Litchi question

There are many features on Litchi, but primarily (at least from my point), if you want to do any autonomous flying that's the way to do it. Go will not do autonomous flights unless you fly a mission manually first. With Litchi you can pre-set your flights. Litchi for DJI Phantom/Inspire

Reactions: ArZombie
And you can design those flights on a web-enabled app (at your kitchen table on your laptop if you want to) with GoogleEarth and do them offline and then open/load them (with a WiFi connection, of course) later from your tablet or phone when you're ready to actually fly them. It's AWESOME if you need or want this sort of capability.

Reactions: ArZombie
You can also use magic leash which is like Follow Me mode but it can follow someone with a smart phone instead of the RC.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hi,
I'd like to see the videos but all I see is white space. Nothing to click on, no link. Just :

Only bigger.
Do I need to download something to see the vids on this site?
Thanks ... Ed

Thanks for the tip. I'll get my self a little more acclimated before going for the advanced class!
I'm a bit frustrated at the moment. The wind here has been blowing 15-20 kts since I got my p4 a couple of days ago.
Don't think that's a good environment to learn in. It's too expensive to make a mistake. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to shoot something and post it here.

Thanks again.

It allows you to do amazing flights like this:

...and this:

Whoa, Dirty..... that's some phenomenal video! You've got some major league wavos there, especially the dual drone at night, very cool stuff. My heart was racing when you got so close to the buildings, but it was cool seeing inside the boardroom of major corporations, Hah!. I found this most interesting because I recently had lunch at Chipotle, near Hard Rock, on that pier 3mos ago, late April when I was on vacation. Have you flown Ft McHenry yet? I almost flew it but the weather didn't cooperate. Here's where I scouted out to launch from.

At the end of the night flight it appeared you had security giving you a problem in the parking lot? Police? Ticket? What happened?

Last edited:
Thanks. Flown past Fort McHenry many times.

Whoa, Dirty..... that's some phenomenal video! You've got some major league wavos there, especially the dual drone at night, very cool stuff. My heart was racing when you got so close to the buildings, but it was cool seeing inside the boardroom of major corporations, Hah!. I found this most interesting because I recently had lunch at Chipotle, near Hard Rock, on that pier 3mos ago, late April when I was on vacation. Have you flown Ft McHenry yet? I almost flew it but the weather didn't cooperate.

Reactions: Big Al KY
Not sure how you are viewing the site? Are you using the PP app? Try it with a browser directly. Sometimes the app has issues with videos. It'll be worth your effort. :)

Hi,
I'd like to see the videos but all I see is white space. Nothing to click on, no link. Just :

Only bigger.
Do I need to download something to see the vids on this site?
Thanks ... Ed

Now I know why you want those long flight batteries.

So when you used Litchi for these flights, how much of it was flying blind, where you didn't have a video feed?

With P3P I believe you need to put the PAF switch on F to enable Litchi autonomous flights. What method is used with the PSA switch on the P4 to enable the Litchi autonomous flight plan?

I've gotta try out Litchi. I've got autoflight, and it's very capable, but it won't fly totally autonomous like Litchi.

Man, you really get close to those buildings. I'm not sure I would trust GPS that much, given the 15' tolerance and possible wind gusts. But that's just me. I assume you haven't had any issues with that, right?

Yes must have hydrogen cell technology! :cool:

Those are P3 Standards so you only have RC/FPV for the first 2500-3500' or so. Whenever you see the rear lights flashing rapid yellow contact with the RC is broken & the bird is flying the mission autonomously.

With the P3P/A/S you put the switch in F-mode. You switch to any other mode to abort & regain manual control. With the P4 there is no F-mode. Just load the mission & go. Switch to any other mode to abort & regain manual.

Appearances are deceiving with a 20mm lens. The birds aren't really that close to the building it just looks that way. On the high-speed "Ring-Around-the-Ritz" pass the birds are 30-40' from the building. I have spiraled those buildings 100 times or more & time after time it is virtually identical. The Phantom's precision is pretty amazing.

Now I just need a dozen pilots & birds, 2 RECON birds, & a few camera-equipped spotters downtown for the most epic "Fellowship of the Phantom" sequence ever recorded! :)

Now I know why you want those long flight batteries.

So when you used Litchi for these flights, how much of it was flying blind, where you didn't have a video feed?

With P3P I believe you need to put the PAF switch on F to enable Litchi autonomous flights. What method is used with the PSA switch on the P4 to enable the Litchi autonomous flight plan?

