be as highly regarded as those of some proven vets. No one has to use the "noise filter", and anyone can use it. Another variant/supplement is a manual rating system, so I would give some of Ian Wood's Futuba and compass posts five stars, similarly some of The Editor's hexacopter posts. If several veterans like a post, that's a good sign it's worth a few minutes of your time. If few or no veterans give it thumbs up, it's less likely to make it past the noise filter. And again, anyone could enable or disable the filter anytime, and see the range of posts that work for their schedule and interest level.

Kelly

My initial thought was members over a certain post count to be decided by Adam. Its his site to decide not mine.

wkf94025 said:
I would be a big fan of some means of avoiding a lot of the unproductive noise out there, and yet still giving noobs a safe place to ask noob questions, and get help from whomever has the time to do so. It's a complex algorithm for determining what's a quality topic overall, and a quality post within that topic. Perhaps the forum could provide an optional filter that anyone could utilize that filters out posts from new members with low post counts that haven't spent a fair amount of time searching the archives before asking noob questions, unless that user or his/her post is "sponsored up" by a forum veteran who has earned their stripes. I think the thing most of the veterans roll their eyes at is having to page through the new posts of repetitive noob questions to find meaningful content from guys like The Editor, Ianwood, ElGuano, LadyKate, et. al. Occasionally I go to the home pages of those vets and hit the "search my posts" button, and just scroll chronologically through their recent posts to see if there are new topics they're active in that I am not aware of. Another useful feature would be a "topic quality index", some measure of participation by forum veterans, that would percolate those threads to the top of New Posts.

Kelly

Good bad idea!, or rather bad good idea... Yes it would be great to see the forum purged from the stupid questions, uneducated guesses, people not reading real good answers and adding rubbish like if they were knowing what they're talking about...
Take me for exemple, 20 posts at the counter, new to RC, plenty of questions, lots of interrogations, and trying to find my way. So you were inclined to filter me don't you? However, since the multi-rotors are designed for film and photo, (what else?) I happen to be an expert in this domain and you would be really happy to have me on board to help you with your naive questions about photo, video, editing etc... Also, I see the word "veterans" 3 times in that post! Excuse me, veterans of what? since this is Phantompilots.com, how one can call himself a veteran on a phantom that has been released for the first time only 18 months ago?
Anyway, I understand what you mean, and the disappointment you can get reading some posts. I got the same feeling sometimes.
So I propose an area reserved to the UAV certified pilots and the ones committed to take the exam... This should help to higher the level of the informations.
Cheers.

sergekouper said:
Good bad idea!, or rather bad good idea... Yes it would be great to see the forum purged from the stupid questions, uneducated guesses, people not reading real good answers and adding rubbish like if they were knowing what they're talking about...
Take me for exemple, 20 posts at the counter, new to RC, plenty of questions, lots of interrogations, and trying to find my way. So you were inclined to filter me don't you? However, since the multi-rotors are designed for film and photo, (what else?) I happen to be an expert in this domain and you would be really happy to have me on board to help you with your naive questions about photo, video, editing etc... Also, I see the word "veterans" 3 times in that post! Excuse me, veterans of what? since this is Phantompilots.com, how one can call himself a veteran on a phantom that has been released for the first time only 18 months ago?
Anyway, I understand what you mean, and the disappointment you can get reading some posts. I got the same feeling sometimes.
So I propose an area reserved to the UAV certified pilots and the ones committed to take the exam... This should help to higher the level of the informations.
Cheers.

Serge,

Couple clarifications on my suggestion: (1) I am not suggesting any post get "purged", or any user blocked. Just let each user at any moment dial up or down the filter that will attempt to find the best, most informative content, and cull out the repetitive noob questions, if that's what that user wants that moment. (2) I looked through your posts. Your water recover write up is a great example of a thorough post by someone relatively new to the forum that an experienced member could say "thumbs up rookie, nice write-up", and it would be more likely to get past filtering and be recognized as quality content, and not judged solely on your post count as of that day. (3) On the other hand your inquiry about the Futaba return spring is covered often in the archives, and is a good example where research can obviate the need for repetitive posts. I've read many inquiries about that centering spring issue, which I researched for my 14SG, and then emailed Hobbico, and got my kit. (4) I totally agree with you that someone who may not have deep RC experience (I do not) may have other knowledge/expertise that the community finds helpful. You might know a lot more than me about when to use an ND filter versus a CP filter, and I would like to benefit from your knowledge about that, regardless of how new you are to the forum or RC. My point being that blindly filtering based on post count is not a good idea. (5) What I am suggesting is very little different that how I use Amazon or the Google Play store for Android apps: I filter for the vendors/products with LOTS of positive ratings about their product. I trust crowd-sourcing, provided the sample size is sufficient to zero out gaming of the system. That's all. No offense intended to anyone learning, or anyone asking questions of little value to those who have been around a while. Also, in my observation, plenty of veterans (there's that dirty word again!) seem willing to help answer repetitive noob questions. Bottom line, I'm looking for efficiency, not elitism.

Kelly

Kelly, thanks for your post, I totally agree with you. :) More efficiency would be great!

Ozz,
Mind sharing what makes one a veteran of this BB? I've been on the net since 92, I've worked for companies as a board monitor. Does that make me a veteran?
I could post multiple inane posts here to push an artificial number that you or someone else deems "acceptable". I could spout off that I have plenty of experiencing flying RC's. Is there some way for you or whomever to verify that?

What you will do though is drive others away as there are other BB's out there for quads & other asst flying/driving/swimming gear, this place is not alone anymore. I very could easily start my own BB dedicated to DJI's quads & no one could stop me. Would I? Nope, I like it here too much.

I would guess Ozz that you were never new to quads, you were never the one asking the stupid inane questions we ask, you never had a fault or crash in your whole life. :roll:

Yah, sorry, I get worked up over garbage like this, I hate it when someone arbitrarily slaps a number on something. And yes, I used to geocache too, stopped it when some local idiot told me I didn't know what I was talking about when he placed a cache on a local highway that has laws against stopping on them unless for emergencies because he had over 500 hides & over 2000 finds & I was just starting to post finds but had been using gps systems since the early 90's.

Guess I'll go take my law abiding rear elsewhere to play with my quad, ask stupid questions (in anothers view), & be willing to answer those stupid questions other ask if I can. :?

edited to correct driving to drive.

The purpose of these public forums is to allow people to ask questions, stupid or not. If you want exclusivity start your own forum. If the forum does not suit your purposes go find another there are plenty about.

Simon Manners said:
The purpose of these public forums is to allow people to ask questions, stupid or not. If you want exclusivity start your own forum. If the forum does not suit your purposes go find another there are plenty about.

Sorry to say I agree here. Why get so worked up over inane questions? I simply don't understand the mindset of some of you guys...this is a hobby for most, it's supposed to be fun.

If you want to filter out rubbish, start your own forum. Then you can choose those you deem to be 'veteran' and the problem goes away.

I've not mentioned the word veteran once. I can understand why a few of you are getting so worked up.
No one would expect new members to go it on their own by any means.
And its not about compartmentalising all the experience on this site so that new members don't have access to it.

Me being totally new to quads i will have questions...and being very experienced in other things (nothing to do with quads at all) I have knowledge in other areas. That I am more than willing to share with others that need help. I find this post more telling than anything. To me it says "you have forgotten where you came from and how it felt starting out" or as my grandpa would have said "you got to big for your own britches". You forget the feeling of having invested a fair amount of money and time into a hobby and then having this hobby have issues. You search for a solution and either find nothing or find mixed results (because we all know the internet only holds truth....lies and BS just don't ever stay on the internet). So to try to "vet" your findings you turn to a group of people that have experience and you ask/present your question to them hoping they will shed some light on a direction for you go to solve your issue. I guess you don't remember the feeling of not having all the answers?? I guess you don't remember the feeling of having exhausting all your knowledge and coming up empty?? I guess you don't remember the good feeling of having someone confirm something your are questioning?? All your "rating" system will do is cause experienced flyers to pass over the "noob" questions and alienate them even more. On other forums I am a member of I am VERY experienced and looked up to as a veteran and I ALWAYS TRY to look at the "noob" questions and at least reply with a "yes that's right" or "No, Check this link out for your answer". Skipping over a thread that has been answered many times does not help the hobby. It will only drive it into the dirt by killing any new start up people from wanting to be involved with "quad snobs".

Ozzyguy said:
Ive PM'd Adam about the need for a locked experienced members section. I'm worried some of the more experienced members will leave if they don't have a place where they can have a serious conversation free of the Idiotic remarks that some of the community are fond of.

I know why that would be good. Threads get side tracked by the less experienced among us. I don't think it's elitist, just an attempt at ON TOPIC discussion. I'm a noob, and as such, wouldn't have as much experience to bring value to some of the discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl