Litchi waypoint limitations

Reaction score
What waypoint limitations are there in Litchi?

I have a simple mission that has failed to start twice:

The mission starts from #1 my home, to #2 my father's home at 840m distance, then #3 back to my home, then RTH.

But there was an alert "Distance between two adjacent waypoint is too close" and the mission failed. I guess points #1 and #3 were too close, right?

So I adjusted the waypoint #3 100m further -- is that enough?? Anyway, I'd prefer to keep waypoint #3 on right top of the waypoint #1, if possible.

The second mission failed, too. I believe it failed because I had DJI GO's Maximum Flight Distance set to 500m, right?

I guess also DJI GO's max altitude can't be exceeded? I have it at 120m but it seems Litchi can start missions only at 110m or so, so I guess there is some rounding error there?

Straight from the horse's mouth:

"In Litchi the 3D distance between consecutive waypoints (including between last WP and first WP) must be within 0.5m to 2000m. Max distance and altitude settings in DJI GO are respected."

Is it true that the total mission distance is 10-12km?

Last edited:
I guess also DJI GO's max altitude can't be exceeded? I have it at 120m but it seems Litchi can start missions only at 110m or so, so I guess there is some rounding error there?
DJI Go's height and distance limitations are respected. My first waypoint is usually 98 ft, WAY less than 110m. Also, instead of putting your last waypoint on top of the first one, set your end action to return to first waypoint instead of RTH.

Reactions: matti
I usually set my last waypoint to be very near my take off point at an altitude of 15 feet. That way it is near me ad landing is easy.

I usually set my last waypoint to be very near my take off point at an altitude of 15 feet. That way it is near me ad landing is easy.
I do the same but it's usually around 150 so it doesn't have to descend as fast to get to the first waypoint (at or around 100 ft).

"In Litchi the 3D distance between consecutive waypoints (including between last WP and first WP) must be within 0.5m to 2000m. Max distance and altitude settings in DJI GO are respected."

Matti where did you come across total mission distance is 10km -12km.
I'm having problems with my mission and it is falling right into the area (10km-12km) it drops out of way point into RTH mode.
Not sure if it makes any differents but I'm using the version for Phantom 2 vision plus. I was thinking there was a time limit but I'm going to go back and check distance. I checked one and it came in at 11.8km the way point stopped.

AFAIR I read it in one message here. Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else so I'm uncertain about it.
So, did you ever get the mission you were working on (when you started this thread) to work?

Yes, I finally got the mission to work then. I guess my waypoints were less than 0.5m from each other.

Some DJI FW related Litchi limitations:

Max distance and max altitude DJI GO app settings are respected (there might be a rounding error so 120m does not work while 110m does).

3D distance between consecutive waypoints (including between last WP and first WP) must be within 0.5m to 2000m (this is a DJI firmware issue 5/2016).

If you have set end of mission as "Return to Waypoint 1" the last waypoint must be within 2000m of "1".

Land as a finishing move will currently only execute only under 2000m distance due to a bug in the DJI 5/2016 V01.08.0080 FW because it misinterprets that at a certain distance. A workaround is to set waypoints to come back home. So if you want to make a >2000m one way trip you will have to make waypoints back home, but try drive to the destination in time to take control.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pharm
Matti where did you come across total mission distance is 10km -12km.

I found old messages where I asked this from Litchi support:

>> Is it true that the total mission distance is 10-12km?

> Litchi Facebook 23.4.2016: No it's not true. The max distance is so high (I believe 40km) you will never be able to reach it due to battery constraints.

Wow, Matti! You've done your homework! You're the kind of person I'd be happy to fly with.

> Litchi Facebook 23.4.2016: No it's not true. The max distance is so high (I believe 40km) you will never be able to reach it due to battery constraints.
That maybe in the newer version of litchi but I'm working with v 2.7.2 for my P2v+. and there is some type of limitation. At or around 17 minutes it kicks out of way point and into RTH. this had happen 5 times to me with different batteries. Reason I say different batteries is I was asking and people were saying it was doing it because of smart battery RTH. I have that turned off in Litchi and had it turned off through DJI Vision software. To prove it was not I changed from the stock 5200 battery to a 6000 battery and I have an external battery strapped on I changed that from a 2700 to a 3300 and every time right around 17 minutes to switches from way point to RTH. I was checking my distance on the missions and all but one would fall in to the 10km-12km and the one kicked out at 12.5km. On the one that kicked out at 12.5km it was a wind pushing it out. I don't know if that would of made a different.
I have made it out to 4.75 miles or 7.64km, last time I made it back and auto landed about 2200 ft short.

Reactions: matti

I'm going to play around with the first way point and see if I can find a work around. I also notice in this version even if you put wait time at the way point to zero it would still slow down. I found if you check bank turn it does not slow down. and so far I've been able to get a distance of 3 miles between way points.
Matti have you flown a mission longer than 17 minutes?

yes, max is 10km; limitations by DJi firmware.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl