Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Litchi scare

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by John MacNeill, Jan 18, 2016.

1. John MacNeill

Went to fly a 9wp mission but there was no map, standard or sat so I tried to fly anyway. It flew the 9 waypoints but when I tried to take over after the mission the aircraft went nuts. No apparent control. Looked very much like a fly-away. In a semi panic I switched to P mode with no result. Then I shut litchi down and started DJI GO. Hit RTH and recovered my flight. Pretty scary anyone have any idea of what might have caused this issue???

2. Justin Miller

John, what AC were you flying the standard or 4k? Just FYI when you switch out of F-Mode this should override all flight commands from any 3rd party app, if it did not do that then that would be a firmware concern. The more detail the better because this is something we can all watch out for and get reported to DJI if that is the case.

3. John MacNeill

Link to Litchi scare video. Thoughtd appreciated.

4. LanaRain

Scary !! Wow I'm glad you got it back safe. I took advantage of the new SDK update flying my P3S with the Autopilot App. I made a little flight plan at home only 5 way points and a couple of different camera views loaded it up and thanks goodness it executed perfectly ,complete take off to landing . I'll keep flight plans simple until I really trust the technology lol I find this so fun

5. Dirty Bird

Looks like you actually made contact with that one street lamp. Whew!

6. John MacNeill

It was not funny when you're going through it. I gotta go back today if nothing else to get my confidence back.

derkk likes this.
  7. TheTanger

That doesn't bode well for their app! I too am beta tester and am thinking twice about using it. Just got it a couple days ago.

8. jrock87

I guess that's why they beta test, I am excited to try out this app on android

9. TheTanger

Yea...but did you watch that video? NONE of that should have happened at all...even in a beta. That's more like Alpha programming.

Dirty Bird likes this.
  10. jrock87

Yeah I guess I don't know the levels of software testing and can't say I really follow what was supposed to happen in the video and what was unexpected. The part that seemed the oddest to me was the loss of control at the beginning close to the ground and people.

I don't have my phantom yet but I am prepared to fly it like a real pilot, lots of checklists, know my controls very well before any flight as well as what to do in an emergency, and just be as safe as possible. A craft like this has the possibility to do a lot of damage to property or person, not to mention if you wreck it a significant amount of cash down the drain for errors that could have been prevented.

It would be nice to hear some follow-up on this as to whether it was a user error, app error, or could have been prevented in some way.

11. TheTanger

Yes, that right there is what scared me the most-and the pilot literally had no control of the craft. VERY dangerous...I hope they have an answer to this-in the meantime I don't think I'll chance it and stick with DJI Go.

Tony Cowan likes this.
  12. John MacNeill

The initial out of control action was not pilot error. When the aircraft was heading south I was pushing the left control forward in an attempt to gain altitude. Then I pressed the right control forward than backward to try and determine what orientation the aircraft was in. What I did not do until wp 13 was to switch from F mode to P mode. When I made the switch it appeared I regained control. As I got the aircraft close to home it seemed to go out of control again. At wp 14 I switched from Litchi to DJI GO at which time I activated RTH. This worked and when the aircraft was overhead I cancelled RTH and landed manually. In a former life I was a commercial pilot and flying instructor so I know all about safety checks and checklists. My 32 years as an Air Traffic Controller I know all about safety first. I've been flying drones now for over two years and I am very familiar with how the controls work. My error would have been now switching to P mode as soon as I detected the aircraft was out of control. Why it went out of control after the mission has me concerned.

13. TheTanger

Thanks for the detail...that was very strange behavior from the Phantom...my apologies if it you took my comments to mean you didn't know how to control it. I could see you literally didn't have ANY control for awhile...meaning it had a mind of it's own. It wasn't super windy was it? I have switched to P-Atti a couple of times while hovering during a slightly breezy day and was very surprised how fast and far the wind pushed my bird! If I wasn't paying attention it would have hit a tree or two. Too much trouble...so I just stay in P-GPS. Hopefully you get this figured out...until then DJI Go, I'm too scared.

14. John MacNeill

It was windy 10-15 mph but not too windy to fly.

15. John MacNeill

I did not have an anemometer so i don't exactly how windy it was. My flying partner, who also has a P3P, thought it was too windy. While flying the mission stability was not an issue.

16. John MacNeill

Re-ran the mission today. It was flawless

17. TheTanger

You are a brave man. I noticed an update a day or two ago also...wonder if that had anything to do with it? (Maybe they fixed whatever went wrong)

18. John MacNeill

Like smart and dumb. There is a thin line between brave and stupid :)

19. jbe420

Did the camera you took pic at in the start at first glitch have wifi in bc it look like when you took pic. It glitches

20. John MacNeill

The video was taken with the onboad camera. There was no Pic taken. Very hard to understand what you are asking...Sorry