I've gotta try out Litchi. I've got autoflight, and it's very capable, but it won't fly totally autonomous like Litchi.

Man, you really get close to those buildings. I'm not sure I would trust GPS that much, given the 15' tolerance and possible wind gusts. But that's just me. I assume you haven't had any issues with that, right?

Yes must have hydrogen cell technology! :cool:

Those are P3 Standards so you only have RC/FPV for the first 2500-3500' or so. Whenever you see the rear lights flashing rapid yellow contact with the RC is broken & the bird is flying the mission autonomously.

With the P3P/A/S you put the switch in F-mode. You switch to any other mode to abort & regain manual control. With the P4 there is no F-mode. Just load the mission & go. Switch to any other mode to abort & regain manual.

Appearances are deceiving with a 20mm lens. The birds aren't really that close to the building it just looks that way. On the high-speed "Ring-Around-the-Ritz" pass the birds are 30-40' from the building. I have spiraled those buildings 100 times or more & time after time it is virtually identical. The Phantom's precision is pretty amazing.

Now I just need a dozen pilots & birds, 2 RECON birds, & a few camera-equipped spotters downtown for the most epic "Fellowship of the Phantom" sequence ever recorded! :)
Freaking amazing video's man! All done with the Litchi App? Did you use Google Earth at all? Pretty extensive programming of that mission I would think with all the elevation changing quite a bit. You are killing it!

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Thank you. Just Litchi, Google Maps, a bit or research/reconnaissance, & some test flights. From the time the birds lift off until return they are flying the programmed mission. I pause the first bird at the first waypoint until the second is in position, then unpause them in unison.

Freaking amazing video's man! All done with the Litchi App? Did you use Google Earth at all? Pretty extensive programming of that mission I would think with all the elevation changing quite a bit. You are killing it!

Last edited:
The security guy was just a curious observer. I've been flying from that location for a couple of months & have gotten to know several of the guards. He stayed for the entire flight. He was awed watching them fly off into the night sky & then return together. :cool:

Whoa, Dirty..... that's some phenomenal video! You've got some major league wavos there, especially the dual drone at night, very cool stuff. My heart was racing when you got so close to the buildings, but it was cool seeing inside the boardroom of major corporations, Hah!. I found this most interesting because I recently had lunch at Chipotle, near Hard Rock, on that pier 3mos ago, late April when I was on vacation. Have you flown Ft McHenry yet? I almost flew it but the weather didn't cooperate. Here's where I scouted out to launch from.

At the end of the night flight it appeared you had security giving you a problem in the parking lot? Police? Ticket? What happened?

Thank you. Just Litchi, Google Maps, a bit or research/reconnaissance, & some test flights. From the time the birds lift off until return they are flying the programmed mission. I pause the first bird at the first waypoint until the second is in position, then impasse them in unison.
So you loaded the same identical mission into both birds? How do you know they will fly the same speed? I never realized GPS could do a good enough job to synchronize flight like that, however I did see where one bird was on a different course at times, but somehow it came back into the view of the second bird, even though it took a longer course. How does that work? Litchi isn't following the first drone is it?

First I timed each bird running the same mission & found they were very, very, close in timing. I next took the original flight, saved it under a different file name, moved the start/end point for the chase bird 25' back, then adjusted each chase bird waypoint +10' for some vertical separation should the chase bird catch the leader. Aircraft yawing is identical for both birds. They are flying the exact path/waypoints but, due to yawing, you momentarily lose sight of the lead bird at a few spots.

I've tested this before on the less-complex "Harbor Shot Squadron Run" daylight mission. One thing I found is the yawing has to remain constant for all birds as yawing slows a bird down. This (& missing adjusting a single waypoint) caused a mid-air collision the first time I tried this! :eek: The Squadron Run videos are available on my YouTube channel.

Also each bird is unique. One may be slightly faster than another. From earlier tests I knew "Darth Videous" was a hair slower than "Miss Ruby" so I put Darth in the back. You want faster birds up front so they don't overtake slower ones. Also P4s are faster in wind at high speeds (these missions run @ 30 mph due to their length). I imagine this is because the P4's smooth shell is more aerodynamic that the P3's course shell. If mixing P3/P4 in a flight I recommend the P4s be up front.

So you loaded the same identical mission into both birds? How do you know they will fly the same speed? I never realized GPS could do a good enough job to synchronize flight like that, however I did see where one bird was on a different course at times, but somehow it came back into the view of the second bird, even though it took a longer course. How does that work? Litchi isn't following the first drone is it?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20