Locating lost quadcopter using iOSD azimuth data

Reaction score
Waiting for my iOSD mini to show up and I was reading up on it. I noticed that in the latest firmware they've added the azimuth info as well. I think this is HUGE. Assuming you've still got video when your quadcopter crashes or flies away, if you're able to remember the distance and azimuth numbers, you should be able to locate your quadcopter within a radius of a few meters (give or take).

I've found a few different iPhone apps that let you mark your current (home) position and then you can move a marker and pin a location on a Google map based on the distance and the azimuth.

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, but I haven't read anyone discussing this before. Seems to me that this would be another helpful tool in locating a lost quadcopter. Just thought I'd throw it out there...

Would probably be better if you were recording your fpv view, but for most i doubt they will be able to remember the numbers, and usually in a crash situation where you would need to use it the video feed is the first thing you lose (due to being a large distance away and not being high anymore).

EDIT: Also, would be much easier if they just included the current LAT / LONG on the OSD too.

I hear ya davemcm. Recording the osd output would be ideal. Remembering/looking at the distance & azimuth data during a crash would be tough - as I'm sure you'd want to be looking for visual aids as it's going down to help find it. And finally, yes, I've read that the video feed would probably be the first thing you'd lose. All great points. I just thought it was cool. haha

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj