Litchi question

Reaction score
Hi guys...this question has probably been answered elsewhere but here goes anyway...

I've been flying P3's for nearly 12 months (standard and now Advanced) and have over 180 flights under my belt all with DJI GO. I've just switched over to Lichi after the recent GO app and Samsung issues.

The GO app calculates how much battery is remaining and when the bird should RTH....does Litchi do this or do you just get a battery warning at the point you set up in preferences??

Thanks

Andy

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

The GO app calculates how much battery is remaining and when the bird should RTH....does Litchi do this or do you just get a battery warning at the point you set up in preferences?
Those settings are stored on the Phantom and executed by the Phantom itself. It doesn't matter which app you're using to fly.

Reactions: Andy Roberts
You should see your battery percentage in the upper right hand corner of your Litchi app screen...
Yeah thanks Mark....was just a bit concerned and didn't want to take it any real distance incase it just hit the battery level and landed....so I take it you get a warning like on GO???

Reactions: Mark The Droner
actually Litchi ALSO having issues with samsung just like DJI Go does. Go read reviews under Litchi app,you'll see alot of reviews about Samsung being reboot during flying. Also Litchi uses DJI Go in some way. So, I'd suggest to roll back to 2.8.3 on DJI Go via APK and turn off Samsung's battery option via "Fast charging". thats it. After that, should be no problem.

Reactions: Andy Roberts
actually Litchi ALSO having issues with samsung just like DJI Go does. Go read reviews under Litchi app,you'll see alot of reviews about Samsung being reboot during flying. Also Litchi uses DJI Go in some way. So, I'd suggest to roll back to 2.8.3 on DJI Go via APK and turn off Samsung's battery option via "Fast charging". thats it. After that, should be no problem.
To be fair the only issue I had was plugging my S7edge in....it restarted, but after that it was fine (using GO app) however I'm not sure the power button wasn't being pressed by the tablet holder on the RC....it only use my phone as a backup device, normally use a Samsung Galaxy tab S2 8", which was flawless today.

Switched to litchi because of the recent GO app reviews, plus love the tracking on Litchi and the Magic leash. Not tried waypoints just yet...got to get my brave up first!! Seeing a £700 price of kit fly away and lose signal seems unnatural at the moment. I just find the tracking makes somewhat difficult "follow shots" much easier than GO. I really don't get why GO can't use Active track on P3's. The only difference is the collision avoidance sensors on the P4. If a 3rd party app can do it, why won't DJI unlock it for us P3 owners!!!!!

Hello, litchi uses the go app for the safety and to answer your question no panic your ok. Don't worry
Why do people say this? You don't need to have GO loaded on your device at all to fly with Lichi.

The only reason you need to have GO is for some of the calibration, and even then I think you can do most if not all of it using DJI Assistant.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Litchi is not designed or advertised to be a 100% replacement for GO. It's an add-on and a supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Litchi works as an app in place of Go. Uninstall Go. Install Litchi.

Or leave GO installed...just make sure you quit it before running Litchi. I have both loaded on my phone, but I only use Go for drone housekeeping duties.Otherwise, Litchi is a substantially superior app relative to my drone needs.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Regarding Litchi, what is the best way to learn how to use it? Does it come with a good online manual? The YouTube videos I have seen seem pretty confusing.
For me it's a mix of trying it out in person and watching YouTube. Tomorrow I will do my first way point mission where I know the remote will lose connection with the drone but it will still fly it's course on the way point and return home. Am I nervous? Hell yes.... But this day had to come sooner or later lol

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Regarding Litchi, what is the best way to learn how to use it? Does it come with a good online manual? The YouTube videos I have seen seem pretty confusing.
You can find a lot of helpful information here on Litchi's website.

Autopilot is to Litchi as Litchi is to DJI Go!

Litchi adds a lot of capabilities that Go doesn't provide - and improves on the ones that Go does provide - but when you come up with a scenario that Litchi can't handle - take a look at Autopilot. All 3rd party Phantom Apps require the DJI SDK for communications with the Phantom - but Autopilot is the only one of them (so far) that has also written their own Flight Controller which allows them to provide unique capabilities and options that are simply not possible relying solely on the DJI SDK. But don't take my word for it - check out the Autopilot "Flight School" series of videos on YouTube which highlight some of the things that are possible - and walk you through how to do it!

Autopilot is to Litchi as Litchi is to DJI Go!

Litchi adds a lot of capabilities that Go doesn't provide - and improves on the ones that Go does provide - but when you come up with a scenario that Litchi can't handle - take a look at Autopilot. All 3rd party Phantom Apps require the DJI SDK for communications with the Phantom - but Autopilot is the only one of them (so far) that has also written their own Flight Controller which allows them to provide unique capabilities and options that are simply not possible relying solely on the DJI SDK. But don't take my word for it - check out the Autopilot "Flight School" series of videos on YouTube which highlight some of the things that are possible - and walk you through how to do it!
I have no experience with Autopilot. It looks like it has some neat featurs, but it appears that if you elect to fly an autonomous mission (LCMC active) then, unlike Litchi, you revert to the DJI Flight Controller and you lose the ability to change waypoint speeds or altitudes or initiate any camera actions, and...correct me if I'm wrong...I don't see that there are any camera exposure controls provided in the app and it doesn't appear that the exposure wheel on the R/C transmitter is functional, and, I don't see where mission planning on a home computer with subsequent upload to an iOS device is possible.

It does appear that AutoFlight Logic's online tutorials and videos are rather far behind, so maybe I'm not understanding the whole concept.

I have no experience with Autopilot. It looks like it has some neat featurs, but it appears that if you elect to fly an autonomous mission (LCMC active) then, unlike Litchi, you revert to the DJI Flight Controller and you lose the ability to change waypoint speeds or altitudes or initiate any camera actions, and...correct me if I'm wrong...I don't see that there are any camera exposure controls provided in the app and it doesn't appear that the exposure wheel on the R/C transmitter is functional, and, I don't see where mission planning on a home computer with subsequent upload to an iOS device is possible.

It does appear that AutoFlight Logic's online tutorials and videos are rather far behind, so maybe I'm not understanding the whole concept.

For Waypoint missions - staying in communications with the RC enables all of the benefits of the Autopilot Flight Controller. Enabling the LCMC requires using the DJI Flight Controller and the behaviour and options are supposed to be identical between Litchi and Autopilot. The only way for LCMC to work is to upload the entire flight mission to the drone and the capabilities are limited by DJI's SDK. The power of Autopilot - when it comes to Waypoint missions - requires that the drone maintain a connection with the RC throughout the entire mission. If you have no use cases where this is possible - perhaps Litchi is good enough for you - but I've found all kinds of uses for Autopilot waypoints (golf course hole by hole flyover videos) - where I am able to maintain a connection and take advantage of the advanced features. All of the other Autopilot modes provide more flexibility than Litchi's - which is great if you need it - but those who don't need those advanced options may see them as overkill. One of the biggest differences is that Autopilot is altitude aware - important during follow missions if the target is going uphill or downhill. I'm not sure if Litchi can do this or not - but DJI Go definitely can not - and using "Follow" with DJI Go in an area with elevation changes is at best going to result in a poor video with an inconsistent follow altitude and at worst it will drive your drone straight into the side of a hill! Autopilot also has a free "Airspace" app which turns any iPhone into a beacon that can be locked onto for Following or for maintaining the camera aim - iPhone 6 and higher include a barometer which is able to accurately transmit altitude information so the drone can maintain the specified altitude above the target as the target changes elevation. You can also specify an offset from the beacon for following - so you could actually create a follow mission where the drone follows an iPhone in a boat that's pulling a water-skier - and have the camera focus x meters behind the iPhone (on the skier instead of the boat).

It's impossible to outline all of the options that are available with Autopilot because there are so many. Many people think that there is a steep learning curve - but it's actually not as bad as it looks - since every feature is set the same way. Once you learn the terminology - it's pretty easy. Litchi is cheaper - and the consensus is that it's more intuitive - but anyone who tells you that it's just as powerful as Autopilot (or more so) hasn't really dug into Autopilot. My advice would be to start with Litchi - and when you encounter a situation where Litchi doesn't provide the options to do "exactly" what you want - before you settle on a workaround - take a look at Autopilot and I'll bet it's possible!

I haven't looked at the YouTube videos lately but they were pretty comprehensive when I first went through them about a year ago. As they add new features though - I think they create supplemental videos rather than recreate the videos from scratch every time they add a new bell or whistle.

Yes, Autopilot looks pretty good unless one has a need or desire to fly autonomous missions LCMC.

I don't understand why you keep saying that. Autopilot and Litchi have identical capabilities for autonomous LCMC missions.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

From the current Autopilot Flight School...at Flight School - Autoflight Logic

So, clarify, if you care to take the time. Litchi works pretty well for me and I don't feel particularly compelled to spend $30 to investigate the merits of Autopilot on my own.

autopilot.jpg

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic