Little bit of advise needed.

Reaction score
As some of you know, when you flick the quad into manual mode, you suddenly have, or seem to have a great deal more power.
Ascending speed is almost doubled.

My question is, how can i get this extra power in GPS mode, i had a look on the Naza software and was flicking between GPS and Manual to see if any Gains where changing, but nothing happened. Now i am carrying a gimbal, GoPro, and 1 or 2 batteries, i could really do with a little more oomph to help carry it all.

If i was good enough i would just fly manual, but its all to much moneys worth to be flying around un-aided.

Any thoughts people???

You have a few choices to do so.
1. Set it manually, how?
First you must understand that the GAIN works this way:

The Basic GAIN (first row in the GAIN tab of BASIC section in the Assistant) controls Flight attitude which means the higher the gain, the faster your Phantom will go back to level positions.
the Attitude GAIN (second row) control stick response which means the higher the GAIN, the faster and more powerful your stick command will be.

With that in mind, you can manually set the GAIN to your liking. DJI recommend changing 10% at a time.
This means, you have to hook it up to your computer, set it, unhook and test fly and repeat the steps until you come to where you like. But if the weather changes or you add more accessories thus change weight, then you may have to change the GAIN setting again.

2. Set it remotely without the computer hookup. First in the Assistant, in the GAIN tab of BASIC section click on the INH and select X1 of "whatever" GAIN you want (most likely the whole row). Turn your TX over on the bottom right, you will see a hole and if you look down, you will see a pot which can be adjusted using a small screw driver. Turning the pot will change the GAIN so while your Phantom still connected to the computer, try that and see how the GAIN % changes. First you want to set it so that around the "mid point" of the pot, you have the number as close as the default as possible and leave the pot setting there. You may want to put the mark on the back so that you know where is the mid point.
At the field, you can try different settings and see how your Phantom reacts. Find your best pot setting and don't touch it.
Back at home, connect to your computer and look at the GAIN, write the numbers down, then INH those X1 and set the numbers to whatever you wrote down.
Now do the same for the second row (Attitude GAIN) as above.
Later on you can "fine tune" each setting using the same method but set X1 for only what you want to change.

Good luck,

Note. we are using the hidden 7th channel of the Phantom TX, designed for the gimbal movement which requires the control arm connected to the pot on the back and you use your pinky to control the angle of the gimbal.

Thanks for the info Tanasit, I'm not using the Phantom controller, so will prob just play with the laptop,

I'll take a look and see what i can adjust.

I may be back for some advise... lol

Making it more responsive by changing the gains, and asking for it to be more powerful in a mode other than manual, are
two different things.
If you change the gains, and improve the response a certain percentage in gps, or atti mode, then when you put it in manual
mode it will also have changed that same percentage.
The question was how do you obtain more power in gps, or atti mode, than in manual mode ?

Audaciter said:
Making it more responsive by changing the gains, and asking for it to be more powerful in a mode other than manual, are
two different things.
If you change the gains, and improve the response a certain percentage in gps, or atti mode, then when you put it in manual
The question was how do you obtain more power in gps, or atti mode, than in manual mode ?

Manual mode is always going to be much better then having all the automatic flight systems, which is why there is a mod for the AR Drone to give it far more response and runs in Manual mode with a normal TX.

Your never going to get the same response the way the Phantom is setup, which is why some turn on the Manual setting on the Phantom. If you want faster and much better response then just learn to fly in Manual mode.

colchester daz said:
Thanks for the info Tanasit, I'm not using the Phantom controller, so will prob just play with the laptop,

I'll take a look and see what i can adjust.

I may be back for some advise... lol

If you use the TX with additional lever or knob controlled channel, then you can set it to change the GAIN in flight.
I do that with my DX8 TX using the AUX3 knob. The key is when connect to the Assistant, set the knob to center, then set the GAIN to default values and finally select X1 (which is the channel you use the cable to connect to X1 on NAZA). Finally turn the knob to both extreme and see if you get the range within limits, otherwise adjust the servo travel accordingly.

Audaciter said:
two different things.

First we have to separate the GAIN setting as 2 different categories: (see Gain tab in Basic section)

1. The Basic gain: the higher the number the more response of the flight attitude or simply put the faster your Phantom gets back to level after being off either by external force or the stick command.

2. The Attitude gain: controls the stick response which is proportion to speed and length of your stick movement.

If the "power" you mention means the quickness in response by your TX stick command, then you have to RAISE the Attitude gain and LOWER the Basic gain settings. Now if you want to be even more specific; for example you want the pitch & roll to be fast but slow yaw, then you can pick and choose accordingly.

With the above definitions in mind, you can see that ALL 3 modes (GPS; ATTI & MANUAL) should have the same "power" as you choose to say BUT the instant correction of the NAZA once you release the stick command only occurs in the GPS and ATTI mode, thus make you feel you have less power.

Last but not least, you have to choose the proper prop for your Phantom's AUW as well as consider the OSL if you live in high altitude. Smaller props usually give quicker response than the larger prop. For stock Phantom with no video gear, I found the 3 blade props GWS HD-9050x3 to be very responsive but they are not easy to balance and some may be out of track!

Great information Tanasit !

quick question though, what do AUW and OSL stand for ?

I like the looks of the 3 blade props, but shied away, because I had heard performance would suffer.
I guess I'll just have to give them a go.

I'm about to put my Phantom back together. I removed the main board, and led, and installed a carbon fiber plate, with power distribution board on the bottom, Naza V1, PMU V2, V-sense led, along with my Futaba receiver.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers