Litchi Waypoint Question

Reaction score
Just a few basic questions.
First, will the Phantom 3 fly beyond its battery? In other words, if I set a waypoint mission and battery gets to low to complete, will the bird initiate an over-ride and return home before battery depletion?

Second, say I have waypoint 1 at 30 M altitude and waypoint 2 at 60 M altitude. when going from point 1 to 2, does the bird elevate from 30M to 60M first, then head over to point 2 or is the altitude increase gradual between the points.

I can answer the latter for you. The bird will gradually ascend on its way to waypoint 2. I will sit back and wait along with you for the answer to your first question. I keep my waypoint missions at 22 minutes or less at a average speed of about 20 to 22 mph. This gives me a comfortably 4 mile round trip mission with no worries. You'll find this to be plenty of distance. Hope you've outfitted your bird with a tracking device since it sounds like you're flying beyond your line of sight.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I can answer the latter for you. The bird will gradually ascend on its way to waypoint 2. I will sit back and wait along with you for the answer to your first question. I keep my waypoint missions at 22 minutes or less at a average speed of about 20 to 22 mph. This gives me a comfortably 4 mile round trip mission with no worries. You'll find this to be plenty of distance. Hope you've outfitted your bird with a tracking device since it sounds like you're flying beyond your line of sight.

I'm not flying beyond line of site but wanted to know what would happen if I did

It will complete the entire mission even after flying beyond your connection. It is a great feature, but can be a bit nerve racking until you get used to it. You have to ensure your mission is on point before sending it off. I can still track the birds position when it's out of range with the gps tracker I've installed on it.

My question wasn't if it would complete the mission if going out of range. I'm curious if it will try to complete the mission, even if it means battery will die before returning home.

I have not tested this theory yet because I do not flirt with my batteries limit. I am waiting along with you for someone who can verify your question.

Reactions: RDZDroneFlier
One more question. When flying a mission, what setting do I use to have rotation control. Example= I want to turn while bird is flying to next waypoint.

22 minutes? Isn't that pushing it?

Just a few basic questions.
First, will the Phantom 3 fly beyond its battery? In other words, if I set a waypoint mission and battery gets to low to complete, will the bird initiate an over-ride and return home before battery depletion?

Second, say I have waypoint 1 at 30 M altitude and waypoint 2 at 60 M altitude. when going from point 1 to 2, does the bird elevate from 30M to 60M first, then head over to point 2 or is the altitude increase gradual between the points.
On second ?
From my last flight. I think bird will fly from one point to next and ending point being the hight requested

If it can't get from A to B and be at the hight requested it will raise @ A to end up at B at the hight requested

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, 22 minutes is pushing it. My longest flight was 20 minutes, and so I do not exceed 20 minutes. Normally I average around 18 minute flights. To get your bird to rotate in flight, you have to learn how to plot your points of interests (POI's). Go to YouTube and search, "Litchi waypoint mission tutorials".

Let me try the question again a different way. Point A is at 100 feet. Point B is at 200 feet. Point C is at 300 feet.

From point B, the bird is at 200 feet. Does it elevate to 300 feet straight up first, then head over to point C or does the bird head up AND over simultaneously?

Let me try the question again a different way. Point A is at 100 feet. Point B is at 200 feet. Point C is at 300 feet.

From point B, the bird is at 200 feet. Does it elevate to 300 feet straight up first, then head over to point C or does the bird head up AND over simultaneously?

As the P3 transitions between waypoints it interpolates all movement and rotation.
WP 1 - 200' facing N
WP 2 - 300' facing N
WP 3 - 400' facing E

When it leaves WP1 it will gradually raise the 100' to arrive at WP2 at 300'. How fast it does so depends on the distance between the waypoints.

When it leaves WP2 it will again gradually raise the 100' to arrive at WP3 at 400'. While its rising its also rotating (yaw) from 0deg (N) to 90deg (E).

So half way between WP2 and WP3 the bird will be at 350' and facing NE (45deg).

This is why you MUST be aware of obstacles between waypoints. In the above scenario, if there is a building thats 300' tall between WP1 and WP2, the P3 is going to smack into the side of it because at no time between WP1 and WP2 is the bird at 300'. Its only at 300' when it arrives at WP2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20