Little Planets!

It's pretty easy to shoot these manually too - you don't need to have Litchi. But it is amazing to press Go and it shoots all 26 photos like I used to do manually! If you're in doubt, just get a trial version of PtGui or whatever software you like for stitching, take 26 shots (3 rows of 8: level, down a bit, down more, then one each way pointing straight down) and load them up. You'll see how easy it is.

Reactions: PaulJohn
Hey everyone,

If any of you are into this concept, post your little planets in this thread! I'd love to see them! :)

I've finally managed to capture my first one. Taken using Litchi above Trafalgar Square, London and stitched in PTGui Pro from 26 images. The app is actually really simple to use and offers a nice variety of ready presets, including little planets. There's a free trial so give it a try! :)

It's worth noting that it took Litchi well over 3 minutes to capture the shots... I wonder if any other software out there handles it faster?

250504fdd1ebd1e2e7c0f23e38a1a859.jpg

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How in the hell did you get the starting point centered so well? Did you give the bird a GPS coordinate and altitude or were you standing directly underneath it and visually lining it up?

Did you take off from dead center between those two fountains ?

That has to be it. You took off placing the bird dead center for takeoff so you had your center point locked in. Then got to the right altitude and let the camera/software take the image sequence?

Were you using a neutral density filter?

Sorry for all the questions. I just gotta figure out how you did this.

Last edited:
what does spherical 3/4 rows mean? I haven't taken any pano shots yet.
When you choose pano in litchi, there are various sub modes that you can choose. Spherical is the one you have to choose to make little planets. In the mode "Custom spherical" you can enable up to 4 rows with from 6 to if i remember well, 8 stills per row. Then is enough to start it and litchi will make the stills turning the bird and pitching the gimbal. Last pictures are token at gimbal pitch 90° (litchi does this in every spherical pano mode you choose) aiming the ground. So, if you want to be centered to the ground, first thing to do when at your preferred height is to aim the gimbal to the ground and be sure to be centered. Then start the shoot sequence in pano mode. This because the bird will only yaw like on a dime, it will not move around...

Ps: More rows means more % of pic that override the row below = more precise pano.

More stills per row = more horizontal override in pictures = more precise pano

[emoji106]

a85800950530ee191447f6f6d25fa29c.jpg

Last edited:
I'm trying to eliminate the process of have to align it with anything while it's in the air. That's what I've been trying to tell you. I already assumed you can manually align it.

I'm trying to eliminate the process of have to align it with anything while it's in the air. That's what I've been trying to tell you. I already assumed you can manually align it.
And a cofee while the phantom is in the air making your little planet.

You have to manual allign the ground shot if you want it to be centered to whatever tou want. At least with litchi.

And a cofee while the phantom is in the air making your little planet.

You have to manual allign the ground shot if you want it to be centered to whatever tou want. At least with litchi.
Can't you set the launch point as the coordinates for it to hover over during litchi pano photo capture?

That way all you need to do is set the vertical position and start the capture. Maybe I'm missing something here. I might be making this more complicated than it needs to be.

For instance :
If I wanted a pano of a football stadium and put the bird down on the center of the 50 yard line. Then elevate the bird to desired height and star image capture. No aligning guesswork. Is that possibe?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Can't you set the launch point as the coordinates for it to hover over during litchi pano photo capture?

That way all you need to do is set the vertical position and start the capture. Maybe I'm missing something here. Thanks for the info.
If you launch in the center of a square for example and you full throttle up to the desired height then you should be centered. Anyway with many stills per row you can allign a little bit also in post.

To go to coordinate is not possible, you can go in a point of the map with a waypoint mission...

If you launch in the center of a square for example and you full throttle up to the desired height then you should be centered. Anyway with many stills per row you can allign a little bit also in post.

To go to coordinate is not possible, you can go in a point of the map with a waypoint mission...
That's OK. The first one you mentioned is what I'm after. I'm getting older and my near vision isn't great. Between the glare on screen and my vision it's hard for me to see the screen some times. Eliminating the need to align the bird saves me a step that I won't screw up.

Thanks

How in the hell did you get the starting point centered so well? Did you give the bird a GPS coordinate and altitude or were you standing directly underneath it and visually lining it up?

Did you take off from dead center between those two fountains ?

That has to be it. You took off placing the bird dead center for takeoff so you had your center point locked in. Then got to the right altitude and let the camera/software take the image sequence?

Were you using a neutral density filter?

Sorry for all the questions. I just gotta figure out how you did this.

I just line it up visually as I fly above the center point with my gimbal pointed straight down. Then launch the panorama mode in Litchi (3 rows of 8 plus 2 shots straight down). Didn't use any ND filters.
You can also adjust the center point in PTGui to a small extent.
My only concern is the time it takes Litchi to complete the full panorama, I wonder if it's faster in AutoPilot... [emoji849] Hopefully more apps like DronePan get P4 compatibility.

When you choose pano in litchi, there are various sub modes that you can choose. Spherical is the one you have to choose to make little planets. In the mode "Custom spherical" you can enable up to 4 rows with from 6 to if i remember well, 8 stills per row. Then is enough to start it and litchi will make the stills turning the bird and pitching the gimbal. Last pictures are token at gimbal pitch 90° (litchi does this in every spherical pano mode you choose) aiming the ground. So, if you want to be centered to the ground, first thing to do when at your preferred height is to aim the gimbal to the ground and be sure to be centered. Then start the shoot sequence in pano mode. This because the bird will only yaw like on a dime, it will not move around...

Ps: More rows means more % of pic that override the row below = more precise pano.

More stills per row = more horizontal override in pictures = more precise pano

[emoji106]

a85800950530ee191447f6f6d25fa29c.jpg
Thank you!! That really makes a lot of sense and should be easy to throw together once I'm out flying next time!

That link earlier in this thread was to one of the largest national papers writing about the OP of this thread because of the photos and videos linked to this thread, Paul John looks like your famous bro but also looks like your about to become #3 lol. Don't you think we all wanna fly over central London at 1000ft? Anyway the pictures were great, but it was a bad idea bro, expect a knock on your door.

Thanks my brother :) So far the only people ringing my doorbell were numerous reporters. I've already told the concierge to let them know I ain't talking to press haha. Crazy how nagging they can be! [emoji1]

And I get it alright ;) So how about we stick to the topic of the thread. Let's see some more Little Planets!

Reactions: Suhail78
I've removed a bunch of posts on safety related concerns that have been taking this thread off topic. As much as I agree with the concerns over cavelier attitudes towards safety, this thread is not about that. We cant let every thread become a safety debate. And it's more likely than not that the OP will be getting an earful from the CAA.

If you wish to talk safety, please do so in the General section. There are numerous threads already but you can start your own if you like. And a general reminder about courtesy: please don't call people names or be offensive. If you want to make a point, do so politely or not at all.

Now back to little planets.

Last edited:
I just line it up visually as I fly above the center point with my gimbal pointed straight down. Then launch the panorama mode in Litchi (3 rows of 8 plus 2 shots straight down). Didn't use any ND filters.
You can also adjust the center point in PTGui to a small extent.
My only concern is the time it takes Litchi to complete the full panorama, I wonder if it's faster in AutoPilot... [emoji849] Hopefully more apps like DronePan get P4 compatibility.

Thanks for the great info. Seems like it would be real difficult to manually line up the camera properly at that elevation. Will have to experiment with it. Can you get litchi to display grid lines for alignment?

Reactions: PaulJohn
I'm kind of scared to use this Litchi app. Can you tell me if I have the standard operating procedure sequence correct ?

1 get drone in the air under DJI
2 switch off DJI
3 start litchi
4 do your litchi stuff
5 exit litchi
6 launch DJI
7 land

I'm kind of scared to use this Litchi app. Can you tell me if I have the standard operating procedure sequence correct ?

1 get drone in the air under DJI
2 switch off DJI
3 start litchi
4 do your litchi stuff
5 exit litchi
6 launch DJI
7 land
Start the drone
Connect the device
Start litchi
Fly
Do whatever you want
Land

Question about little planets technique... how high do you have to go to take good pics?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4