Litchi

Reaction score
I've seen the name quite a bit on the forums here, I went to the website.
Can anyone tell me, what the big deal of Litchi is? It looks like a 3rd party app to DJI GO. Nothing seems to stand out for me.

Simi Valley, Saturday, February 20, 2016. I found a white Phantom drone in my backyard near Berylwood Elementary School. I want to return it to the owner.

I've seen the name quite a bit on the forums here, I went to the website.
Can anyone tell me, what the big deal of Litchi is? It looks like a 3rd party app to DJI GO. Nothing seems to stand out for me.
Much better imagery on the map
Build missions from you sofa instead of burning up battery by planning after lift off.
Build missions on the Mission Hub on your computer
Better interface
VR mode for Android
There are other things, but to me the better satellite imagery and mission planning flexibility were the big thing.

Further waypoint missions, preplanning of flight path, POI and how to instruct the camera in relation to drone path, completely autonomous flight with or without signal......

Litchi offers advanced, offline flight planning for fully automated control of the aircraft and camera. If this isn't important to you, than DJI GO is likely just fine.

My Litchi crashes quite often while I fly my P2V using an 8 GB neutab G7, and I frequently have a recording app going. It's irritating but not a deal killer for me. I'd say it crashes about a third of the time, always early in the flight. It crashes, I restart the app, it then reconnects almost instantly and it doesn't crash again.

Reactions: TrevorTron
My Litchi crashes quite often while I fly my P2V using an 8 GB neutab G7, and I frequently have a recording app going. It's irritating but not a deal killer for me. I'd say it crashes about a third of the time, always early in the flight. It crashes, I restart the app, it then reconnects almost instantly and it doesn't crash again.

Interesting that it crashes once then not again- and it would be nice to get some feedback from others. Do you take all the precautions spoken about elsewhere on here- like shutting down un-necessary app's, stopping updates etc. etc?

I've used the Litchi App a few times on my Air2. It has crashed about 8 times while I was setting it up and getting used to the interface, and that has kept me from actually flying with it. I would panic if it crashed in mid flight, so I've been using the Go App.

Interesting that it crashes once then not again- and it would be nice to get some feedback from others. Do you take all the precautions spoken about elsewhere on here- like shutting down un-necessary app's, stopping updates etc. etc?
Yes, it's a clean boot before I run Litchi. I think maybe if I had a little more memory it wouldn't crash. I dunno...

Yes, it's a clean boot before I run Litchi. I think maybe if I had a little more memory it wouldn't crash. I dunno...

Admittedly 8GB does sound a bit on the light side.
But a 'clean boot' doesn't necessarily mean there is nothing running in the background. You may not have actively launched any app's, but there's always stuff going on in the background. There have been numerous discussions about it.
Try this for starters- can't hurt...

1) Go to Apps options and manually select all apps, and disable notifications for every single app you can.
2) Go to App Store and disable automatic updating of all apps, by clicking the 3 dots on the top corner.

There are other tweaks to reduce the workload on the processor but these seem to make the most sense. There is also a free app called Zapper App killer which can be useful to quickly shut down any un-necessary processes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
Admittedly 8GB does sound a bit on the light side.
But a 'clean boot' doesn't necessarily mean there is nothing running in the background. You may not have actively launched any app's, but there's always stuff going on in the background. There have been numerous discussions about it.
Try this for starters- can't hurt...

1) Go to Apps options and manually select all apps, and disable notifications for every single app you can.
2) Go to App Store and disable automatic updating of all apps, by clicking the 3 dots on the top corner.

There are other tweaks to reduce the workload on the processor but these seem to make the most sense. There is also a free app called Zapper App killer which can be useful to quickly shut down any un-necessary processes.
Good to know, thanks.
I use Litchi exclusively on a Samsung Tab A 9.7" and have never had an issue or had it crash on me (touch wood).

Also good to know. I think I'm gonna get a Nexus 7 at some point very soon. Pilots on this site seem to love 'em

does litchi record audio from android device when recording video on camera??? with and with out telem???

thank you

Welcome to the site!

First question: No.

Second question: No.

What you can do with Litchi is make it talk to you. It'll give you certain telemetry that you choose. For example you can choose what telemetry you want spoken verbally every X number of seconds that you also choose. But you can use another app (e.g. AZ recorder) and start that before you start Litchi, and AZ recorder will make a video and audio recording of what's happening in your app. So on replay you can hear the Litchi voice talking ("Speed 32 miles per hour"), you can hear the drone of the Phantom when it lifts off and lands or when it's close (e.g. BZZZZZZZZ), and you can hear the quiet mutterings of yourself (e.g. "Where the **** is it???").

Later when you play back the actual nice and sharp camera video, you can overlay the flight data from the Litchi log onto the video using software such as Dashware.

Hope this helps.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj