Litchi waypoints gimbal won't focus on the POI

Reaction score
I've tried a few waypoint missions and each time when I have the waypoints set to "Focus POI" (POI is set to a few feet off the ground), The craft is facing the POI's direction but it doesn't tilt down to see the POI, it just stares out into the horizon oblivion.

Here's the flight (skip to 3:25 to jump to the section in the screenshots below)

Here is an overview of the part of flight in question. All of these waypoints should be looking at the islands in the middle of the pond.

20iiduh.jpg

Here are waypoint settings for 10,11,12
m8isxw.jpg

nf38go.jpg

2mq9uhk.jpg

Show us how you have setup POI height.

All seems to be ok, can't see the problem.

Was gimbal mode selected as follow or Fpv? Check other gimbal settings.

Was gimbal given enough time to move down based on your settings?

Last edited:
Yes gimbal was set to follow and yes that should be plenty of time to for it to move down. I'm wondering if those power lines caused interference with the gimbal.

I'm experiencing the same thing as the original poster. My Phantom 4 makes it to all the waypoints and rotates the drone correctly, but the camera will not turn down to look at the POI as it should with "Focus POI". Changing the height of the POI changes the degrees in the waypoint settings. I have the gimbal set to Follow in the DJI GO app. I'm using the latest Litchi version on iOS iPad Air 2.

No issues with mine tilting down to look at a POI but I cannot figure out how to have it stay at a certain waypoint. I dont believe its listening to me when I tell it to START or STOP recording. Another thing I dont understand.... "ACTIONS NOT AVAILABLE WITH CURVED PATH" , explain why?

in the litchi documentation, it states that the waypoint mission will continue without a connection to your remote but actions at those waypoints may not occur. are you disconnected at the times that your gimbal doesn't pitch down to a POI?

Focus POI does not work autonomously, no matter the settings. The best way around this is to look at the camera angles on the waypoints in your mission after setting POI'S and then set your gimbal angle to the average degree.

Focus POI does not work autonomously, no matter the settings. The best way around this is to look at the camera angles on the waypoints in your mission after setting POI'S and then set your gimbal angle to the average degree.

sure it does. there's no need to set your gimbal angles manually. my mission settings are set to interpolate for gimbal pitch mode. my individual waypoint settings are set to focus POI for gimbal pitch mode. this ALWAYS gives me a smooth transition from waypoint to waypoint and adjusts my gimbal pitch and aircraft yaw very well.

No issues with mine tilting down to look at a POI but I cannot figure out how to have it stay at a certain waypoint. I dont believe its listening to me when I tell it to START or STOP recording. Another thing I dont understand.... "ACTIONS NOT AVAILABLE WITH CURVED PATH" , explain why?

All actions at waypoints listed with + sign are not available if path mode is set to curved path.

sure it does. there's no need to set your gimbal angles manually. my mission settings are set to interpolate for gimbal pitch mode. my individual waypoint settings are set to focus POI for gimbal pitch mode. this ALWAYS gives me a smooth transition from waypoint to waypoint and adjusts my gimbal pitch and aircraft yaw very well.
Yes but its not actually autonomously focusing on a POI it is essentially just transitioning from 1 way point data to the next. I. E. The gimble pitch will not change drastically if you fly directly over the POI which is not perfectly centered between WAYPOINTS for example.

However if you are in RC range and choose focus POI then it is genuine and the POI will be kept center frame without any careful planning. As strange as it is it is something to do with limitations in the SDK.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/wlx11...0ylqj0xn/Screenshot_20160421_105233.png[/img]

Last edited:
Yes but its not actually autonomously focusing on a POI it is essentially just transitioning from 1 way point data to the next. I. E. The gimble pitch will not change drastically if you fly directly over the POI which is not perfectly centered between WAYPOINTS for example.

However if you are in RC range and choose focus POI then it is genuine and the POI will be kept center frame without any careful planning. As strange as it is it is something to do with limitations in the SDK.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/wlx11szuf/full/][/URL]

perhaps it's from my lack of sleep, but I'm having difficulty deciphering your post. are you restating what I said on post #10? if so, then we are in agreement and I believe the actions you are suggesting in post #11 is probably a good solution.

maybe actively pointing the controller at the aircraft during a waypoint mission is not completely autonomous. :p

You know "Stay for" is its own action right, which you set in seconds, works fine for me.
I always thought its part of the actions at every waypoint and will be disabled if curved paths are selected. Thx for the info.

Have you posted any videos of the smooth pitch and yaw transitions mentioned. The Solo MPCC enthusiasts say nothing matches it for cinematic transitions.

I set my first extended Litchi mission today. I lost RC contact very quickly which is odd because I have flown roughly the same area without problems manually. I pooped myself and just waited for the screen to flicker back to life. 7 minutes it was disconnected! I was dying. Finally my trusty little P4 resumed comms and came home to me. So relieved. All the actions set in Litchi were executed perfectly in spite of this unexpected disconnection.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Have you posted any videos of the smooth pitch and yaw transitions mentioned. The Solo MPCC enthusiasts say nothing matches it for cinematic transitions.

my most recent edit. keep in mind I sped up a lot of the footage so if there are some jerky movements, it's because of two waypoints that are close together with maybe more than one POI target. in real time, it's pretty smooth.

Video editing

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1