Live Streaming NOW!

It is on the app store, if you search for it, but if you send me an email at bbarris - at - skytubelive.com I will send you the full info sheet about how to download, install, and use it. Plus that way we can keep track of who is using it, with which drone, device, etc. (another fun component of Android development, of course, is trying to get things to work on the full zoo of devices, code releases, etc., out in the wild, which is probably why DJI doesn't support it so well as iOS).

Reactions: DougAles
Right now you can stream to our site, to a page that would look like this:
SkyTubeLive Flight

Brian, are you a app developer?

If so, it seems clear what people want.

People want to live-stream #1) from their DJI drone #2) thru a android operating system smartphone #3) to Facebook.

Come up with that and you should have a hit.

Currently, this works with the DJO GO app through an iPhone or iPad with cellular connection.

I don't see a path to success with anything other than this 1+2+3 combination. Take away any of these three and the value proposition is tarnished.

YouTube livesream is just not the same as Facebook Livestreram. Facebook casts a broad notification net to livestreams. An audience just builds on Facbook. Anywhere but Facebook is like the tree falling in the woods when no one is their to hear it. ... and I'm saying this as a YouTube content creator.

Brian, are you a app developer?.

Yes, absolutely, we have our own app functioning and available for beta users. It works flawlessly for us. The reason we are calling it a beta release is that android releases and devices are so diverse that we need to get a sense for what problems users may experience out in the wild, on their own devices.

We have our own platform to stream to, for a few reasons. First was of course for testing, but we do think that a map-based interface is the ideal way for users to interact with aerial videos since location, location, location is a huge factor. I also do think that having videos publicly available rather than on your own personal facebook page has other major advantages since it will eliminate any (most?) concern that a drone pilot is streaming video to some private location, since there are so many (overblown, in my opinion) privacy concerns out there.

We'll have to look at and think about other streaming options, we welcome any feedback and comments like yours, so thank you very much!

Happy Flying!

Brian
www.skytubelive.com
www.instagram.com/skytubelive

Thank you Brian.

I'm not doing a good job explaining WHY everyone....some people,.....well....for sure me, is only interested in Livestreaming to Facebook and no place else.

Unknown person "Why do you rob banks Willie?"
Infamous bank robber Willie Sutton "Because that's where the money is."

Why do I want to Livestream on Facebook and only Facebook? Because everyone and their mother is on Facebook 100 hours a day.

If you are smart enought to make your livestreams public and understand basic optimization methods, not a SEO Guru, just the basics, a Livesteram drone video can generate hundreds or even a thousand views on Facebook and thats if you are a nobody like me.

This simple Facebook livestream drone video of mine took me 20 minuets, no editing and got just shy of 1,000 views.

Check it out, its rather lame.

Facebook is helping livestream content creators for the time being because they want to take a bigger bite out of YouTubes business.

As a comparison, this complex to me YouTube video which includes drone content took me about 20 hours to edit, and another 20 hours to share and promote on various social media sites. Its currently just under 2,000 views. I could share my creator statistics offline with you but in breif, about 45% of the views came through Facebook and another 25% came through YouTube followed by another 15% from TripAdvisor. Somewhere around 3% came from Phahtompilots. Think about that for a moment, will you? More people viewed my YouTube video because I shared it on Facebook then found it on YouTube. After you subtract Facebook and Youtube, there is not enough views remaining to give two fiddles about.

Check it out, its rather good in my opinion.

Summary
Facebook = 20 minuets, mostly spent flying and having fun = 1,000 views
Youtube = 40 hours, far more complex effort editing, promoting = 2,000 views
Effort per eyeball, Facebook Livestreaming is just where its at.

But what if we take away Facebook AND YouTube?

If I were to go to a 3rd party video site for my video hosting my view count would drop like a turd from a cow in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

So, the goal is not LiveStreaming anywhere. The goal is LiveStreaming to Facebook because that is where the people are. With basic skills, Facebook will get you an audience during your Livestream broadcast. The DJI GO app already has Facebook Live-streaming from iPhones. So Andriod is the area with the need.

Make an app that lets you
1) Livestream from a DJI drone
2) Through a Andriod smartphone.
3) To Facebook

Build it, put it for sale, then take my $

Last edited:
Thank you Brian.

I'm not doing a good job explaining WHY everyone....some people,.....well....for sure me, is only interested in Livestreaming to Facebook and no place else.

Unknown person "Why do you rob banks Willie?"

Infamous bank robber Willie Sutton "Because that's where the money is."

Why do I want to Livestream on Facebook? Because everyone and their mother is on Facebook 100 hours a day. If you are smart enought to make your livestreams public and understand basic optimization methods, not a SEO Guru, just the basics, a Livesteram drone video can generate hundreds or even a thousand views on Facebook and thats if your a nobody like me.

This simple Facebook livestream drone video of mine took me 20 minuets, no editing and got just shy of 1,000 views. Check it out, its rather lame.

Facebook is helping livestream content creators for the time being because they want to take a bigger bite out of YouTubes business.

As a comparison, this complex to me YouTube video took me about 20 hours to edit, and another 20 hours to share and promote on various social media sites and is currently just under 2,000 views. I could share my creator statistics offline with you but in breif, about 45% of the views came through facebook and another 25% came through Youtube followed by another 15% from TripAdvisor. Somewhere around 3% came from Phahtompilots.

Check it out, its rather good in my opinion.

Summary
Facebook = 20 minuets, mostly spent flying and having fun = 1,000 views
Youtube = 40 hours, far more complex effort editing, promoting = 2,000 views
Effort per eyeball, Facebook Livestreaming is just where its at.

If I were to go to a 3rd party video site for my video hosting my view count would drop like a turd from a cow in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

So, the goal is not LiveStreaming anywhere. The goal is LiveStreaming to Facebook because that is where the people are. With basic skills, Facebook will get you an audience during your Livestream broadcast. The DJI GO app already has Facebook Live-streaming from iPhones. So Andriod is the area with the need.

Make an app that lets you
1) Livestream from a DJI drone
2) From a Andriod device.
3) To Facebook

Put it for sale and rake in the $
Honestly, unless DJI updates the android app for live streaming, if this app had live streaming to facebook for android, i would pay for it (depending on price). Im going to hawaii in May and planning to bring the P3P so this would be awesome to have as an android user.

Excellent !!!!!
Very funny, you are the best, Doug !
I like the way you use your drone !

The next time I go to the USA, I come to see you!
In May, I make the South crossing by car, from Orlando to Los Angeles, are you on my way?

Oh no, you are'nt, Wisconsin..., never mind, lol.
That was truly amusing.

Thank you Brian.

I hear you. That all makes a ton of sense. And we have been told before that making a new platform is not the way to go, since as you said, people already have their sites that they go to, and don't need/want a new one.

We have our own site partly for testing, and partly because we do think that a map-based interface has big advantages. But our viewership/pilot chicken/egg problem is obviously a pretty big one.

There's a lot to think about. Our app does a pretty heavy amount of processing on the mobile device, because DJI basically makes their Android stream completely unsuitable for live streaming, so it has to be modified on the fly. Since we do that and then send it to our server, directing it to facebook (and in fact any other site, as we have been intending for future enterprise versions) should be feasible.

As a question to the board--are there other pilots who would be more inclined to test the app if it could broadcast to facebook? (we'll worry about price for after we get people to shake it out, but the idea would be for it to be in the litchi or less price point.)

Thanks!
Brian
www.skytubelive.com

I hear you. That all makes a ton of sense. And we have been told before that making a new platform is not the way to go, since as you said, people already have their sites that they go to, and don't need/want a new one.

We have our own site partly for testing, and partly because we do think that a map-based interface has big advantages. But our viewership/pilot chicken/egg problem is obviously a pretty big one.

There's a lot to think about. Our app does a pretty heavy amount of processing on the mobile device, because DJI basically makes their Android stream completely unsuitable for live streaming, so it has to be modified on the fly. Since we do that and then send it to our server, directing it to facebook (and in fact any other site, as we have been intending for future enterprise versions) should be feasible.

As a question to the board--are there other pilots who would be more inclined to test the app if it could broadcast to facebook? (we'll worry about price for after we get people to shake it out, but the idea would be for it to be in the litchi or less price point.)

Thanks!
Brian
www.skytubelive.com
Count me in for the testing! I help anyway I can to get this up and running for everyone.

Software changes all the time.

Last time I checked, the answer was no.

Facebook livestreaming through the DJI GO app is limited to Apple iOS devices that have both wifi and cellular internet such as an iPhone or some but not all iPads.

Hope this helps.

Can someone clarify what the current status on this is? My impression is that the Android Go app for P4 does allow live streaming, is this correct? But the P3 version still does not work?

Can someone clarify what the current status on this is? My impression is that the Android Go app for P4 does allow live streaming, is this correct? But the P3 version still does not work?
You'd think the FB live streaming would be standard on things like this. I hope I can find a way to do this before my vacation in May.

Have you personally done a Livestream from a DJI Phantom 3 series drone through a Andriod decide to Facebook?

If it works, why is DJI not listing this in the DJI GO (not DJI Go 4) apps features in the Google App Store?

DJI GO--For products before P4 - Android Apps on Google Play
Yeah..all it says is youtube live streaming.....
05000b205b4b993be4960abf47e62200.jpg

Thanks!
Brian
www.skytubelive.com
I'm always willing to beta test something as long as I can be assured that it wont't crash my UASs. I will only test in things like my Phantoms and Mavic too. My pretty birds stay home unless they need to feed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj