Live Another Day

Reaction score
I thought I'd share my close dabble with disaster this week as a warning to all excited, yet inexperienced pilots out there.

The plan was to visit a local waterfall and capture some shots from its base all the way to the top and beyond!
The terrain was rocky and generally uneven at the bottom. I selected a large, flatish rock and went through all pre flight checks and calibrations. Take off went well and I was soon hovering over the pool at the base of the falls before soaring high into the sky. I picked up the shots I was looking for along with some video and decided to call it a day.

I returned my Phantom to six feet above the take off point and descended slowly. What I had not anticipated was the turbulence generated by the rocky/boulder strewn terrain. The Phantom would not hold steady and I feared that it would slip or tip if I attempted to land. I scanned the area and spotted a flatter spot and went for the landing. Alas my fears came to pass and it side slipped towards the waters edge. I panicked and sent it the wrong way. The props clipped a small bush flipping it over onto the rock and it slid straight into the water! I powered off as soon as it flipped and had it out of the water within 5 to 6 seconds. More than enough time for it to get soaked and the dye to run red. I had the battery straight out and dried it the best I could on the way home. It sat in a rice for three days and I set up a hairdryer to gently waft it from many angles for long periods of time. After four days I plucked up the courage to insert another battery and power it up. Speakers beeped and lights flashed as one would hope and all the engines fired up! The test flight went well and all seems to be in order. I got lucky.

I know I flew in a location beyond my current skill set and did not take the time to correctly assess the situation. There were much safer landing spots about 100 yards out which I could have selected but I was too focused on landing NOW!

Anyhow, to all my fellow new pilots. Practice. Take your time. Don't rush. Look around you. Breathe. Unless your battery is about to die you have time to think things through at your leisure. The waterfalls of the world will wait. Build up those skills. Live to fly another day!

4Wzlvdm.jpg

5nZRl2p.jpg

d9oKMLw.jpg

llkV8ly.jpg

:)

Good advice and nice photos. Only thing I would add is learn to hand catch. That would have saved your bacon in this circumstance.

Good advice and nice photos. Only thing I would add is learn to hand catch. That would have saved your bacon in this circumstance.
Thanks. Would you mind explaining the ways of the hand catch? All those swirling props make my fingers rather nervous.

Reactions: Silvaplana
Glad your bird wasn't harmed. These things are sometimes remarkably durable. Your first photo showing the Phantom Pro. There is something eminently cool looking about the Phantom. Something elegant, like I expect it to emit some R2-D2 beeps and fly off on some secret adventure. ;)

There are videos on how to catch your P3P on Youtube. You need to make sure its above your head and not windy. I also learned some lessons and start heading back at 40% battery instead of 30% to make sure it makes it home before battery runs out.

Put the Phantom about 5-6 feet above the ground in a hover. Then walk up and firmly grab the landing skid on a leg with your right hand,
then without moving, push/hold down on the throttle with your left hand to shut down the motors. If you try to move your catching hand
before you kill the motors, the Phantom 3 will fight you to keep its position. The landing gear legs are sturdy, and can support the drone's
weight. I've done this at the beach once so far, and it wasn't really scary at all.

I fly with a lanyard on the controller which helps a lot. Prop guards might lessen the worry of the props.... the bird is so stable at hover,
it's easy enough to grab.

Put the Phantom about 5-6 feet above the ground in a hover. Then walk up and firmly grab the landing skid on a leg with your right hand,
then without moving, push/hold down on the throttle with your left hand to shut down the motors. If you try to move your catching hand
before you kill the motors, the Phantom 3 will fight you to keep its position. The landing gear legs are sturdy, and can support the drone's
weight. I've done this at the beach once so far, and it wasn't really scary at all.

I fly with a lanyard on the controller which helps a lot. Prop guards might lessen the worry of the props.... the bird is so stable at hover,
it's easy enough to grab.

When it's windy that what I do. No reason to risk a tip over on landing.

Descend slow, touch down, and left stick all the way, straight back & down. Motors shut off. Why are you guys tipping over, upon landing your drones? I have never hand caught my Phantom, nor have I even come close to tipping over after landing. Must be the terrain, you frequent that necitates this behaviour. Personally I feel it's dangerous and unnecessary... Each to thier own, devices...

RedHotPoker

Descend slow, touch down, and left stick all the way, straight back & down. Motors shut off. Why are you guys tipping over, upon landing your drones? I have never hand caught my Phantom, nor have I even come close to tipping over after landing. Must be the terrain, you frequent that necitates this behaviour. Personally I feel it's dangerous and unnecessary... Each to thier own, devices...

RedHotPoker

I chose NOT to land my P3 on a sandy beach. I tried the grab technique. It works well. I do not use it exclusively. My LZ
that day was overcome by parked cars. I fully admit an oversight on my part, BUT on the beach, or on the highway were
the two choices. Kicking up loose sand from prop wash seemed a greater evil. I've also gone swimming right after I ate...
...I just live on the edge. ;)

Yeah, but have you tried swimming after eating a double order of octopus, squid and giant prawns? ;-)
image.jpeg

I bet you will do belly flops too, eh? Hahaha
Try the sushi?

RedHotPoker

Reactions: MrMcfly
Not me, I'm down the street, in hot plate heaven, at the "Green Hotel"

Try the cheese whiz?

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics