Litchi waypoint distance warning

Reaction score
This morning, after waiting for days for fine weather, I finally decided to do a Litchi waypoint mission with my P3A even though it was very cloudy and misty - I thought 'at least it'll be atmospheric'.

Because these aren't the normal conditions I fly in, I decided to load a mission it had already flown successfully.

I was just about to start the mission when I noticed a message in tiny lettering: "Warning: one or more wapoints are very far away". So I chickened out. I loaded another mission, again one it had flown before, and I got the same message. So then I just chickened out completely - I just wound up flying around a bit under manual control.

Probably everything would have been OK - in all probability, I'd got that same message the first time I'd flown those two missions and not noticed it - but the terrible thing is, owning a quadcopter costing several hundred pounds can turn you into an awful coward. I'd gone to all the trouble of setting up my Phantom and wound up with a couple of boring manual flights that I deleted as soon as I'd watched them on my PC.

But here's the thing I'd like some opinions on: was I unduly timid to let that message scare me out of flying those missions, or was I foolhardy to have flown them in the first place? Each one was of 12mins duration (I try never to go higher than that figure) and each ended with the battery being about half full (I try never to go lower than that).

It's true that I usually lose signal for most of the mission, but that begins very soon after takeoff, due to the very tall trees around where I usually fly. You'd think that distance wasn't a problem in this respect, because Litchi loads the mission and follows it autonomously regardless of whether it has a signal or not.

To put my question in a nutshell: how cautious should you be about this 'waypoints a long way away' message?

I;ve only ever seen that Message, when my final waypoint was very far from the home point, I moved my final waypoint, quite close to homepoint & message did not re-appear.
I;ve learnt its a great rule of thumb to always make that last waypoint close to home, You tried this?

Everything is relative. How long was your total mission, how long to fly? were you going to be running a risk of draining the battery before you got back? Warnings are just that, a notice that something is out of the normal. IF the mission loads and flies, it shouldn't be a problem, but be aware of things like winds that could cause the flight to take longer or drain the battery quicker.

I had a scare today. The waypoint mission was completed then as it got to the home point the bird flew off again automatically. God knows why. But I got it back. As for warning. I get that but it still does the mission, sometimes it doesn't. Very odd. But def check your last waypoint and when you see it and get video feed back, manually take control and bring it in to land

Neon Euc

Original poster here - I hope no one minds if I resurrect this thread.

Someone suggested this warning was because I might have put my last waypoint a long way away, but that can't be it, because I always put the last WP right in front of me.

Someone else suggested low battery, but the missions that gave this warning would have ended with just over half the battery left.

As a postscript, since starting this thread I decided to fly one of the missions that gave this warning. The warning was there again when I loaded the mission, so I was really nervous when I committed to sending the bird away. Signal was lost early on, so I had seven or eight minutes of just pacing back and forth worrying. But it came back, with 55% battery left.

So I'm still none the wiser about that warning.

When I do missions it does lose signal. It's like downloading software on the laptop, as soon as the internet is off you lose connection... Turn it back in and it will carry on as normal. Only difference is when you lose connection it still carried on with the mission. On loading a mission sometimes it won't start and sometimes it will. I always get the "one way point is to far away" message. It still does the mission and comes back

Neon Euc

The group would do much better solving this enigma if you were to share/post a link to your flight on the flylitchi hub so we could see your mission.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers