Litchi - speed to reach waypoint altitude

Reaction score
Hi Folks - Not sure how to really articulate my question so I like to use photographs from time to time. The answer may be obvious but would rather be safe than sorry. If you take a look at the photo below, I would like to do something very simple - start at a way point in the street at probably around 3-5 ft. then fly diagonally over the house to a way point that is roughly 40 ft in the air. Other than fly really slow and be ready to abort the mission, is there a way I can ensure I will ascend at a rate that will allow me to clear the top of the house? Would it be better to add a way point above the home at an altitude I know will be safe and therefore eliminate any question?

upload_2017-1-31_17-10-8.png

Hmm, looking at the photo suggests that you would miss the top of the house assuming the height of the highest part of the house was no more than 15-17 feet at mid point and the house is at the same level as your take off point. You could run the mission at a very slow speed and be ready to abort it I guess and if successful speed it up the next time and add additional waypoints or whatever with a bit of confidence.

Reactions: InforGuy
Hmm, looking at the photo suggests that you would miss the top of the house assuming the height of the highest part of the house was no more than 15-17 feet at mid point and the house is at the same level as your take off point. You could run the mission at a very slow speed and be ready to abort it I guess and if successful speed it up the next time and add additional way points or whatever with a bit of confidence.
Yeah, I think I may have answered my own question as I posted. I can always add a way point just before the roof and one at the highest point at the proper heights to be safe. Think I may give it a shot just flying really slow to see what happens making sure I can abort if need be.

Add two more waypoints. One at each roof junction. That way you don't clip the roof as your trying to descend to last waypoint if its low.

I add extra way points too and those waypoint do not have any actions as they are set up to establish the height I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Definitely add that waypoint before the house with enough height to clear the house with some margin (altitudes aren't real precise)

Thanks for all of the responses guys. Sounds like this is coming down to common sense. Much appreciated.

Definitely add that waypoint before the house with enough height to clear the house with some margin (altitudes aren't real precise)

I concur that "altitudes aren't real precise" and I discovered this during my very first Litchi waypoint mission. At the final waypoint of my mission (set at the take-off point) my quad descended to an altitude of 10-12 feet and hovered directly in front of me at that altitude. However, I had set the final waypoint to 33 ft. above my home point. That's a 20+ foot difference.

I love using Litchi and I use it almost exclusively but frankly, I don't think I'd be using Litchi in a situation where precise altitudes are that critical.

Or any of the "hobby class drones". Unless they have a compensated, no altimeter is that accurate, for reference only. Manned aircraft have to compensate for both changing temperature and atmospheric pressure.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie