Litchi Radar - still confused

Reaction score
Sat on the virtual sidelines for many months. Finally installed Litchi (iOS version) and started reading YouTube tutorials and practicing. I thought I had the latest version of Litchi - the tutorials screens don't perfectly match mine, particularly in the setups.

But my biggest concern is the absence of the radar screen. It still functions properly in the DJI GO app, but doesn't show up at all in my version of Litchi. Is there a setting that activates the radar icon and I'm overlooking it?

The power of the app for around $20 USD is amazing. And there are a number of good tutorials online for learning and using Litchi.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

There are only 2 screens in Litchi; the map view and camera view. On the map view, a green line from home point to the bird shows the general direction to the bird. If you haven't yet, I strongly urge you to sit down and thoroughly read the manual.

There are only 2 screens in Litchi; the map view and camera view. On the map view, a green line from home point to the bird shows the general direction to the bird. If you haven't yet, I strongly urge you to sit down and thoroughly read the manual.

Yes - have the manual and have been continually referring to said manual. I'm very much a "...read the directions..." type of guy.
Yes, there *are* two main screens, but there are many sub-screens (like general settings and mission settings, camera settings, etc.).

In many of the YouTube tutorials, the radar icon (an icon, not a screen!) shows up in the lower left corner, just like it does in the DJI GO app. The radar icon does *not* appear anywhere in the manual - at least not that I could find. It's often impossible (unless the videographer tells you) to identify the version a given video is using when running the Litchi app. The manual I have (which came from the Litchi web site) is apparently a February 2017 publication - virtually every YouTube "demo" I've seen appears to be older than that.

I am also aware of the "direct-connect" line on the map that shows the direction you need to take to get back to you (actually to return either to the home point or your controller, depending on whether you've moved or not!). The obvious question then is - "What happens to that line if you lose signal from your Phantom? If you're still properly executing the waypoint mission, you should be fine - it will continue just fine on its own. But if it, for whatever reason, loses contact *and* stops executing the mission (i.e., Murphy rears his ugly head), the Phantom might no longer know where you're standing - can it still draw that line and can it rotate your Phantom so you can tell the proper direction to fly.

Don't forget, if you truly lose contact (*all* contact) with your Phantom, that means it likely no longer knows where you are either - and the RTH function becomes more than iffy - but I wandering into a totally new thread.

It appears - bottom line - the radar screen "icon" no longer appears on the Litchi screen.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Yes - have the manual and have been continually referring to said manual. I'm very much a "...read the directions..." type of guy.
Yes, there *are* two main screens, but there are many sub-screens (like general settings and mission settings, camera settings, etc.).

In many of the YouTube tutorials, the radar icon (an icon, not a screen!) shows up in the lower left corner, just like it does in the DJI GO app. The radar icon does *not* appear anywhere in the manual - at least not that I could find. It's often impossible (unless the videographer tells you) to identify the version a given video is using when running the Litchi app. The manual I have (which came from the Litchi web site) is apparently a February 2017 publication - virtually every YouTube "demo" I've seen appears to be older than that.

I am also aware of the "direct-connect" line on the map that shows the direction you need to take to get back to you (actually to return either to the home point or your controller, depending on whether you've moved or not!). The obvious question then is - "What happens to that line if you lose signal from your Phantom? If you're still properly executing the waypoint mission, you should be fine - it will continue just fine on its own. But if it, for whatever reason, loses contact *and* stops executing the mission (i.e., Murphy rears his ugly head), the Phantom might no longer know where you're standing - can it still draw that line and can it rotate your Phantom so you can tell the proper direction to fly.

Don't forget, if you truly lose contact (*all* contact) with your Phantom, that means it likely no longer knows where you are either - and the RTH function becomes more than iffy - but I wandering into a totally new thread.

It appears - bottom line - the radar screen "icon" no longer appears on the Litchi screen.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

I believe the proper circular radar like the one on the GO app, is only available on the Android version of the app (as shown on page 2 of the Help section on the Litchi website, where it states -Radar: Shows the position of the aircraft relative to the operator's mobile device (Android only).)
I also miss this on Litchi.

Last edited:
The android version has it . iOS does not. My buddy iphone 7 doesn't have it in the corner but my S8+ does

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

You answered your own question here. The mission is stored on the aircraft and will continue flying until mission is complete even after complete signal loss. That means loss of telemetry, so you have no choice but to keep your fingers crossed that the mission will complete as programmed. Bottom line, no directional information and no manual control. Manual RTH is non-existent at that point. Rule of thumb for me anyway, set you last waypoint within close VLOS so even if for whatever reason you do not re-acquire signal, at least you know where the bird is. Set final action to Hover and even if the battery reaches critical it will land right there.

I believe the proper circular radar like the one on the GO app, is only available on the Android version of the app (as shown on page 2 of the Help section on the Litchi website, where it states -Radar: Shows the position of the aircraft relative to the operator's mobile device (Android only).)
I also miss this on Litchi.
Ok, makes sense since all of mine are on IOS.

You answered your own question here. The mission is stored on the aircraft and will continue flying until mission is complete even after complete signal loss. That means loss of telemetry, so you have no choice but to keep your fingers crossed that the mission will complete as programmed. Bottom line, no directional information and no manual control. Manual RTH is non-existent at that point. Rule of thumb for me anyway, set you last waypoint within close VLOS so even if for whatever reason you do not re-acquire signal, at least you know where the bird is. Set final action to Hover and even if the battery reaches critical it will land right there.

He, he, he, he - after I posted, I realized I had indeed answered my own question! Ya got me!

Obviously, in a full-blown failure, you're on your own. Apologies to the first responder of my post, as well - he answered most of my question and I got a little long-winded in my response.

I think part of my problem is that I want something electronic to continue "...holding my hand..." kind of like the radar icon did (or the line showing the straight-line path back to me. It will hopefully be just fine once I gain a little more confidence!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Ok, makes sense since all of mine are on IOS.

I wrote further down that I owed you an apology. You sort of answered my question and I tried to get a little too technical (and succeeded only in being rather long-winded!). Thanks for your response and your patience.

My first few months with my P3Pro utilized android software. I finally relented and bought an iPadMini. I absolutely despise iTunes and am tickled to discover I can get my cached video and recorded screens from my iPad to my PC without too much fuss.

Guess I'll have to learn to live without the radar!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav