Location on tablets.

Reaction score
Is it necessary to have the "location" function "on" tablet while using when flying your P3?
I'm asking this, because it seems to help the ability to zoom in on map. With "location" off I'm not able to zoom in. Anyone else having a issue?

Reactions: jointeffort
Better to have it turned on. It's used to measure how far the bird is from the operator, among others.

Apart from using a little bit more power on the tablet, it does not use your data plan. However, the feature must be turned on if you use Follow Me or have Dynamic Homepoint (Litchi app) enabled. In both scenarios, the Phantom 3 uses the tablet's position to do its work.

Reactions: jointeffort
I should mention that my tablet is wifi only. I have read that tablets should have built in gps. I'm using a galaxy tab 4, 7 inch with gps as my designated device for my drone.

I should mention that my tablet is wifi only. I have read that tablets should have built in gps. I'm using a galaxy tab 4, 7 inch with gps as my designated device for my drone.
Gps is on most tablets, even if they are wifi only. I've flown with my air 2 Wi-Fi with no trouble

Are you sure? I'm under the impression that WiFi-only versions of iPads does not have a GPS receiver. Sure you can use it to fly the aircraft but tablet location will be quirky at best, as it relies on surrounding WiFi for an approximate positioning. That means features that requires accurate tablet position might not work.

Are you sure? I'm under the impression that WiFi-only versions of iPads does not have a GPS receiver. Sure you can use it to fly the aircraft but tablet location will be quirky at best, as it relies on surrounding WiFi for an approximate positioning. That means features that requires accurate tablet position might not work.
My iPad air 2 has a location setting that uses GPS and finds me without network.

My iPad air 2 has a location setting that uses GPS and finds me without network.
Then what you have is the WiFi+Cellular version (A1567). This the Air 2 model with a built-in GPS receiver. Location features work even if you don't have a data plan or a sim card.

But on the WiFi-only version (A1566), it does not have a GPS receiver and it can only calculate its relative position using WiFi (less accurate).

Then what you have is the WiFi+Cellular version (A1567). This the Air 2 model with a built-in GPS receiver. Location features work even if you don't have a data plan or a sim card.

But on the WiFi-only version (A1566), it does not have a GPS receiver and it can only calculate its relative position using WiFi (less accurate).
Not cellular, just wifi. But I don't think this banter is helping anyone

Not cellular, just wifi. But I don't think this banter is helping anyone
Actually it does. I have a WiFi-only iPad Air that uses WiFi to get its location. It's dangerous, at the least, to use it in Follow-Me mode as the tablets position fix keeps jumping around. Without a GPS module, it cannot provide a granular location fix. That said, it is my opinion that if you intend to use an iOS device, it would be best to use a WiFi+Cellular model, just for the benefit of having a built-in GPS receiver.

Android devices belong to a different bag as most will have the GPS hardware. Only the cheapest ones would not. Then again, it's not a good idea to run Go, Autopilot or Litchi on the low-end models anyway.

I use a kindle fire which I'm sure doesn't have gps, and it works fine and is at the bottom of the cost scale. But, if I plan to do poi, waypoint, or attempting follow me(which I'm trying tomorrow if it doesn't rain) I always have my phone, and switch to it to do those. Its really no trouble at all. It comes in handy if my battery on either one craps out. I've only had a smart phone for about a year, and I still haven't gotten used to the battery draining so flippin fast. My last phone could go for 4 to 5 days without a charge, now if I'm home, it's plugged in.

657d5060250434e79c8b7f9a1884aac5.jpg

I think this might help clear up what iPad has what. This is off the autopilot website. You can always check to see what model has GPS on Apple website or a site like Gsmarena.com

Apple iPad Air 2 - Full phone specifications

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik