Litchi Waypoint Mission with Course Lock Question

Reaction score
Hello,

Using latest version of Litchi (iOS) with my P4.

Q. How do I set a Waypoint mission so the aircraft follows the mission flight path BUT enables me to freely (manually) orientate the camera and rotate the aircraft? The point is I don't want to have to worry about where I'm going, just want to be able to concentrate on pointing the camera. (I put course lock in the title because I presumed this is the same concept).

Thank you in advance..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I don't think you can, once you upload the mission, and start, you have no control.
Not certain, but Autopilot offers more control, and may do what you want, but it is extremely steep learning curve.

I think you can do a mission and control the camera yourself. In each waypoint you set the gamble to disable. I'll need to test this but I think I have done it.

I think you can do a mission and control the camera yourself. In each waypoint you set the gamble to disable. I'll need to test this but I think I have done it.

You may be right, I have never tried, but I do not think you can change the orientation of the aircraft, so you are limited to just up and down of the camera. Disclaimer, what do I know anyway.

In mission settings, set Heading to "Manual" and Gimbal Pitch to "Disabled". pilot then controls direction the bird is pointing and the angle of the gimbal.

In mission settings, set Heading to "Manual" and Gimbal Pitch to "Disabled". pilot then controls direction the bird is pointing and the angle of the gimbal.
I don't see a check box for "manual" for the HEADING in mission hub settings. 0 heading would be due NORTH, right? Where's the "MANUAL" option?

upload_2017-2-13_11-32-49.png

7e6f8894301bf8c6edbcc29b1fdbc9ae.jpg

It's in the app not the pc side.
Thanks for this clarification.

Seems strange the Mission Hub options don't match the app options. I'm wondering what the logic is for that. Seems like an odd way to fly in "course mode", so to speak.

So you're saying if I setup a waypoint flight using mission hub on my PC, I can load the mission into the craft like normal, then go to this setting and change the HEADING to "MANUAL" to control the pitch and yaw of the camera/craft. Then when the mission is started, you're saying the craft will fly the pre-programmed waypoint mission, while providing full manual control of the camera pitch and craft yaw. Is that correct? Have you done this yourself?

It would seem to me that method would result in a mission conflict, but I'll try it and see. Thanks!

Last edited:
Should be no conflict, app tells the bird where to go and you tell it where to look. It's plainer on page 21 in the manual.

Yes, this works exactly as described.

Mission Hub is a limit subset of the functions available in the Android app (can't speak for iOS, and I mow they diverge and then come back together from time to time). With the addition of ground-relative altitudes for waypoints, most of the reasons I used MH before have gone away.

I'd note this doesn't work for missions flown disconnected, of course.

Should be no conflict, app tells the bird where to go and you tell it where to look. It's plainer on page 21 in the manual.
What? You mean I need to read the manual again? :p

Just kidding, but it's been over 9mos since I originally read it. I'm sure this has changed.

Thanks for the reassurance. I look forward to testing this.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the Litchi app expertise. I have 200 flights using Litchi and I've never even thought of directing the aircraft and the camera gimbal on waypoint Mission. But I will now! It's good to have smart friends.[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

A slight clarification... Changing the Heading Mode in the Mission Settings to "Manual" will allow you to control the heading of the aircraft but does not allow you to control gimbal/camera pitch angle. For that capability, you need to set the Default Gimbal Pitch Mode at each waypoint to "Disabled".

A slight clarification... Changing the Heading Mode in the Mission Settings to "Manual" will allow you to control the heading of the aircraft but does not allow you to control gimbal/camera pitch angle. For that capability, you need to set the Default Gimbal Pitch Mode at each waypoint to "Disabled".

I'm hoping the "manual" heading setting let's me control the yaw of the craft without changing the preprogrammed waypoint flight direction. Is that how it works?

I'm hoping the "manual" heading setting let's me control the yaw of the craft without changing the preprogrammed waypoint flight direction. Is that how it works?
Yes that's how it works. Just landed after a mission with those changes. And managed to drop the device out of the controller during the flight and naturally it fell amongst a pile of leaves, cable fell out, disconnected message and still it kept going. Nothing like a mild panic to prove the mission continues when physically disconnected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair